Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be...

JoshuaD.FOTO
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

So I have been hired out by a good friend who is starting up a business to do interior shots of his new retail floor space. The two locations are 2,000 sq ft and 2,700 sq ft respectively and in the basic rectangle shape of a store like you would see in a strip. Think ambient coming only from the windows at the front.

That being said about ambient the only other sources of light are flouro's EVERYWHERE up top (20-25ft ceilings). The one location is all industrial looking and theyve painted the pipes and all, no drop ceiling in that location) and made it look nice.

With the flouro I dont even want to fight that white balancing nightmare so my thought is to shoot the interiors mid day for ambient purposes, cut all the flouros off, and flash her to high hell. I dont think a nice clean HDR is going to do it here. Perhaps an HDR with a layered (30-60% opacity) flash exposure on top?

My other issue is this will be the first job like this I have done. I am fairly comfortable with manipulating manual flash but I dont know what to expect here and when moving flashes around changing settings manually becomes rather time consuming to nail exposure and get it just right.

My thought was to rent a couple 580 EXII's or 600ex-rt's and use TTL. I have to admit i'm a little scared there too because i've never used TTL, only manual, so again I do not know really what to expect or how exactly to go about this gig.

This is a pretty good friend of mine and they are PAYING so I am very eager to impress here. If anyone could help me out with maybe some opinions here and maybe some basic fundamentals for accomplishing very nice interiors of a retail space like this I would greatly appreciate it.

I will be using my new to me trusty 1DSMKII and my 24mm 3.5 TS-E.

Thanks in advance,
J

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:48 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

Not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but in addition to the flash consider shooting with the house lights on and setting a manual white balance. Just make sure you have something big and white or an 18% gray card. practice setting a manual white balance ahead of time. I like your HDR idea. I assume you are using a tripod so you might want to go for a pretty wide range (5 exposure). Lots of wide angle stuff here. Good luck

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:05 PM
JoshuaD.FOTO
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

^ Thanks for the response; I am just now getting back to this thread since I didnt think anyone would reply. Thats how most of my threads go here !

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JoshuaD.FOTO
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

anyone else? im just thinking its going to be near impossible to manual white balance since I cant really gel the flash for flouro can I? Thats the only reason I was thinking turn the florescent off.

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Joe Costa

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

You should be able to easily balance the WB, even with the fluorescent lights with an expodisc shot taken from the viewpoint of your subject, same if you decide to mix in flash.

If this is a shot of a business, shouldn't it be a shot of how the business actually looks?

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on retail interiors? Please chime in it would be greatly appreciated

Its not too difficult to balance the WB, I agree, you can do it with fluorescent lights and a shot taken from your subject's perspective.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password