Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kristin

Chris Schlaf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Kristin

Taken in the fall of 2011

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    140mm    f/2.8    1/250s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:23 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Kristin

This is a nice shot, but I'll pick nits.

First, the good:
The exposure on her face looks spot on, the light on her hair looks beautiful, and the pose and expression are both working for me. The shot looks reasonably sharp.

Where it doesn't entirely work for me is the rest of the frame. Did you darken everything but the face? When I look at her hands the exposure looks severely out of whack with the face. Same with all the lost details in the jacket/sweater/whatever she's wearing I CAN'T SEE IT.

I'm all for a little selective dodging and burning to draw the eye to the desired focal center of the image, but I think here the spread between light and dark is just too much.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Kristin

Howdy,

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

This photo has a nice light on her face and nice expression captured. Good on that.

But, I don't like the composition.

Why?

Because this image has an illusion that the horizontal wavy bar is coming out of her chest.

While you know she is on a bench, and I know that too (logically), the image shows a woman with a wavy bar coming from her chest.

My Simple Suggestions:

1. Next time show more of the bench and body. Or crop this image.

2 Or, burn that horizontal bar so it does not jump out of the image as shown now.

3. A different POV and composition would avoid this illusion in the future.

I hope these comments help you.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:42 PM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Kristin

the lighting on the hair looks good

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:26 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password