Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

My Son-in-law is in the rehabilitation / recovery stage of injuries received in Afghanistan. He is 100% disabled and needing to keep his mind busy. He expressed an interest in photography so we are thinking about giving him a camera and "Training material" for Christmas. Have you, or anybody you know, ever tried on-line / DVD classes? I need something good, without being too techno-stuffy. I found this man, Karl Taylor ( http://www.karltaylorphotography.co.uk/index.html ) and he sounded good. Does anybody know / heard bad / good stuff about his lessons. Thank you so much for your help. Jim

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:23 AM
rgold1963
• •
p.1 #2 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

First, a huge thank you to your son in law for his service to our country. I am truly sorry to hear about his injuries and hope he is recovering.
If he is really new to photography, this would be a good place to start:
http://www.ppsop.net/unex.aspx

Feel free to PM me for any additional information about the online school.

Ron

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:26 PM
RoyC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Take a look at Kelby Training, great resource, and only $199 per year or you could do $25 per month.

http://kelbytraining.com/

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:54 PM
aaronbor

p.1 #4 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

I think Kelby traning has some nice training classes in different areas of photography. From basic photography to studio lighting, to location lighting, to photoshop and lightroom software. Instructors include greats like Joe Mcnally.

You pay a yearly membership fee, and you can watch all the courses in their archives as much as you like. You can usually get a membership on sale for $180 per year. That is a good value.

I wish a full recovery to your son inlaw. May he be blessed for his service for our country.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.1 #5 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Please tell your son-in-law we appreciate his service very much and I hope he has a swift recovery.

I am glad that he is interested in photography, I feel that Kelby Training will be the best choice, I think there is a one day free trial. Kelby training includes many different areas of interest, so he can get a feel for what field interests him most.

Stephanie

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:21 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Stephaniespix wrote:
Please tell your son-in-law we appreciate his service very much and I hope he has a swift recovery.

I am glad that he is interested in photography, I feel that Kelby Training will be the best choice, I think there is a one day free trial. Kelby training includes many different areas of interest, so he can get a feel for what field interests him most.

Stephanie

Thanks to each and everyone of you that provided suggestions. I am familiar with Kelby and realize it to be a valuable source. Have you heard of a guy names Karl Taylor, out of England? Again Thank you, Jim

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Please pass along our thanks for his service and our wishes for a speedy recovery.

Here are a few links for some informative reading:

Camera Simulator

This is a tutorial on the 7D and tutorials are available for other models:
Canon Training(7D)

PhotoMentors

PPSOP

Strobist

Chuck Gardner

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Wobble wrote:
Please pass along our thanks for his service and our wishes for a speedy recovery.

Here are a few links for some informative reading:

Camera Simulator

This is a tutorial on the 7D and tutorials are available for other models:
Canon Training(7D)

PhotoMentors

PPSOP

Strobist

Chuck Gardner

Thank you very much

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM
alton5

p.1 #9 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Your son in law may want to check out Lynda.com. They have an extensive photography section along with a number of other subjects he might find interesting and usefull.

He might find a Winston Churchill quote instructive:
If you're going through hell, KEEP GOING.

God bless him. I wish him the best.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:50 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

alton5 wrote:
Your son in law may want to check out Lynda.com. They have an extensive photography section along with a number of other subjects he might find interesting and usefull.

He might find a Winston Churchill quote instructive:
If you're going through hell, KEEP GOING.

God bless him. I wish him the best.

Thank you... I had forgot about Lynda. Thanks for the quote... Jim

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #11 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

How's his recovery going so far...if you can share. I hope these links have provided him something to help keep his mind active and entertained thru this tough time.

I would second kelbytraining.com I know they were mentioned has he tried those out yet?

Again, please thank him for his service.

Joel

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #12 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

I highly recommend KelbyTraining.com especially if he has unlimited DSL data connection. I use a lot of there videos and some I even buy on DVD.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:18 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · On Line Classes / DVD Training??

Michael White wrote:
I highly recommend KelbyTraining.com especially if he has unlimited DSL data connection. I use a lot of there videos and some I even buy on DVD.

Thank you so much.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password