Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · pelican case question

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · pelican case question

Hi all.

So I got a pelican case with the foam. I cut everything to fit but now I need to glue the foam to the case so that things wont move (the regular pelican foam, nothing fancy).

I tried to source the pelican reccommended 3M superthingy 77 but it will cost me about 60 (100$) to get it to the UK. I ain't paying that for glue!

So the question to someone who knows would be, can regular UHU glue (the yellow tube) be used for that foam? My worries would be the glue eating the foam or maybe degassing in the long term, damaging the elctronics...

Thanks

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · pelican case question

I've been using pelicans for years and don't glue in the foam, it was always snug enough on its own.
But I have used some double sticky tape to keep the foam on the lid in place...

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:45 PM
orcastu

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · pelican case question

I agree with Micky. I have never seen a need to glue the foam in and it makes a mess should you want to change out the foam for a different configuration.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · pelican case question

Thanks guys... not the answer I was expecting but helpful nonetheless.

I had to cut a sizable chunk of the foam in order to make room for a couple things. If you remove the couple things then there is a foam-less big gap. The contents could move. Not saying that it will, but that it might. And I don't want it to move. I could use tape, but I want something permanent.

And no, the pelican will not be reconfigured. If at all, I want to glue it to make it more permanent.

so.. has anyone used UHU yellow glue or can recommend a different type of glue that is not 3M, due to the exorbitant cost, that is safe to use with such foams that will not degass and damage electronics?

Thanks

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:19 PM
RoyC
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · pelican case question

The 3M Super 77 is used by may fly tiers, trout fisherman. Call a couple of your larger fly shops and see if they have the product or an acceptable substitute.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · pelican case question

RoyC wrote:
The 3M Super 77 is used by may fly tiers, trout fisherman. Call a couple of your larger fly shops and see if they have the product or an acceptable substitute.

Thank you so much. I didn't know it was used in fly fishing. I just googled using that and voila, just found a super 77 replacement to buy online @uk for a reasonable price!

Thanks!

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password