Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

Matt Leitholt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I'm on the fence about this. Your thoughts please? Samples might convince me too

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:09 AM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

The octa is a great modifier, but I'd rather save $900 and get something like an 86" PLM instead. Now, I'm not saying a PLM is exactly the same, but a white one with the diffusion panel should provide the soft light you're looking for!

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:53 AM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #3 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

Mike Yamin wrote:
The octa is a great modifier, but I'd rather save $900 and get something like an 86" PLM instead. Now, I'm not saying a PLM is exactly the same, but a white one with the diffusion panel should provide the soft light you're looking for!

+1, I have PCB 60" sliver PLM with white diffuser, I love it.

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:32 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I've had one and they are great. Really great, but I don't know if it's that much greater than the PLM. It's like buying a mola beauty dish. They're great, but are they that much greater than a regular one? It's a lot of extra cash for 5-10% better. Or maybe just 5-10% different.

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:45 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

A question I've wrestled with. I have an Octa and love it, but I also have a $99 Photek that I love. The light from both is wonderful and while the Octa has some light light modification features that the Photek lacks, there isn't much difference in the overall quality of light.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:45 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #6 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I have it and love it, it opens quickly and sets up in under 2 minutes. I also have Mola dishes, so i guess i'm one of those that - "pays for 5-10% difference in light".

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:54 PM
TehKimchi
• •
p.1 #7 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

Have it and love it, it's my go to modifier for most of my shots.
If I lack space, I usually switch to the 39" deep octa.
Light is great, diffused evenly, and it gets quickly set up. It can be a bit heavy for your stand and even heavier if it's windy, so you'll always need to have someone next to it unless you're shooting inside. I tend to put it high a lot so my assistant always holds the stand out of safety. It's an expensive modifier, after all.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:25 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #8 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

The real question is the size of the light source and the distance from the subject. Then there is the matter of spill. A Softlighter is very inexpensive but is invaluable in its ability to deliver soft light to the subject while still being a very light weight modifier.
Do you want a round light or is a rectangle OK? Given similar sizes the quality of light will be the same. The next question is how deep will the modifier be? In a small studio a deep modifier will eat up valuable space. The downside is that a shallow box loses output due to the diffusion necessary to minimize hot spots.
Do you want the ability to attach grids? Very useful to minimize spill.

Many great photographers use Octas but just as many use PLMs, Softlighters, Umbrellas and sundry boxes and BDs.

I would rent an Octa before buying and also check out other modifiers via renting to see how similar they can be and how size and distance makes the real difference. This also goes for using BDs and small softboxes and Softlighters.

Experiment and judge honestly. The raves you see from a guy who just spent $1000 are not going to give you a real balanced view of the product.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Matt Leitholt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I've used a soft lighter and it wasn't too bad, also picked up the 39" deep octa. Have a ton of rectangle boxes, I think I'll use what I have for now or maybe pick up a PLM

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:45 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I bought the 60" Softlighter when I started my career, moved up to the Octa when I could and love the quality of light. I know that variety is good, so I also like the Profoto beauty dish as an alternative and a 4 bulb Kino Flo from time to time. I'd suggest renting a couple modifiers including the newer mid size Elinchrom boxes and see which one you prefer.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thumphrey

p.1 #11 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

The Octa has a beautiful SOFT light. It's almost luminescent. I've started to take the front diffuser off and it really snaps up the image. It sets up in no time. I really like it!

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #12 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

Do they still have the peeling issue with the inner fabric? I've thought about replacing mine but would hate to go through the same thing again.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:43 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #13 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I wasn't aware the 74" box had a peeling issue. I thought it was just a small bad batch of the 39" DO, no?

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #14 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

NO, all the Elinchrom Octas have issues with the silver foil peeling off. My 74" is a little, but it's 10 years old and my 39" Octa(non DO) is the worst, but it is also 10 years old. My 39" Deep Octa is fine and seems to be made with a sturdier version of foil than the older ones were. I'm considering getting the replacement shell for my 74" since it's only $400+ compared to buying an entirely new one.

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM
thumphrey

p.1 #15 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I've had peeling issues with the Octa but haven't seen any issues with the light it produces. It is disconcerting to spend that kind of money and see the peeling. My Deep Octa was the worst and got it replaced. Replacement has been fine.

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:38 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #16 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I should have mentioned that even with the foil peeling the light quality is fine. My DO is only a few months old, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up. I wish they used the silver lining that Chimera uses though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:39 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #17 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I have two Eli Octas, both have the same material and will de-laminate right away if stretched too hard (eg. apply excessive force when mounting it onto the speedring). Chimera softboxes don't have this issue.

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:09 AM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #18 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

The light from mine is still great but it looks like crap and it's getting worse. Somewhere I read a tip that you should pack it with the diffuser wrapped around the rods and speedring so that they don't scraped the inside. I've also altered the mount so that it's more robust. Mine is an older model and I think that they've updated the material. It's pretty discouraging if they're still having issues with a $1k light modifier.

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Robb Mann
• •
p.1 #19 · Elinchrom 74" Octa

I'm interested in the fairly new 150cm indirect rotalux. Looks like a hybrid light bank. A bit more versatile. http://www.elinchrom.com/product/Rotalux-Indirect-150-cm.html

I've had my DO for about 4 years now. No delaminating issues. Fingers crossed.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:13 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password