Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

smainuddin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

Hi

I am about to buy a thecus n5550. Do any of you care to share your experience with this NAS? I will just archive the photos and also use it as a download center.

TIA
Sadat

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:26 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

Thecus units are generally well regarded. Also take a look at the QNAP which often score a bit higher on performance.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

I have a QNAP NAS and would not recommend it. Hardware is great but support and their firmware/security is an issue. Just check their forum and you'll see what I mean. I will be switching to Synology soon. Here's a great place to start if you are evaluating NAS's:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

Here is another vote for Synology.

I have two different Synology NAS systems and they work great. I have over 30 years experience in the high tech field, so know a thing or two about NAS and other storage mechanisms. After doing my research, I selected Synology and have been very pleased. Reliable, easy to manage, easy to maintain, etc. I have had to replace a failed disk in a RAID, and it was pretty painless. I have also had to expand a RAID by replacing existing disks with larger ones. Again, pretty painless.

I have been using Synology NAS systems for 2 or 3 years and never had a need to test their customer service.

There are other good solutions, but for my money, I have been really happy with Synology.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:32 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

I am very happy with Synology 1812+, actually thinking of a second or the bigger 12 bay unit, its fast 110+mb/s over gigabits network.

they also hae a very active forum, with great support from fellow users

i have 8x Western Digital 3TB RED drives in it.

Henrik

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JustinR
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

Been using an HP Mediasmart Windows Home Server box for NAS use (and other things). Had a bit of a scare with it and did the legwork to figure out what it's successor will be and decided on Synology. No other company seems to be as consistently well-regarded by its customers. Luckily I managed to rescue the WHS box (just a system drive, recoverd automatically without loosing any data)

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:33 PM
roonsmits

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

Hi,

I've been using my Thecus 7700Pro now for approx. two years without a glitch.
I'm not using any internal storage at all, since the network speed for reading/writing (large) files (via AFP = apple share) exceeds the 100MB every time. I've got it configured with 7x2TB discs (WD RE4): 3 discs in RAID5 for generic storage and a 4 disc RAID10 set for my vSphere storage.

I can highly recommended Thecus storage, but like others posters say other brands like QNap or Synology can also perform quite wel.

cheers,
Ron

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

I have two of the older Thecus 5 bay RAID boxes. When I needed more capacity I bough the 8 Bay Synology (they have a bay). At the time it was about $1000 unpopulated. The Synology is a much better system in several ways.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Share your experience with Thecus NAS

I'm using N-RAID (I guess the company name is Yano)
http://www.yano-sl.co.jp/products/n-raid5500k/index.html

Unless they're only distributing I think that's the same company making the Thecus systems.
http://www.yano-sl.co.jp/store/nas.html
http://www.yano-sl.co.jp/index.html

The service is awesome! Need anything and it's there the next day at your doorstep. Have a Question and talk to a human immediately who knows WTH they're talking about. etc.. I needed a key for the drive bays and they sent me two for each drive. Manual, boom! there!

I got mine when someone was cleaning out their office and had no use for it any longer. - so a freebee. I guess it's worth a lot by looking at that spec-sheet catalogue there.

It's super easy to setup and use, that's for sure.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password