Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

Nuriko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

The price is less than the Arca Swiss and RRS brands, but seems like a decent ballhead based on specs. Has anyone use this and recommend it, any pros or cons? Thank you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

it would be serviceable for some but it is not anywhere near the quality of either of the above mentioned makers. I recently looked at it and others while in B&H as a less pricey option for a friend. I just couldn't do it to her. it simply is not in the same class of tool.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Nuriko

p.1 #3 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

Thanks, I figured with my setup, I don't have to go all out to get the best (Arca Swiss/RRS/etc) and was hoping that the BBH-200 will suffice. My heaviest setup is a Canon 50D and largest lens is the 70-200 IS II, with 430 EX II on a Gitzo G1325. I only take pictures of family and friends, so no further changes in lens, with the only possibility of going full frame down the road.

I just bought the RRS L Bracket from a fellow FM member for the 50D and was wondering which is a better/recommended approach: using the L Bracket with 50D or getting a plate for the 70-200 IS II lens on the tripod. Since I bought the L bracket, it would be kind of a waste if I get a plate for the lens but I think it will have a better balance and support. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am still a newbie and trying to improve my picture taking skills.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

The plate on the lens is the mechanically better option. Substantially less load on the lens mount when using that particular lens

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

Yikes! On a marginal head the last thing you want is a high off-center load, not to mention the force on the lens mount from such a lens.

EBH

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:14 AM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #6 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

I use Vanguard heads and have no issues. Handles my 400 more than adequately when I forgot my gimbal. For what the OP is going to be using for, I'd get it - it will handle that combo with ease.

Dec 13, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Nuriko

p.1 #7 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

Thank you all. After a month of research, judging by the specs I decided to buy the Arca Swiss Z1 with Wimberley clamp as I kept on reading buy once, cry once. So I ordered from B&H and while I was there to pick it up, I took a look at the BBH-200 (they don't showcase the Arca Swiss so I didn't know how it felt until I got on the train and started to unpackage it).

One of the selling features that I liked about the BBH-200 was the rapid leveling system, but once I handled it in the store I completely changed my mind. I couldn't get it to lock and the slide button felt loose and cheap. But what surprise me was how small the ball was compared to the pictures I've seen online, well that applies to just about every ballhead I saw in the store.

So when I opened up the Z1, I was surprised that the ball was much bigger! I fiddled with it and try to set the tensions, definitely not easy for a novice like me. The box was not in a stellar condition and had rips and some stickers attached to it that, looks like someone bought it and returned it. I got home and played with it some more and realized that the tripod thread was not clean and there are some marks on the base near the rotation. Some of the threads look like it had cuts in them. Nonetheless, I put it on my tripod to see how it would work. Looked fine and when I took it off, I realized that there are some black ink/grease on the tripod screw.

I decided to return it and got the P0 with the Sunway Discal Clamp 64mm instead. This time, I decided to inspect it at the store and the first thing I notice was the box had a similar sticker like the one that was attached to Z1 box. I opened it up and the ring had dents in them. I quickly as for an exchange on the spot. The time, the box was pristine without stickers hanging onto it. I opened it up and it was in perfect condition, tripod thread was perfect and no dents on the turning ring. The ring was a bit loose and can shift vertically a little but I think I read that this was normal.

The P0 was MUCH easier for me to use and was very intuitive that I don't even need to read the instructions (well I tried to read it but there was no instructions and the warranty card was for another Arca Swiss product). I love the fact that I didn't have to set the tension and it saved me about $180. Given my set up and the limited times I'll be using it to mainly take pictures of my kids inside of house and the backyard, I figured it should be good enough. The Z1 is definitely nicer but I don't want to fiddle with the controls and honestly as much as I want to get the best gear, I would not be able to use it to its full potential.

I tried to take out the center screw on the P0 with no luck, then I realized that I could just slap the Sunway clamp onto it, damn I felt stupid! But it was a perfect match! I should have went to B&H first to check out the available ballheads, would of saved me a lot of time and stress then reading reviews. Nothing beats first hand experience when it comes to ballheads, although I usually buy things without physically testing them first.

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Does anyone recommend the Vanguard BBH-200 ballhead?

enjoy

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password