Archive 2012 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Studio Space question for newbie

Hi guys!

I'm in a need of a good advise...

I've been asked by friends to photograph cloths on a mannequin for online shop,
the space they have available is 4X2.2 Meters,

Do you think the space is big enough to shoot dresses on mannequin?
Set-UP: I'm thinking about 2 front lights+1 light to flood the background.
If so, do you believe it wold be also comfy enough to shoot a live model? (we plan to cut-off the face of the model)

Thanx alot! any advise is welcomed!

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:46 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Studio Space question for newbie

For a mannequin, I believe it would work. For a model, it might start to feel to close and awkward.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Studio Space question for newbie

That's a really tight space, especially the 2.2m dimension. You'd have trouble lighting the background seperately from the subject.

If that's all you have, though, then you have to make it work. I'd get a camera with a tilt/swivel LCD, and put it against the back wall and use Live View to compose the image. With the tilt/swivel LCD you can stand beside the camera to work.

I'd use a single light in a medium soft box over the camera to light the subject, and let bounced light take care of the fill light. You can use white panels to one (for directional shadowing) or both (for more-even lighting) sides of the space for more bounce if needed, and black panels to increase contrast. ("Negative lighting.")

A pure white seamless background will give you the most options for putting the pictures on Web sites and print catalogs. (You can "knock out" the background and add any color or pattern in Photoshop.)

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:58 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Studio Space question for newbie

You will not have room to focus your lights. That is about 7' wide so both would be almost in front. Maybe a single light might work. Also the bounce from the walls acting like a reflector is another issue and limiting creative use of the lifghts.
I would do a test before the real shoot.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:02 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Studio Space question for newbie

It'll be fine. You could build a three sided box with 4x8 foot white foam insulation from HD, stand the model in the middle and fire one light into it. You'll end up with amazing images and have room to spare.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Studio Space question for newbie

hondageek wrote:
...4x8 foot white foam insulation from HD...

Does Home Depot have stores in Israel?

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:33 PM
frosti

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Studio Space question for newbie

BenV,BrianO,jefferies1,hondageek thank you guys for your insights!

It seems that one light is the way to go, (with another one on the background?)
The shoot is going to be in singapore, i cant really make a test shoot because we have to buy all the equipment first to do it (and i'm not there yet)

hondageek, if i understood you correctly your talking about an "oversized" lightbox like those ones used for small items photography?
i've done a sketch based on your mesuarments, tell me if i'm on the same page as you:
http://i48./104rdx4.jpg

If so - then my question is, wouldnt such box kill off ALL the shadows making the model look flat?
i know it sounds cheeky, but i actually want to match the quality of the following website at the fraction of the cost:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/311166

Thanx again guys!

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:36 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti wrote:
If so - then my question is, wouldnt such box kill off ALL the shadows making the model look flat?
i know it sounds cheeky, but i actually want to match the quality of the following website at the fraction of the cost:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/311166

Using common light modifiers in such a tight space bears the problem of excessive fall-off, i.e a very uneven lighting, unless you end up in flat front lighting. To achieve a result similar to the one in the link, my idea is to use Lastolite's HiLite 5"x7" as a side light, set up close to the (left hand) wall.
It takes up very little space so there's enough net distance to the subject. With two or three flashes inside it acts as a head-to-toe sidelight, similar to a softbox.
www.lastolite.com/hilite-backgrounds.php
In case that the opposite wall is painted white you likely wouldn't need any additional fill light.
(available in Singapore at SLR Revolution Pte Ltd, 109 North Bridge Road #04-18 Funan Digitalife Mall Singapore 179097 Tel: 6336 8767 )

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:27 AM
frosti

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Studio Space question for newbie

Very interesting suggestion Peter! thank you!
I've already contacted them to check their stock,

If i understand correctly, Your suggesting to use it as the main light because it should offer more "directional" and contrast lightning as opposed to using "regular softbox" in such cramped space?

I'm also thinking of using a second HiLite as a white background - overall 2 walls of lite, one for background and one as the main side lighting + the other wall acting as reflector as suggested.
How does this sound to you guys?

P.S - the ceiling height is 2.7 Meters (9')

Thank you again everyone, this helps a lot.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:19 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti wrote:
If i understand correctly, Your suggesting to use it as the main light because it should offer more "directional" and contrast lightning as opposed to using "regular softbox" in such cramped space?

I'm also thinking of using a second HiLite as a white background - overall 2 walls of lite, one for background and one as the main side lighting + the other wall acting as reflector as suggested.
How does this sound to you guys?

It uses much less depth than any regular softbox, sufficient lighting distance is crucial to get a) low fall-off b) highlight+shadow depth by side-lighting. Let's say, the manequin is in center or the room (=1,10m) what makes for about 80 - 90 cm distance to the wall. Minus the 30cm of the HiLite leaves 50 to 60cm lighting distance.
Instead of tilting the "softbox", what is impossible in your case, you fix the lights either higher or lower going inside the Hilite. You'll get pretty even light from head to toe then, despite the narrow lighting distance.
Using a second HiLite for BG is a good idea, unless the BG gets knocked-out later (?)....

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:33 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Studio Space question for newbie

Frosti, You have the idea. It's really inexpensive to build, easy to light, and will give you stunning results. It's so cheap you could build one at home to test with.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti wrote:
...hondageek, if i understood you correctly your talking about an "oversized" lightbox like those ones used for small items photography? ...If so - then my question is, wouldnt such box kill off ALL the shadows making the model look flat?

The difference is that a light box is a "shoot-through" design that is lit from the outside; and yes, that would create very flat lighting.

What hondageek suggested is the use a three opaque panels as background and sides; they would provide some reflection to fill the shadows, but your main light (from the front) would still be brighter and provide definition. It's what I was suggesting when I talked about "white panels" on the side walls and white seamless for the background, except his version uses three 4-foot-wide foam panels.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:16 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Studio Space question for newbie

^ Exactly.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:31 PM
frosti

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Studio Space question for newbie

The thing that i dont understand is, if i'm going use opaque walls and light it head on - isnt it going to kill the shadows?
Alternatively, if i use a shoot-thru material, i could light only a single side, which *theoretically* should give me contrasy look?

Using a second HiLite for BG is a good idea, unless the BG gets knocked-out later (?)....

The BG is going to be near the back wall so it stays, when i'm thinking about it, what are the benefits of using HiLite as BG? i could use paper+strobe,
do you think the HiLite BG would save much space?
also, do you think that there would be chance to use model there as well?

looking at my reference site, i see that their cloths photography aren't that contrasy, or am i wrong..
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/332887

Thank you guys!

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:22 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Studio Space question for newbie

You'll still get shadows. They will be filled nicely though. I'd place your light above camera, just to one side. Maybe 6-8 inches (15-20cm) just to give a bit of angle to accentuate texture, contours, etc.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:49 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti wrote:
The thing that i dont understand is, if i'm going use opaque walls and light it head on - isnt it going to kill the shadows?

No, you'll still have some shadows, but not too much. You want to show texture, but probably don't need a "film noir style" lighting scheme. (Your example looks front-lit to me. If you look at the one with the model in the blue dress holding the purse you can see that the shadow of the purse is mostly below the purse, and the shadow of the model on the back wall is only slightly offset. I'd say the light was just above head level and only a foot or so to camera right.)

frosti wrote:
...Alternatively, if i use a shoot-thru material, i could light only a single side, which *theoretically* should give me contrasy look?

With only a 2.2 metre (7 foot) wide shooting space, I don't see how you could get even coverage from top to bottom using a shoot-through from the side. The Lastolite Hi-Lite could work, but they aren't cheap.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM
frosti

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Studio Space question for newbie

Guys, would it look something like this? (measurements are +-accurate)
http://i46./2qwk0f6.jpg

perhaps should make the side panel's shorter, and in case i wont find such foam panels (DIY shops in SG are virtually non-existant) i was thinking about building such "cage" from PVC pipes and lining it with white cloth/paper?
also, should i use Rectangular or Square softbox?

Another option would be ordering Lastolite Hilite from BH and using it as a giant wall softbox:
http://i50./2zghjb7.jpg

P.S
PeterBerressem,
do you know of anyone else that might be carrying lastolite in sg?
slr-revolution want 1k+3 month delivery time

P.P.S
At least my drawing skills are improving

THANK'S A LOT GUYS!

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti wrote:
P.S
PeterBerressem,
do you know of anyone else that might be carrying lastolite in sg?
slr-revolution want 1k+3 month delivery time

1k? This is overkill. So, I'd improvise as follows:
--- a large silver reflector taped to the wall,
e.g. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/215018-REG/Lastolite_LL_LR7231_4x6_Reflector_Silver_White.html
--- a lightstand besides with one source on top (at 1.8m) and another source fixed lower (at 1,2m, pointing down?) to the stand (using a Manfrotto Superclamp+stud), bouncing into the reflector,
--- a diffuson frame going in front of this, distance more or less 30cm.
e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/215023REG/Lastolite_LL_LR7207_4x6_Reflector_White_Translucent.html
(references to B&H just to illustrate the items).
The sources might work barebulb, you will see and test it. You may need something black (muslin?) to flag the light coming out of the gap opposed to the light sources.
Easy to carry, I'd say.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM
frosti7

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Studio Space question for newbie

Hi everyone
Many months have passed but i wanted to thank you all for your great help,
I've managed to build the studio and have good results
Thanks again everyone you helped alot!

http://oi43./33ypemv.jpg

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Studio Space question for newbie

frosti7 wrote:
Hi everyone ...Many months have passed but i wanted to thank you all for your great help, I've managed to build the studio and have good results
Thanks again everyone you helped alot!

Nice work; how did you set up your space, and what kind of gear did you get?

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.