Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · RRS MTX Tool

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · RRS MTX Tool

leave it to the little pixies at RRS to come up with the perfect stocking stuffer for the tripod owner (especially theirs). it is a multibit screwdriver tool named the MTX. it is designed to essentially field strip their tripods down to their base components in addition to some other brands too. yes, like the rest of their gear it is made in the US. it contains 22 bits of varying types to fit every attachment bolt used. in addition there's even a right angle Allan wrench. the most used bits are stored in the grip and there is a second encapsulated bit module for the lesser used ones. well made it is.

but wait! that's not all. if you own a TVC 3 or 2 series with a centerpost (no unfortunately not the TQC14) you can unscrew your hook and screw bit driver onto it and slide it up inside snug as a bug.

but wait as an added extra bonus you can thread it on a 3/8 base mini tripod and it becomes a centerpost/extension for any number of applications. pretty fun and useful tool for $50+ shipping

I like it.

oh yeah I forgot, technically it meets the standards from the TSA for tools and size as a carry on. that's not to say someone there won't make up their own rules when they see it.
ref: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items under tools

© sjms 2012

X10    12mm    f/3.6    1/50s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

© sjms 2012

X10    9mm    f/3.6    1/25s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:40 AM
S Dilworth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · RRS MTX Tool

Nice! Just 95 g with one bit-holder. Iíd love one of these. Unfortunately the cheapest shipping to France offered on the RRS site costs $32.33 (for delivery in 2Ė6 weeks), bringing the cost to over $80. And thatís if customs donít slap more fees on it. I wish RRS would try to sort out international distribution. Several times Iíve wanted an RRS product but had to opt for a second choice because the RRS product just wasnít available in France (or the UK when I lived there). In this case, though, there is no second choice.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:57 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · RRS MTX Tool

Is there a torx bit that will fit a Gitzo tripod in the kit?

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · RRS MTX Tool

yes 3 sizes T15 T20 T25. has to be for the G because there are no Torx on the RRS

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:23 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · RRS MTX Tool

Thanks. I know that my 3-series takes a T25 and the 5-series takes a T30.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · RRS MTX Tool

That makes gitzo sense. Why bother to have the same size tooling for both

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #7 · RRS MTX Tool

I looked at that and loved it just not the price for an emergency tool. It got me looking around and I found this at newegg. It has 65 reviews and 4 out of 5 stars. The huge point is only 7bucks and free shipping. I had a wheel come off a think tank roller when I was at the rose bowl last year. I was lucky I found all the parts but it was a tiny sae hex and I did not have something that small. This would be a perfect tool for the field and the once in a while emergency need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261024

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · RRS MTX Tool

I actually have a few kits for work like what you show though the it's are made a lot better. It doesn't bother me about this one. it is a very high quality stocking stuffer with lots of thought into its overall design. There's always something cheaper and cheaper made it generally is. I have worked with tools in my work for 25+ years. you learn the difference very quickly in my line.

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:37 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · RRS MTX Tool

sjms wrote:
That makes gitzo sense. Why bother to have the same size tooling for both

Because it wouldn't make sense, Gitzo or otherwise.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · RRS MTX Tool

funny, RRS keeps it simple

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgstuff

p.1 #11 · RRS MTX Tool

I'm Carla, from Really Right Stuff. Wanted to chime in here and let our international customers know that we can always work with you and come up with a cheaper shipping method for really small orders. Basically, if the product can fit into a box about the size of a VHS cassette (and our MTX Multi-Tool certainly can), then we can ship using a US Postal Service Small Flat Rate Box. This special box size costs about $16 to ship. For even smaller orders like screws or other small hardware items, we're even willing to ship via US Postal Service 1st Class International. This usually only costs a few dollars. But we don't offer either of these shipping methods on our website because only certain items can ship in this way.

If you'd like to order and use one of these alternate shipping methods, make sure you include a note with your online order (there's a box for notes/comments when you order online). Just ask for a cheaper shipping method to be applied to your order. When we invoice your order, we'll only charge you for the cheaper shipping cost. Remember you can always email us info@reallyrightstuff.com to ask questions about an order or to get assistance with a special request. We also try to maintain valuable shipping information for all of our international customers on this page: http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=9 (or just click on the link for International Shipping at the bottom of every page).

Hope that helps,
Carla, Really Right Stuff

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:06 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #12 · RRS MTX Tool

sjms wrote:
funny, RRS keeps it simple

I'm all for keeping it simple and I agree that Gitzo is all over the shop when it comes to components and naming conventions, but in this case a bigger bolt is necessary. The leg joint on a 5-series is way bigger than on a 3-series.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · RRS MTX Tool

the bolt you are referring to is bigger true but it is a Gitzo specific design so they can control pretty much every aspect of its build. that being said they control the size of the wrench fitment to use. there is not a phenomenal amount of torque involved there (even a T25 wrench can deliver much more then needed) as it is a tension adjustable item (leg movement tension). but then again it just doesn't look as impressive.

but in the end the MTX just isn't the tool for that particular job and for me the 5 series turns out to be extra weight with little benefit overall vs what I use already use so its not good for any of my jobs at this point. I guess if I operated a Sigma green monster (35lbs lens alone) I might think about it a little but the TVC33 I have would handle it w/o all the extra weight and bulk. now with my old Ikagami HL79 and a halfball w/fluid head yes it would be a good option.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:49 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #14 · RRS MTX Tool

sjms wrote:
the bolt you are referring to is bigger true but it is a Gitzo specific design so they can control pretty much every aspect of its build. that being said they control the size of the wrench fitment to use. there is not a phenomenal amount of torque involved there (even a T25 wrench can deliver much more then needed) as it is a tension adjustable item (leg movement tension). but then again it just doesn't look as impressive.

I actually like torx as I use European cars so I'm familiar with the head. Would Gitzo specify down to the minutest detail for things like screws? I would have thought that they source those kind of parts from a quality manufacturer that has the control over the size of the torx socket in the head.

Looking at the screw head on my 3541LS there is room there for a T30 socket which would greatly increase the torque range. The screws on the leg joints on my tripod are tight and the legs have worked just right for the last two years. If ever they became loose I'm in trouble. The outside washer on the screw is flat brass.

The equivalent outside washer on my Benro traveler is a spring washer with a tooth lock design and those screws are not tight. I can lock the Benro legs if I want. I may have to get spring washers in the future for my Gitzo, either wave or tooth lock type.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · RRS MTX Tool

yes Torx are nice. Torx+ are used on the 787 for many panels. so I have the 3 sizes used for it. 15 20 and 25

yes Gitzo specs every main component on their products. kind of reduces the chance of the off the shelf option except for minor nuts and bolts. you could still mod build an item but in the long run its more cost effective to just get their original replacement parts. especially the ones that have the Gitzo logo on the. there always seems to be room for that.

if it loosened why would you be in trouble? they are easy to adjust with the proper tools.

getting parts for a gitzo really isn't all that hard.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:31 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · RRS MTX Tool

Yes I didn't think about the Gitzo logo on the head, you're right about that. Maybe they are custom made.

sjms wrote:
if it loosened why would you be in trouble? they are easy to adjust with the proper tools. getting parts for a gitzo really isn't all that hard.

Because the screws are tight, and by tight I mean you can't screw them in any more. I have yet to experience looseness though so maybe everything will be OK and looseness just means a loose screw which just needs tightening. I never had to touch the leg joint screws on my old Gitzo 1228 and maybe I'm worrying about nothing here...

I've never had a problem sourcing Gitzo parts; you have the part number and you make a phone call and it's shipped to you.

sjms wrote:
yes Torx are nice. Torx+ are used on the 787 for many panels. so I have the 3 sizes used for it. 15 20 and 25

So let me get this straight: You get on an aeroplane and start unscrewing Torx screws if you see them?

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · RRS MTX Tool

on aeroplanes:
sure do if I have to. comes with the territory. my employer wouldn't have it any other way if it was necessary to do at the time. gotta keep em maintained and in the air safely. gotta access things and this planes just a 'little" different.

up until this plane Boeing was pretty much Philips
early Airbus were Quad tips
Douglas loved Tri wing tips
didn't work Lockheed

you'd be amazed at how much can be and is done in that time between flights.

what you think is tight is currently adjusted properly. I have field stripped both Gitzo and RRS leg sets down to individual component parts a few times.

NIKON D4    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8 lens    24mm    f/6.3    1/25s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:15 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · RRS MTX Tool

Oh I get it. You're part of a maintenance team? I had this picture in my mind's eye of a passenger just getting on a plane and randomly fiddling with screws...

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · RRS MTX Tool

Yep, supposedly one of the brain trust. Lead tech

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · RRS MTX Tool

sjms wrote:
leave it to the little pixies at RRS to come up with the perfect stocking stuffer for the tripod owner (especially theirs). it is a multibit screwdriver tool named the MTX. it is designed to essentially field strip their tripods down to their base components in addition to some other brands too. yes, like the rest of their gear it is made in the US. it contains 22 bits of varying types to fit every attachment bolt used. in addition there's even a right angle Allan wrench. the most used bits are stored in the grip and there is a
...Show more

All those bits are needed to service an RRS tripod? I'm having second thoughts about buying one.

EBH

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password