Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

MarcG19
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

So, Olympus currently has three different models of m4/3 camera in this generation: the EM-5. EPL-5, and EPM-2. Looking at the manuals, the main difference seems to be a matter of the number and nature of external camera controls, the specs of touch-screen and in the case of the EM-5 a built in external VF (and of course size/weight). The Olympus spec comparison suggests they are equal except for shutter speed (EM-5 goes to 60s, others to 2s)

Firmware looks to be almost identical.

Is this correct? I'm actually thinking of dumping my EM-5 for a EPM-2 because I don't actually use the EVF that much, and the size/money savings would be welcome. I'm fond of the EM-5's capabilities, not so fond of its size and (especially) its price.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Also keep in mind that the OM-D has a much better stabilization system (5 axis).

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Yeah, the stabilization on the Pens is good for at most two stops, and I find it is really only about one stop better than the standard 'rule of thumb' since you lose a stop due to holding a tiny camera out away from your body vs. a viewfinder against your head. Thus, handholdability is about 1/FL, as opposed to 1/(2xfl) as normal on m4/3.

I don't think the Pens also have similar burst rates as the E-M5, but I could be wrong (the E-M5 does 9 fps). I think you'd be happier going to an E-PL5, though, as I think you'd miss the controls going from an E-M5 all the way to an E-PM2.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:24 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Tilt screen
Weather sealing

Two features I use tremendously.

Also, going back to a point and shoot style rear tiny ass control wheel is extremely frustrating.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

The E-PL models have tilt screens. Not sure about the E-PMs.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

misanthropic a
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

OM-D is also magnesium vs plastic.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:56 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Jman13 wrote:
Yeah, the stabilization on the Pens is good for at most two stops, and I find it is really only about one stop better than the standard 'rule of thumb' since you lose a stop due to holding a tiny camera out away from your body vs. a viewfinder against your head. Thus, handholdability is about 1/FL, as opposed to 1/(2xfl) as normal on m4/3.

I don't think the Pens also have similar burst rates as the E-M5, but I could be wrong (the E-M5 does 9 fps). I think you'd be happier going to an E-PL5, though, as I
...Show more

If I remember correctly, in the last generation E-P3 and E-PL3 IBIS was rated for 3 stops and E-PM1 had a downgraded 2-stop IBIS. The E-PM5 of course got a new 5-axis IBIS, but I don't know how the IBIS of E-PL5 and E-PM2 compare now.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:36 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Ah right, things I'd forgotten. Build, IS effectiveness, etc. I guess with that, I'll keep the EPM-5, since I use the EVF+IS maybe once every 20 shots or so.

Thanks for the responses!

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:06 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Difference Between Current Olympus mirrorless models

Ah right, things I'd forgotten. Build, IS effectiveness, etc. I guess with that, I'll keep the EPM-5, since I use the EVF+IS maybe once every 20 shots or so.

Thanks for the responses!

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password