Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Nikon 14-24

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Nikon 14-24

clouseau wrote:
In that range no the 14/24 is not better then SOME of the primes , but its is the best zoom outhere . The 14/24 is imo the best lens nikon ever made .
I doubt they make any money of that one had it been named Zeiss or leica , yeah well you get the pic .
Its big and cumbersome , it does not take filters very well .
But the 14 mm and the 24 are at least as expensive not very flexible and not lot better.
I would take the 14/24 every day of the week , allthough i
...Show more

As much as I want this, lens and the Zeiss 21, I think I will rent both for Yellowstone. This way the image can tell me which suits my style best. Thanks, Jim

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Nikon 14-24

Grantland wrote:
i have been to yellowstone/tetons on many occasions and have used the zeiss 21, canon 16-35 II & nikon 14-24 f/2.8. if i could bring only one wide with me i would take the nikon 14-24 no questions asked. it is an excellent lens. 14mm is nice to have when you want/need to go wide and it is sharp. there is a pretty big difference from 14mm to 21mm. for pure quality the zeiss wins but not by much.

I wish I had the money for both.. Until then I will rent both, buy one. Thanks, Jim

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:56 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Nikon 14-24

cohenfive wrote:
this is a fantastic lens with no weaknesses. my only problem is that i just don't use it enough!

I do not see it laying around with me. I will be shooting 365 straight days, God willing.. Thanks

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:58 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Nikon 14-24

Frank_Maiello wrote:
Yes, the edges/corners are sharp, but I occasionally run into problems with field curvature that can result in soft corners. More commonly, if I see blurry corners itís because the angle of view is so great that the lens captures areas well beyond the DOF. Avoiding that is just a matter of stopping-down, recomposing, or both.

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:59 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Nikon 14-24

MikeW wrote:
I am loving the zeiss 21mm. Primes help make better images I find since you think more on composition rather than just zoom in & out.

Using filters even with the Lee kit on the 14-24 is a hassle & the filters are huge.

I did love using the 14-24 but I was so scared of scratching that front element.

This is the primary reason I am going MF. I want to enjoy photography the way I did in the 60's. One image at a time, no hurry, hassle, or pressure to get it right. Before you ask, I put the pressure on myself. Having busted my butty to get to the point I could have good glass, I felt the need to excel. Now, it is have fun. Thanks, Jim

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:05 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #6 · Nikon 14-24

I'm a wide angle nut Jim. I have all of the lenses mentioned including the two Canon TSE II's because I shoot both systems. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would be the Zeiss 21. Don't laugh but I actually have one for each system. The 14-24 would also serve you well but there are tradeoffs as already mentioned. It would be hard to tell the difference between the 2. There is focus shift on the zoom but it is usually covered by the great depth of field. Hope this helps. Consider the Zeiss 35 as well for a standard.

Gene

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Nikon 14-24

geniousc wrote:
I'm a wide angle nut Jim. I have all of the lenses mentioned including the two Canon TSE II's because I shoot both systems. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would be the Zeiss 21. Don't laugh but I actually have one for each system. The 14-24 would also serve you well but there are tradeoffs as already mentioned. It would be hard to tell the difference between the 2. There is focus shift on the zoom but it is usually covered by the great depth of field. Hope this helps. Consider the Zeiss 35 as
...Show more

Thank you Gene. I currently own the Zeiss 35 & 50 which are exceptional. I honestly believe I will buy the Zeiss and rent the 14-24 to play with.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:27 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #8 · Nikon 14-24

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you Gene. I currently own the Zeiss 35 & 50 which are exceptional. I honestly believe I will buy the Zeiss and rent the 14-24 to play with.

That is a good plan. The 14-24 as old as it is in todays world is still a game changer. Amazingly good.

Gene

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM
georgeninapho

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Nikon 14-24

Hi guys,
I have recently bought a 14-24 from Calumet/London but I had to return it as it was back focusing a lot, lens was literally unusable. Even the guys from the shop were convinced the lens was not sharp at all.
Same day I ordered another one from Amazon and guess what...same issue. However, this copy seems better, the issue is visible more when shooting in 14mm, but still, I will have no choice than to return this one as well.
Even with AF fine tuned all way to -20 lens is still not sharp.
I have tried both lenses on my D3s and D600 and results were the same.
I own other Nikon lenses 24-70, 70-200 and I have quite few weddings under my belt so I would say I know what to expect from this lens. None of my other lenses required any AF fine tune adjustments whatsoever.
I wouldn't feel comfortable sending all my kit to Nikon for calibration just for this lens...I lived so far without it so it won't be a real problem not having it in my bag...
Am I so unlucky?

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:36 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.2 #10 · Nikon 14-24

Sometimes no matter how hard you try it's impossible to find a good copy the first time. I usually buy three lenses from B&H and always send back two that are slightly and sometimes greatly inferior to the one I keep. You might need to have your camera checked also. My copy of the 14-24 is superb so keep on trying, it's well worth it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:31 AM
gubaguba

p.2 #11 · Nikon 14-24

Well the 14-24 has a great reputation for good reason. I sold mine I just didn't shoot that wide very often. If you want to use filters that becomes problematic. You can its just not so easily done. Its kinda a beast. Its heavy and big. There were some comparisons with most other lenses in its range. The zeiss may have been ever so slightly better but really splitting hairs. This is the lens that created a business of Nikon G to Canon lens convertors so that could be some indication how good it is.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password