Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

I've seen some images that show some significant flare and/or ghosting with this lens, especially on the OMD.
Anyone have any experience in this regard, especially with an OMD or a GH-2?

I like putting the sun in the frame when I'm outside with my cameras, so bad flare/ghosting is definitely a concern of mine.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks - John

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

It can be bad in certain circumstances, and it will flare somewhat easily. A lot depends on the angle and focal length. Sometimes it's bad, other times it's fine. I did not notice a difference based solely on the body as to how it performed in that regard. It's really the lens' one major weakness. (the only other real negative is that it's not as good in the corners at infinity as it is closer up).

For instance, this image shows it pretty much at its worst (this is on the GX1):

http://admiringlight.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sunset_bridge.jpg

Here it's not too bad (this is on the OM-D). You can still see some flares in the concrete on the right half of the image, but it's not really distracting like it is in the first example.
http://admiringlight.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sunset_chains.jpg

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

jhinkey wrote:
I've seen some images that show some significant flare and/or ghosting with this lens, especially on the OMD.

Why would the camera body have any impact on this?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:03 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

I used it on the GH3 a bit and noticed some issues with purple flare, similar to what people are getting with the iPhone 5. Not a real concern day-to-day, but every once in a while it'll bite you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

Yakim Peled wrote:
Why would the camera body have any impact on this?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Because different sensors have different anti-reflective coatings on them and therefor reflections between the lens elements and the sensor surface can vary from sensor to sensor design. There have been examples of bad ghosting with the 7-4/4 Panasonic on the OM-D that does not seem to be nearly as bad or not there at all when used on a Panasonic body.

John

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

The 12-35 doesn't appear to do the same thing the 7-14 does on the OM-D. That isn't really flare, though...it's an odd purple discoloration that sometimes appears. I've noticed it on the 7-14, but it happens little enough to not generally be an issue.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 12-35/2.8 Flare & Ghosting?

jhinkey wrote:
Because different sensors have different anti-reflective coatings on them and therefor reflections between the lens elements and the sensor surface can vary from sensor to sensor design. There have been examples of bad ghosting with the 7-4/4 Panasonic on the OM-D that does not seem to be nearly as bad or not there at all when used on a Panasonic body.

John

Good to know. I always thought it was a minor issue.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:29 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password