Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

dreamplayer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I bought the brand new 1635 F4 VR from B&H.

When I unboxed it, I was shocked. There are plenty of ’Silver Reflective‘ dots , look like metal dusts in the lens. But I shook the lens, these "dusts" didn't move. Then, I have no idea what it is.

In photo they are white, but actually they are silver

Here is the picture, does it matter? or I should return it to B&H?

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:58 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

Do those dusts affect image quality when you shoot into the light source? A couple years ago, my new 16-35 arrived with lub oil leaking from the front ring.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

mshi wrote:
Do those dusts affect image quality when you shoot into the light source? A couple years ago, my new 16-35 arrived with lub oil leaking from the front ring.

that is irrelevant. it is a new purchase and should be clear. had this develop on a 16-85 of theirs. returned for clean under warranty.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:24 PM
RoyC
• •
p.1 #4 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

It is one thing to shine an intense light into a lens at a steep angle to the long axes of the lens and have some bright spots being reflected on to the glass components. Versus looking down the lens and seeing a lot of dust.

Which do you have?

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:39 PM
James R
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I don't believe Canon or Nikon build lenses in true clean rooms. Dust inside a lens is not a big problem because it usually doesn't effect IQ, at least that has been my experience.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Danner
• •
p.1 #6 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I would send it back for another one.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

nano coating?

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:36 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

As long as its purchased new, I'd return it. It doesn't cost you or them anything major. Your not scamming anyone or 'coming out ahead.' You simply want new, clean gear. To some it might be nit picking, to others its justified. So for me, its justified. BH is a giant retailer, doubt they'd even care that much for an exchange.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I just checked 3 lenses at random. One bought new, and two bought used. All 3 had far more dust on the outside of the front element than there was inside the lens. All were very clean on the interior. FWIW, the one Nikon i checked had a few silvery spots on the inside that the two third-party lenses did not have.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:40 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

This is interesting. I just checked 4 more lenses. Two Nikons both had the tiny silvery spots. The pair of third-party lenses did not have these dust spots. Apparently Nikon does something differently than other makers.

All lenses I inspected have always operated perfectly for me. If there is any IQ degradation, it is so minor as to be imperceptible.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:57 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

wasnt this a major issue with there 70-200 some time ago if i remember?

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I would return it. You pay extra for a brand new item, and that is what you should receive!

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:14 PM
dreamplayer

p.1 #13 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

RoyC wrote:
It is one thing to shine an intense light into a lens at a steep angle to the long axes of the lens and have some bright spots being reflected on to the glass components. Versus looking down the lens and seeing a lot of dust.

Which do you have?

they are actually on the front element cover or something. the Black Metal Element. something, I don't what it is

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:31 AM
ReyGay
• • •
p.1 #14 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

It could be dandruff from the assembly. Otherwise, from what I can see, are they silver spots on the edge of the optics or are they in the middle? Older lenses have silvery edges on their optics, probably separation?

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Airphoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · Help! Defective nikon 1635 F4

I would return it or you can pay $200 later for an extensive cleaning. THis is a sealed lens dust should get in or out. I have one tiny tiny spot, grayish silver I can find in my 1635vr and I had to look for 3 min with superbright 9w flashlight. Yours is a factory mistake. It will shoot fine till you let the sun hit it and then uber flare

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password