Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

joshua grasso
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

This was my first attempt at a family session. This is the first photo shoot that I actually feel like I did a pretty good job. Still want to do better so C&C appreciated. I know its dog heavy shoot but that was the main reason they wanted me.
I tried to work with the backlight look a little bit as well. Had my wife hold a shoot through umbrella off camera. Shot with a 5dII . Luckily they had an awesome woodsy scene in front of their house. Also got to test out my black rapid dual strap. Made it easier to nimbly move between my 24-70 and 70-200

More on the blog.
joshuagrasso.com/blog

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 03:11 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:36 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

Cute set, I think it's pretty good work and I'm sure they'll be pleased. A couple of them (whole family sitting on a rock, and the next one you've posted after that) look a bit overexposed or washed out. Assuming you shot in RAW, shouldn't be a problem to pull them back and even 'em out a bit.

Nice job!

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:43 PM
John-Tolentino
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

Nice coverage, man. You forgot to number these for C&C. I really like the ones that are cropped tight. I also like the photo of the retriever on the wooden deck. great use of leading lines. My favorites are the girl with her cat and the very 1st image.

I'm a newbie myself so take my criticisms with a grain of salt. I'm just here to learn and help others learn as well.

1. I'm not a big fan of the couple sitting on the couch with the tree on far right side. There's a relative amount of negative space in the middle of the frame which makes the image unbalance for me. It makes it look like a snapshot. But I think you lit them very well on this scene.

2. For the outdoor images there seems be a great contrast between shadows and highlight due to the direction of the light. For example, the 4th image from the bottom. You can clearly see the shadow casted by subjects behind a well lit scene. I would have try to shoot that at a lower angle and done it horizontally.

Thanks for sharing these and feel free to correct me.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:11 AM

joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

I always forget the numbers dangit lol

1. I'm not a big fan of the couple sitting on the couch with the tree on far right side. There's a relative amount of negative space in the middle of the frame which makes the image unbalance for me. It makes it look like a snapshot. But I think you lit them very well on this scene.
I agree. I liked how it looked having them off to the side and the tree off to the other but I felt like There might be something off and you described it perfectly. I think if I came around to the right then that would have brought the tree and subject closer and killed the negative space. Good point

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:09 AM
yogi3939
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

Some good stuff here for a first time. My favorite is the one of the young girl holding the cat. It seem to be the best of the lot for color and exposure as well as a very cute expression on both the girl and the cat.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:11 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First family session...Dog heavy shoot

These are really nice images and an attractive family. It is hard to believe that young woman has that many children of that age, she looks absolutely terrific and young. Lucky husband indeed. Personally I would revisit all the images starting with 6 and redo the PP to reduce the blown out details and punch up the color/contrast just a tad, other then that very nice.

Dave

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:30 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password