Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Retouch Menu

lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The Retouch Menu

Just curious to know, how many of you use the options available in the retouch menu?

I did a 15 minute demonstration last night to my photography club - mostly filled with Canon and Sony shooters, and I think I left some people wishing that they had a retouch menu in their camera's afterwards. Of course, I spoke to the fact that many of the in camera features are easily available in any of the major editing programs such as LR, PS, etc... But its nice to have instant feedback on what an image would look like with a different crop, or a quick black and white preview, etc.

I demonstrated some of the basics - like the cropping (trim), image rotation, and resizing option. I talked about the RAW processing in camera. I did a quick demo on some of the filter effects. I showed off the cheesie fish-eye effect, which some people thought was interesting.

But my favorite cheese-ball effect is the Colour Sketch effect - and I demonstrated some images that I did on the fly. I think most folks walked away with an appreciation for having these in-camera options. Albeit - processing on the computer will render much better results.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:32 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · The Retouch Menu

Hey, David..."guilty" here as well I don't PP (save to crop) so this is huge for me. Every once in awhile
I'll be off on my EC when subject moves thru a shadow a simple press of D-Lighting and I can adjust on
the spot. I prefer my 'monkey one-click B&W treatment over the in camera B&W but it's cool to view inna
pinch. Some captures lend themselves so well to the old school look, eh?!

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #3 · The Retouch Menu

I've played with it just for kicks, but don't 'use' it for much since I shoot RAW. However, I did find that it's kind of useful for getting good RAW color balance in landscapes, as I'll explain . . .

If you shoot RAW + JPG and edit the color balance of the JPG using the retouch menu to match the scene before leaving the spot, you can have that as a reference for RAW editing later. It's a bit better than just using the WB controls since you have the Blue/Amber as well as the Green/Magenta to tweak as you would in Lightroom. The camera WB tuning is limited to B/A only (at least in the D600).

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · The Retouch Menu

One thing that I was saying to the group last night ... is that for composition - its nice to be able to see what an image is going to look like cropped in camera on site - for example, if I want to shoot something, and I am wondering what it would like as a square crop -- voila, I can do it with the trim function (crop).

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #5 · The Retouch Menu

I use it on travels when printing thru pictbridge on a polaroid Pogo printer.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:06 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · The Retouch Menu

Chris Dees wrote:
I use it on travels when printing thru pictbridge on a polaroid Pogo printer.

Yes, I use the features for prepping an image to post via my ipad. Usually for facebook updates, etc.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:08 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · The Retouch Menu

Never used the retouch menu, but, guess I should at least give it a try.

Dec 08, 2012 at 06:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password