New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A workshop image

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A workshop image

This is called Split Rock and it is next to the Green River just north east of Vernal Utah and near Dinosaur NP.

There is a campground and boat launch in front of the rock and heavy brush at my back. It took 14mm on a ff to get all of the rock. Standing further back would include unattractive elements.

This is a “what could you do with this” question, mostly about how to compose within the restricted area.

This composition attempted to get all the rock and all the reflection. The crop was an attempt to reduce the rather drab shoreline. In spring the water might be high enough to include a full reflection and no shore. But at the same time, it might not even allow you to get to this spot.

If you wanted to do a partial, how would you crop?

Split Rock

sooc

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A workshop image

Kinda hard to envision your constraints, but here's a possible crop from your capture. (pay no attention to the color, I used "auto color" for this one).

As to the shooting strategy ... stitching from a different FL / vantage point comes to mind, as does ground level, or overhead. Still kinda tough for me to envision your constraints.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A workshop image

Good one, just sacrifice part of the reflection which is not a very strong element anyway.

Yep, restrictions are hard to convey. Lower would work. It would automatically reduce the reflection. Once that choice is made it would be easy enough. Since my lens captured the entire rock, I am not sure what good a stitch would do.

I chose this angle because I wanted to depict the shape of the rock. A frontal angle (moving to my left) would have missed or deemphasized the shape that attracts us to this place to start with.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A workshop image

Could you move a few steps out into the water? That might help with the shoreline.

I ended up with a slightly more extreme crop.

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/Rock.jpg

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A workshop image

This is a nice crop.

I believe I had the tripod at waters edge, this is a 14mm FF so that's as wide as it gets short of a fisheye lens.

I could have used my 17TSE and shifted up to reduce the shore. I think the real issue here was that I was rotated to get the rock and that included more shore. Maybe I could have moved a bit left and reduced the angle.

As I recall, this rock would be a decent sunset location with the sun illumination the face. Maybe a nice red cloud cover would take this from mundane to wow.

I wonder if I could simulate that? IE add some sunset sky and change the rock and water to reflect the color? That seems above my clone level. I can add the sky but don't know how to do the rest.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A workshop image

Here is a crude attempt at simulating a sunset.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A workshop image

You can shoot multiple frames and stitch them together to effectively shoot wider without a wider lens. OTOH, it doesn't make the light less boring.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A workshop image

But if you have a wider lens, you don't need to. The only time I stitch is when I don't have a wide enough lens.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A workshop image

You wrote earlier in the thread: "... this is a 14mm FF so that's as wide as it gets short of a fisheye lens."

That's why I mentioned, without a fisheye you can go wider by stitching....

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A workshop image

yep, just wanted to point out that the range was tight. I think my 17 would have covered the crop we ended up with. I was fixated on getting as much reflection as possible.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.