Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800E users, any problems?

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800E users, any problems?

I am a Canon user contemplating removing the AA filter. I just want to hear if anyone is having issues with the Nikon model?

This would be strictly landscape and starscape use.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:19 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800E users, any problems?

FYI, D800E still has AA filter.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800E users, any problems?

I shoot fashion and have only had two instances of moire so far (one at f/13), I have had more moire from my X100. The 36MP has a lot to do with it I think since it occurred both times in very very fine stitching/weave.

Depending on what is involved, I really wonder if the cost/resale hit is worth the removal of it especially since you are probably not going to be in aperture range where you will see much benefit.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800E users, any problems?

ben egbert wrote:
I am a Canon user contemplating removing the AA filter. I just want to hear if anyone is having issues with the Nikon model?

This would be strictly landscape and starscape use.

Do it and let me know how it works

I've read up a lot on the d800e and really don't see any complaints. I did see someone theorize that stars would suffer -- and the reason is beyond me, i forget -- but i don't know that there was any proof. In fact...I've seen lots of great star pictures with the d800e.

There was someone that removed AA filter on the canon 5d III and saw huge improvements in video sharpness.

My guess is that it would be fine. If you're really interested in shooting the stars there are some services that will remove the AA, the IR filter, and put on a filter suitable to astronomy. There are also clip on filters (over sensor) that will allow you to shoot in daylight, or IR, or whatever. I've thought of pimping out a used 5D II this way now that they're so cheap.

(but maybe you know all this)

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800E users, any problems?

That' the conversion I was thinking of, add a sensor cooling system, remove the AA and align the sensor to mount. I have a local guy who does this and has done work for NASA. Not sure I want to remove the IR, it would mean adding a special filter to all my lenses for daytime shooting and my lenses have really large filter sizes.

This is a 1DS-mk3.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800E users, any problems?

If contemplating removing the AA filter you'll probably be better off with a D800.

The D800E has a sort of "dual" AA filter, the purpose of which is to "cancel out" the effects of the primary AA, so removal may not be a simple process. Not a perfect description, but you get the drift...

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800E users, any problems?

If I could switch I would have done so already. I am lens bound.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:26 PM
TEAM KEN
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800E users, any problems?

I love mine...worth it for sure...for me at least.
Don;t miss my white lenses at all.
Just sayin'
Ken

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800E users, any problems?

ben egbert wrote:
If I could switch I would have done so already. I am lens bound.

You don't have to replace everything. Buy one D800e and one lens.

Try it for a while, if you don't like or don't see an appreciable improvement then sell. Probably be less expensive than a conversion when all is said and done.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:31 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800E users, any problems?

Nice shot TEAM KEN.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800E users, any problems?

ckcarr wrote:
You don't have to replace everything. Buy one D800e and one lens.

Try it for a while, if you don't like or don't see an appreciable improvement then sell. Probably be less expensive than a conversion when all is said and done.

I would need an adapter for my 17TSE

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:54 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800E users, any problems?

ben egbert wrote:
I would need an adapter for my 17TSE

+1 to Craig's idea...

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:53 AM
agentbird
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800E users, any problems?

I have the D800E and I've had problems with moire ONCE, and it was when shooting some product shots of technical sports wear. I tried everything in CS5 to get rid of it and nothing worked. I then tried Capture NX, which came free with the camera, it was all gone with a click of a button!

If I was shooting video, I would get the normal D800, just to be on the safe side. Other than that, D800E all the way.

Other than that I've had a couple of problems with my E.
Randomly it takes over 10 seconds to review an image, it just sits there with the green light on.
When shooting with a speedlight on the camera and in poor light, it tends to backfocus like crazy, no problems if I remove the flash. It's most visible on my 24 1.4G and 85 1.4G.

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:42 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800E users, any problems?

agentbird wrote:
Other than that I've had a couple of problems with my E.
Randomly it takes over 10 seconds to review an image, it just sits there with the green light on.

Had the same thing happen to my D800E. I took out the SD card and it's never happened since. Strange.

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800E users, any problems?

JimFox wrote:
+1 to Craig's idea...

Hey Jim, you don't have an E do you? If not, why not?

My original idea was more than just the AA, I also get most of an Astro conversion at the same time stopping short of the IR so its still a good daytime camera. Makes those long shutter shots better by reducing sensor heat. Any camera benifits from this, he does Nikons too, even did one for Nasa.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password