Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · Nikon 14-24
  
 
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon 14-24


Quick question: Is the 14-24 edge sharpness good at all focal lengths (ie:14,16,20,24)? Thank you, Jim


Dec 04, 2012 at 04:25 AM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon 14-24


oldrattler wrote:
Quick question: Is the 14-24 edge sharpness good at all focal lengths (ie:14,16,20,24)? Thank you, Jim


This is a stellar lens. Its edge sharpness is excellent at 14mm and tapers off to good at 24mm. Check out its resolution results in Photo Zone. Very impressive for a wide, let alone a wide zoom.



Dec 04, 2012 at 04:42 AM
SoundHound
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Nikon 14-24


It's big, heavy but a superb optic that bests other maker's primes. Yes expensive and unwieldy to use filters but really "Grads" are the best application of filters since polarizers are not uniform on ultra wides. It is somewhat of a miracle lens and a fast, more than usable, F2.8 too.

Somewhere close to 24mm you have other, faster, options but I consider the narrow end as a utility bonus. For a "better/different" lens consider the Canon 17mm TSE (and a 5d II to mount it). Don't buy the 24mm TSE until you try out the 17mm woth a 1.4X TC (or an APS C body) to see if you like the FL-the 17mm is so good.



Dec 04, 2012 at 05:00 AM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Nikon 14-24


James R wrote:
This is a stellar lens. Its edge sharpness is excellent at 14mm and tapers off to good at 24mm. Check out its resolution results in Photo Zone. Very impressive for a wide, let alone a wide zoom.


Thanks, Jim. I have been torn between this an the Zeiss 21 for a long time. Now, I am one month from my one year RV excursion around America and I need to decide. Again, thank you.



Dec 04, 2012 at 12:19 PM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Nikon 14-24


SoundHound wrote:
It's big, heavy but a superb optic that bests other maker's primes. Yes expensive and unwieldy to use filters but really "Grads" are the best application of filters since polarizers are not uniform on ultra wides. It is somewhat of a miracle lens and a fast, more than usable, F2.8 too.

Somewhere close to 24mm you have other, faster, options but I consider the narrow end as a utility bonus. For a "better/different" lens consider the Canon 17mm TSE (and a 5d II to mount it). Don't buy the 24mm TSE until you try out the 17mm woth a 1.4X TC
...Show more

You present an excellent option. I have acquired the 5DIII and am looking to get the best lens for landscape out there. There is a lot of favoritism shown the 17 TS-e. Thank you



Dec 04, 2012 at 12:23 PM
sandycrane
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Nikon 14-24


I have the 14-24 and it is a fantastic lens but if all I needed was a 21mm lens I'd get the Zeiss because from what I've seen I prefer its colors and contrast. . I want the range so I'm keeping the Nikon.


Dec 04, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Dwight3
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Nikon 14-24


If I were buying gear for a specific job that took a 21mm lens, that's what I'd get. But I have no idea what focal lengths I'll need in the future, and I expect to use my gear in the future, so I'm a big fan of zoom lenses. They give me the flexibility I will need.

I like my 14-24, but I must admit it's bulky and hard to fit in my bag. For landscapes I generally use the 24-70 which is on my camera much more frequently. If it's not wide enough I stitch. The 14-24 excels at dynamic subjects where stitching isn't possible.

So what photos are you going to take on your RV trip?



Dec 04, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Alan321
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Nikon 14-24


There isn't a single best landscape lens because what is best for one situation will likely not be the best for another. If you can't get particularly close then a very wide angle lens may diminish the impact compared with a standard or tele lens, but up very close a tele lens can't show the whole scene.


The Nikon 14-24 has a focus shift issue that will bother you less if you focus manually and stop down to do it. Whether the edge sharpness is good depends on how flat the subject is and how much focus shift you experience (which varies with aperture with f/4 and f/5.6 probably being the worst). Shoot wide open and the problem does not exist and shoot at f/11 or smaller for DOF and the DOF masks the problem. So does diffraction if you stop down far enough.

Here's one test result:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/447-nikkor_afs_1424_28_ff?start=1

Here's a more interesting one (if you can figure out how to drive the graphical interface):
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1122/cat/13


I've never used a Zeiss 21 but if it has the same sort of focus characteristic as the 2/100 Macro then it will make a significant impact to your images - but it would not be so good if you're trying to maximise DOF. [For those who don't know, the Zeiss 2/100 has a relatively transition from razor sharp in-focus areas to buttery smooth out-of-focus areas. DOF is reduced but there's a better visual separation between in-focus and out-of-focus areas. Looks great, and quite unlike any Canon or Nikon lens I have ever used.]

You might want to consider lens flare as well as resolution.

- Alan



Dec 04, 2012 at 02:59 PM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Nikon 14-24


sandycrane wrote:
I have the 14-24 and it is a fantastic lens but if all I needed was a 21mm lens I'd get the Zeiss because from what I've seen I prefer its colors and contrast. . I want the range so I'm keeping the Nikon.



I am primarily a landscape photographer but have been spending a bunch of time in the studio lately.
I know the Zeiss would serve me well, but I keep thinking I might want wider for western vistas. Thank you, Jim



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Stokesey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Nikon 14-24


Upgraded from Sigma 12-24 to Nikon 14-24

I think the reasons are obvious. Though at 12mm the Sigma gave fabulous skyscapes.

But the 14-24 Nikon is so much sharper and though heavy gives the best colour rendition for a wide zoom.

The prime lens at 21 would be great but I too feel that it limits the choice of optical lengths for those vast landscapes.

My landscapes, skyscapes and seascapes have certainly benefited from the Nikon glass.

Still a personal choice whichever way you go.

Steve



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:08 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Nikon 14-24


Dwight3 wrote:
If I were buying gear for a specific job that took a 21mm lens, that's what I'd get. But I have no idea what focal lengths I'll need in the future, and I expect to use my gear in the future, so I'm a big fan of zoom lenses. They give me the flexibility I will need.

I like my 14-24, but I must admit it's bulky and hard to fit in my bag. For landscapes I generally use the 24-70 which is on my camera much more frequently. If it's not wide enough I stitch. The 14-24 excels at dynamic
...Show more

The bulk does not worry me as Our entire purpose on this trip is to see the USA through a camera lens. I could stitch the Zeiss 21 but continue to hear how amazing the 14-24 is. Either way, It is manual focus as I use Canon gear. I will first be traveling to Yellowstone to photograph landscape and animals. There will also be night photography, candid street shots. and anything else that catches our attention. After Yellowstone it is Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington. We will plan our next stage from there. Maybe Alaska, Canada, or ??. Thank you, Jim



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:10 PM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Nikon 14-24


Alan321 wrote:
There isn't a single best landscape lens because what is best for one situation will likely not be the best for another. If you can't get particularly close then a very wide angle lens may diminish the impact compared with a standard or tele lens, but up very close a tele lens can't show the whole scene.

The Nikon 14-24 has a focus shift issue that will bother you less if you focus manually and stop down to do it. Whether the edge sharpness is good depends on how flat the subject is and how much focus shift you experience (which
...Show more

Alan; I can not thank you enough. With the information I am getting it is probable I will go Zeiss and wait to get the Zeiss 15mm later. Thank you, Jim



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:17 PM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Nikon 14-24


Stokesey wrote:
Upgraded from Sigma 12-24 to Nikon 14-24

I think the reasons are obvious. Though at 12mm the Sigma gave fabulous skyscapes.

But the 14-24 Nikon is so much sharper and though heavy gives the best colour rendition for a wide zoom.

The prime lens at 21 would be great but I too feel that it limits the choice of optical lengths for those vast landscapes.

My landscapes, skyscapes and seascapes have certainly benefited from the Nikon glass.

Still a personal choice whichever way you go.

Steve


Thank you Steve. I never used the Sigma, but had the Tokina 11-16 and it was stellar. If the Nikon is sharper and renders color better I am confident I would be happy. Jim



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM
bpark42
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Nikon 14-24


For what it's worth, I went out west (Grand Canyon; Page, AZ; Zion; Bryce) earlier this year with the Canon 24 TSE II as my widest lens. There were very few occasions where I missed having anything wider. I did end up doing maybe two stitches from shifted shots, but that was it.

When I switched to the D800 I debated between the 24PCE, the Zeiss 21, and the 14-24. The size, focus shift, and filter challenges put me off on the 14-24. I ultimately went with the Zeiss and while I do miss the Canon TSE, I have been very happy with the Zeiss so far.



Dec 04, 2012 at 06:29 PM
oldrattler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Nikon 14-24


bpark42 wrote:
For what it's worth, I went out west (Grand Canyon; Page, AZ; Zion; Bryce) earlier this year with the Canon 24 TSE II as my widest lens. There were very few occasions where I missed having anything wider. I did end up doing maybe two stitches from shifted shots, but that was it.

When I switched to the D800 I debated between the 24PCE, the Zeiss 21, and the 14-24. The size, focus shift, and filter challenges put me off on the 14-24. I ultimately went with the Zeiss and while I do miss the Canon TSE, I have been very
...Show more

Thank you. This is very helpful. Jim



Dec 04, 2012 at 10:49 PM
clouseau
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Nikon 14-24


In that range no the 14/24 is not better then SOME of the primes , but its is the best zoom outhere . The 14/24 is imo the best lens nikon ever made .
I doubt they make any money of that one had it been named Zeiss or leica , yeah well you get the pic .
Its big and cumbersome , it does not take filters very well .
But the 14 mm and the 24 are at least as expensive not very flexible and not lot better.
I would take the 14/24 every day of the week , allthough i love primes this is just to good to ignore



Dec 04, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Grantland
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Nikon 14-24


i have been to yellowstone/tetons on many occasions and have used the zeiss 21, canon 16-35 II & nikon 14-24 f/2.8. if i could bring only one wide with me i would take the nikon 14-24 no questions asked. it is an excellent lens. 14mm is nice to have when you want/need to go wide and it is sharp. there is a pretty big difference from 14mm to 21mm. for pure quality the zeiss wins but not by much.




Dec 04, 2012 at 11:49 PM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Nikon 14-24


this is a fantastic lens with no weaknesses. my only problem is that i just don't use it enough!


Dec 05, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Frank_Maiello
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Nikon 14-24


oldrattler wrote:
Quick question: Is the 14-24 edge sharpness good at all focal lengths (ie:14,16,20,24)? Thank you, Jim


Yes, the edges/corners are sharp, but I occasionally run into problems with field curvature that can result in soft corners. More commonly, if I see blurry corners itís because the angle of view is so great that the lens captures areas well beyond the DOF. Avoiding that is just a matter of stopping-down, recomposing, or both.



Dec 05, 2012 at 03:22 PM
MikeW
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Nikon 14-24


I am loving the zeiss 21mm. Primes help make better images I find since you think more on composition rather than just zoom in & out.

Using filters even with the Lee kit on the 14-24 is a hassle & the filters are huge.

I did love using the 14-24 but I was so scared of scratching that front element.



Dec 05, 2012 at 03:52 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password