New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Teleconverter Recommendation

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teleconverter Recommendation

I have a D600 and a 70-200 VRII. Can someone recommend a specific teleconverter that will give me the best IQ possible and some additional reach? How much IQ degradation would there be with a 2.0 converter? I don't mind going down to 1.4 if it will make a big difference in IQ.

Please recommend specific brand an model you know will work well with this combo in low light situations. Thanks!

B

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:46 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teleconverter Recommendation

blutch wrote:
I have a D600 and a 70-200 VRII. Can someone recommend a specific teleconverter that will give me the best IQ possible and some additional reach? How much IQ degradation would there be with a 2.0 converter? I don't mind going down to 1.4 if it will make a big difference in IQ.

Please recommend specific brand an model you know will work well with this combo in low light situations. Thanks!

B

The Nikon TC's are the best. I have the 1.4x and 1.7x and love them. Would like the pick up the 2.0x version 3 sometime. The Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 is good also.

degradation from the 1.4x is very little to none and the 1.7x is a little bit. From what I hear the version 3 of the 2.0x is very useable and better then the version 2.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:57 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teleconverter Recommendation

I've used 'em all on the 70-200 VR II and finally settled on the TC-17E II for the best combo of reach/IQ
Heavy D800 (pretend it's your 6) crop SOOC

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:06 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teleconverter Recommendation

ok. Just bought one in B&S. Thanks for the recommendations.
B

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:10 PM
fpimentel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teleconverter Recommendation

blutch wrote:

B

You can use any of the three TC's that Nikon has for AFS lenses. I have used the same lens with all the three and they work fine. I would not buy a non-Nikon teleconverter since most of them are substandard. Using a TC will always affect IQ, from less using the 1.4x to more "degradation" of IQ using a TC2x. The new one is somehow better (the version III) and this is a shot using that TC.

Kinglet

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:36 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teleconverter Recommendation

Ok, I got my TC-17E II. I'd like to test the difference in IQ between photos taken with and without it. What's a good way to do that? Thanks B

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teleconverter Recommendation

^ Pick a target at a distance you'll most likely be shootin'. Now, take the same shot with and without TC (tripod etc.)
I'd try each @ f 5.6 and then crop the 1st to the size of the 2nd and compare. The results might surprise you.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:37 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teleconverter Recommendation

I did that handheld yesterday. Big diff in IQ between the two. The one difference is, instead of cropping them to the same size, I just moved closer to the object when I took the shot without the TC.

Is there any difference in technique when using the TC? Thanks!

B

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:09 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teleconverter Recommendation

I just moved closer to the object when I took the shot without the TC.
That's not fair! Suppose you're shooting at BIF from the edge of a cliff
re: technique....I usually stop down 1/3 to 2/3rds of a stop, keep my SS up and
roll my finger over the shutter. Don't forget to follow thru...very important! I'm
assuming handheld, you can get away with a lot...when shootin' on sticks.

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Airphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teleconverter Recommendation

blutch wrote:
I did that handheld yesterday. Big diff in IQ between the two. The one difference is, instead of cropping them to the same size, I just moved closer to the object when I took the shot without the TC.

Is there any difference in technique when using the TC? Thanks!

B

You need to increase your shutter speed to compensate and make sure your closed down one stop minimum! The 1.4 is the sharpest of the group. THe 1.7 and the 2.0 are very very close for sharpness. IF you are shooting into the light or bright hazy sky, which is common for birds in flight you will find shorter is better!

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.