Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · event printers

vraspa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · event printers

Any suggestions for a new event printer?

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · event printers

What kind of event?

Most ppl will push for dye-sub, as they are most convenient for 'events' - that is, load a roll of paper and 'ink' and they'll give you 250+ prints without intervention. They're fast also, spitting out 5x7s in about 15 seconds or so.

Then there is me, but I only do events that range from 1000 to 15,000 competitors per day. I use inkjets. By pooling multiple inkjets together, I can match or beat the speed of a dyesub and have built in redundancy - all for a fraction of the cost of a single dye sub. The catch: you have to feed them more often.... paper and ink.

Also with inkjets, you can get supplies at nearly ANY office store in the country - or even a new printer if you need. With dyesub, you had better order all the supplies you think you might need, because there are very few stores carrying supplies... usually internet order.

Finally, inkjets offer a wide variety of paper choices. Not that you would present that to your customers, but at least you have the choice to give them a better looking print (glossy, matte, luster and anything in between) than with dye-sub (only one type available) And ask anybody who has ever seen a dye sub print compared to an inkjet: side by side - they'll tell you that the inkjet has more depth and looks better.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · event printers

If you want to check out a printer then google the DNP SnapLab printer.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · event printers

I've been using Shinkos, now called Sinfonia. Check PFS in Queens.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · event printers

I have a Sony snaplab (before they sold to DNP). I am looking to replace it. Was just wondering what others are useing. Don't want to go with inkjet. You can link multiple snaplab printers but i'm not looking for that kind of volume. There are so any printers out there it's just tough to choose. I will google Shinkos, thanks.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:34 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · event printers

I would look at the DNP DNS 80 or DNS 40 depending on your event printing needs. Ease of use and workflow is what I look for in event printing. My old Kodak ML500 is going out to pasture (Anyone need a pristine ML500 or parts even?). I used a DNS 80 at our last event and will be picking up a few more. With 8x10s in thirteen seconds from the ML500, I figure three DNS 80 printers will be a good replacement.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:19 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · event printers

I was looking at some printers on this site, especially the Shinko Color Stream CS2
http://www.imagingspectrum.com/printers/

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vraspa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · event printers

4x4, I like the looks of that one.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:14 PM
a123
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · event printers

Hammy wrote:
What kind of event?

Most ppl will push for dye-sub, as they are most convenient for 'events' - that is, load a roll of paper and 'ink' and they'll give you 250+ prints without intervention. They're fast also, spitting out 5x7s in about 15 seconds or so.

Then there is me, but I only do events that range from 1000 to 15,000 competitors per day. I use inkjets. By pooling multiple inkjets together, I can match or beat the speed of a dyesub and have built in redundancy - all for a fraction of the cost of a single dye sub. The
...Show more

What inkjet printers do you use for your events?

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · event printers

I've always used Canon models, Epsons are too slow.
When I started out I used the S-series: S8??, S900s, S960s and S9000. Today, I have 4x iP4600's that I take to 1-2 events per year, otherwise use iP9000-II's in the office.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
luketrot
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · event printers

I have to agree with Hammy, if your only printing 1-2 events per year like he is then definitely stick with Inkjets. Dye-Sub's are more designed for professional use when speed, reliability and simplicity are a necessity. For example photo-kiosks at Wall-mart, Walgreen etc. Or professional event photographers who print large volumes every week. Currently DNP are my choice in printers.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · event printers

luketrot wrote:
I have to agree with Hammy,

I'm currently printing this out... gonna frame it!

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:29 PM
luketrot
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · event printers

Don't forget to clean the heads first and check your ink levels. And to think I almost didn't post anything. Then I was like, what kind of troll would I be if I didn't contradict you on every thread I find regarding this topic..

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password