Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Jon-Mark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Anyone know of a product that lets you download from multiple CF cards at once? I seem to recall hearing about something that lets you daisy chain but can't find it. I'd love to get home from a wedding at midnight, plug in all 6 CF cards and just go to bed.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:11 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Daisy chaining CF readers

That would be sweeeeeeeeeet
I'll follow that post.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:14 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Daisy chaining CF readers

PhotoMechanic lets you do that on the software-side. There used to be some firewire readers that you could do that with (lexar?) but they don't make them anymore.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:16 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Multiple readers and USB slots. I have a few readers, but have used two at a time on several occasions.

Otherwise, you'd have to go FW for daisy chain.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Lexar used to make card readers you can daisy chain. Otherwise Photomechanic can download multiple cards are once. I've got 3 card readers hooked up to my computer & download images off 3 cards at once.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:20 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Daisy chaining CF readers

The Lexar FW800 reader was daisy-chainable. Delkin makes one big on that has 4 slots. They are both no longer in production.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550540-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDREADER_40_US_ImageRouter_Card_Reader_Writer.html

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:24 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Now, what good was that? You just got my hopes up that one was on the market again. lol

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:03 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Lexar FW800 readers... you can still find them, but you're gonna pay big bucks.

I have 4 (3 of which I got after they stopped selling them)... and I believe that was the max you could chain.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:01 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Daisy chaining CF readers

RichardLavigne wrote:
Lexar FW800 readers... you can still find them, but you're gonna pay big bucks.

I have 4 (3 of which I got after they stopped selling them)... and I believe that was the max you could chain.

bought one last week on ebay for $160. ouch.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Dag yo, how hard is this? The companies should know that these are in demand. Doesn't even have to daisy chain, if there were a reader with like 8 slots that would be perfect

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Could this be achieved by getting one of those portable card backup devices and just downloading your cards onto that as you go throughout the day, then downloading everything from that one device at the end of the day?

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:41 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Jon-Mark wrote:
Dag yo, how hard is this? The companies should know that these are in demand. Doesn't even have to daisy chain, if there were a reader with like 8 slots that would be perfect

In most cases, it's about licensing. These manufacturers have to license the use of CompactFlash. It's more about cost factor vs profitability to the manufacturer. CF licensing is also governed by size as well. (I have an inside on this.)

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:44 AM
smjphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Daisy chaining CF readers

There are FireWire readers available. See this article about them by Rob Galbrieth
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11673-12298

They can be ordered from here for $46:
http://www.memorydepot.com/91694.htm

You would still need multiple FireWire slots ( if you're not using a tower w multiple FW then you would have to also get a FW800 hub.). I think Lightroom will do multiple uploads at the same time or you can use software to facilitate this.

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 01:43 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Daisy chaining CF readers

I have 2 daisy-chained Lexars. Make me an offer

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Daisy chaining CF readers

I have 10 USB3 ports and 3 8 port USB3 hubs. I have 8 USB3 CF card readers plugged in. I used to have the Delkin USB 4 port reader and that came with software to download multiple cards at once. It's been discontinued, but I still use the software.

Photomechanic can read multiple cards, but the last time I used it, it corrupted some of the images on import.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:15 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Inku Yo wrote:
Photomechanic can read multiple cards, but the last time I used it, it corrupted some of the images on import.

for this reason alone, I never use software to ingest photos... simply copy and paste.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:45 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Daisy chaining CF readers

RichardLavigne wrote:
for this reason alone, I never use software to ingest photos... simply copy and paste.

And that is not software how? :P

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Jonathan Smith

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Daisy chaining CF readers

I use a Delkin ImageRouter

http://www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/product-reviews/Computer-Systems/Delkin/p/ICDIMR-Delkin-ImageRouter-Photo-Transfer-Unit-for-Four-Compact-Flash-Memory-Cards-USB-2-0-Interface.html

I picked one up on ebay for $10 shipped, the 2nd cost me about $30. I have a mac so I use Imageingester Pro. Its a little cumbersome, but If you ignore half the features and just ingest it works great.

http://basepath.com/site/

For any given wedding I shoot about 2000 images, Raw and it takes about 30-40 minutes to upload on USB 2.0

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:12 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Daisy chaining CF readers

We shoot the fastest cards we can find and use a usb3 card readers. Since we have dual slots on our cameras we are shooting 32gb cards. so any given wedding we have 2-4 cards to import. 2 if I shoot alone or 4 if I bring a second shooter. Takes maybe 30 minutes to import.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Daisy chaining CF readers

Jonathan Smith wrote:
I use a Delkin ImageRouter

http://www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/product-reviews/Computer-Systems/Delkin/p/ICDIMR-Delkin-ImageRouter-Photo-Transfer-Unit-for-Four-Compact-Flash-Memory-Cards-USB-2-0-Interface.html

I picked one up on ebay for $10 shipped, the 2nd cost me about $30. I have a mac so I use Imageingester Pro. Its a little cumbersome, but If you ignore half the features and just ingest it works great.

http://basepath.com/site/

For any given wedding I shoot about 2000 images, Raw and it takes about 30-40 minutes to upload on USB 2.0

Yeah, I have one of those. It's too slow for me. I wish they kept making it with USB3.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password