Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

I managed to get through it! Just . This was my first ever wedding and was a freebie for a friend who didn't have any budget left for a photographer, but I was very nervous indeed, especially the night before. However, I did my homework and scoped out the venues, planned my shots ahead of time and tried to make sure I was as prepared as I could be. Many of you guys were also a great help indeed so I want to take this opportunity to thank you sincerely for your thoughts and guidance.

I can't believe how difficult it is to process such a large number of photos and get consistency, find a processing style I like, and choose the shots I want to give to the newly weds. What a crazy learning experience this has been, and I can now really appreciate what you pro's put yourselves through! lol.

So, here's a selection from the day.

Assignment 3 by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (1) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (2) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (3) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (4) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (5) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (6) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (7) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (8) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (9) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (10) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (11) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (12) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (13) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (14) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (15) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (16) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (17) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (18) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (19) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (20) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (21) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (22) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (23) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (24) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (25) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (26) by ct8282, on Flickr

DSC_0863 by ct8282, on Flickr

DSC_0897 by ct8282, on Flickr

DSC_1974 by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (27) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (28) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (29) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (30) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (31) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (32) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (33) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (34) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (35) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (36) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (37) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (38) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (41) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (39) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (40) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (42) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (43) by ct8282, on Flickr

Assignment 3 (44) by ct8282, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed the set. I'm not precious so please C&C to your hearts content and let me know what you like or don't like about the shots. I must say it's pretty daunting posting a first wedding set in here, especially considering some of the awesome sets that have been posted recently.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:54 AM
digic4
• •
p.1 #2 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

very well done. Excellent is the right word for "First Wedding Assignment".

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Jomcc

p.1 #3 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Great photos. I think all of these were great. If I was the bride I would prefer most of them in colour but she may have preferred the B & W. Great positioning of the couple and bridal part in the posed shots. They look stylish and contemporary. Well done

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Jomcc

p.1 #4 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Great photos. I think all of these were great. If I was the bride I would prefer most of them in colour but she may have preferred the B & W. Great positioning of the couple and bridal part in the posed shots. They look stylish and contemporary. Well done

Jomcc

p.1 #5 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

You did a very nice job.

Funny, they didn't have room in their budget for a photographer but they rent a Rolls Royce to deliver them. Look at the venue, the clothes, the reception. They spent a wad. If they had budgeted 10% for a professional photographer, they would have been able to hire a very good one.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:58 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #7 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

dmacmillan wrote:
You did a very nice job.

Funny, they didn't have room in their budget for a photographer but they rent a Rolls Royce to deliver them. Look at the venue, the clothes, the reception. They spent a wad. If they had budgeted 10% for a professional photographer, they would have been able to hire a very good one.

Thank you very much. The Rolls Royce is owned and was driven by the brides uncle so that didn't cost them a penny. The venue is a local registry office and only costs a few hundred pounds and the breakfast was held in a local pub in the town centre. The band is the grooms father's band, his father being the lead guitarist and singer. All in all this was a very budget wedding but they did amazingly well for what they could afford.
And as a gesture they offered me a small payment at the end of the night but I wouldn't hear of it. 10% of their budget wouldn't have secured a very highly experienced pro photog at all I can assure you.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

All in all this was a very budget wedding but they did amazingly well for what they could afford.

And you did a nice job of making it feel even more posh. Here are some nits.

+ I'd kill one of the three shots of the girl in 15-17.
+ 25 does nothing for me -- I'm sure the kid is important, but it's just a guy holding a kid -- no story or discernible interaction
+ 30 and 31 are outstanding. Nice posing in 30.
+ 32 looks like a snapshot -- expressions are in the middle of changing to other expressions, and there's no story element
+ 33 of the flower is too wide (or perhaps too close). Crop tighter, get more detail, or it's just a picture of some lily.
+ Why are we tilting in 34?
+ What does the camera-left side add in 35? Why not crop tighter on the people, if you think that moment is worth keeping?
+ In 40, I'd dodge the guy talking to draw attention to him. Right now, the bright spot is high camera right, which is not the desired focus of attention.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Nice job.. best free wedding photography EVER .

My 2nd wedding i did a low budget wedding. When I got to the wedding, I saw nothing that was low budget but my service Hahaha. Even her ring was upgraded. On the e-session, she had a small diamond. On the wedding day, it was a completely different ring with a big rock.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:49 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #10 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Robin Usagani wrote:
Nice job.. best free wedding photography EVER .

My 2nd wedding i did a low budget wedding. When I got to the wedding, I saw nothing that was low budget but my service Hahaha. Even her ring was upgraded. On the e-session, she had a small diamond. On the wedding day, it was a completely different ring with a big rock.

Wow. Thanks Robin.

If I ever get asked to do another wedding I'll be sure to check the size of the diamond before deciding if it's a freebie or not. lol.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #11 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Ian Ivey wrote:
And you did a nice job of making it feel even more posh. Here are some nits.

+ I'd kill one of the three shots of the girl in 15-17.
+ 25 does nothing for me -- I'm sure the kid is important, but it's just a guy holding a kid -- no story or discernible interaction
+ 30 and 31 are outstanding. Nice posing in 30.
+ 32 looks like a snapshot -- expressions are in the middle of changing to other expressions, and there's no story element
+ 33 of the flower is too wide (or perhaps too close). Crop
...Show more

Ian, thank you for taking the time to comment. I agree with you on 25, it does nothing for the set. The couple will of course appreciate it but it adds nothing here. I very much like 32 however.

I see your point on 33. Thinking back to the scene I reckon a wider crop would have worked. I tilted 34 as it produced some subtle lead in lines and the flat image of that scene was just a little bland for me.
Lots of photogs using the technique in 35 presently with great success. Perhaps I didn't get it right though?
Definitely agree with you on 40. As you can see that room was a nightmare for lighting. Bounce flash was hit and miss because of the walls and ceiling. Brightness and colours were all over the place because of the huge glass roof and open kitchen, hence why many are in B&W. I think that shot was from the D800 so boosting the shadows should be no trouble at all.

Thanks again for your feedback. Most appreciated.

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Lots of photogs using the technique in 35 presently with great success. Perhaps I didn't get it right though?

Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at. Probably the thing that breaks the composition for me here is that the wall extends about to the middle. If you crop out part of the left side so that the wall ends at about the third-line, it might improve the feel.

I guess the point of this is to emphasize the voyeurish ninja-photographer-you-can't-see-over-here-behind-this-wall thing? Maybe it works better when you're shooting something that appears intimate -- a kiss, a quiet conversation away from other ears, a moment between father and daughter. This shot doesn't benefit from sneaky-weasel photography. (And you can't see what's going on at the table or even the full expressions of most of the subjects.) Of course, I'm a crotchety old guy, so maybe I'm just too grumpy.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #13 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

I really enjoyed the set, and I really like #30....but her eye on the left being so much brighter than the eye on the right just draws my attention a little too much.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:53 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

My only nitpick is that a majority of them are cropped/shot really tight.

I love the colors and conversions. I think you did well with the room. The coverage looks realistic and bold.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:18 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #15 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Ian Ivey wrote:
Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at. Probably the thing that breaks the composition for me here is that the wall extends about to the middle. If you crop out part of the left side so that the wall ends at about the third-line, it might improve the feel.

I guess the point of this is to emphasize the voyeurish ninja-photographer-you-can't-see-over-here-behind-this-wall thing? Maybe it works better when you're shooting something that appears intimate -- a kiss, a quiet conversation away from other ears, a moment between father and daughter. This shot doesn't benefit from sneaky-weasel photography. (And
...Show more

Ian, I can't comment on the crotchety old guy part but you're not grumpy in this case. In fact, you're absolutely right and on reflection I completely agree. Thank you for your thoughts on that shot.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:03 AM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #16 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Your first wedding assignment turned out fantastic. You did a great job!

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:33 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #17 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

cannpope wrote:
Your first wedding assignment turned out fantastic. You did a great job!

Thank you very much indeed.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:59 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Wow a band but no budget at ALL for a photographer. Priorities.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:08 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #19 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

misty23 wrote:
Wow a band but no budget at ALL for a photographer. Priorities.

Thanks Misty. As previously stated the band is the grooms fathers' band, his father being the lead singer/guitarist and obviously performed for free.

I wasn't planning this thread to become a criticism of the couple's ability to afford, or not for that matter, a professional photographer. They are my good friends and I was very happy to help them, and in return I got to experience a wedding photo shoot and gather pictures for my portfolio.

I welcome your thoughts and critique on the pictures in my set as this was my intention for the thread.

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #20 · First wedding. C&C and advice very welcome

Wow, really first wedding, eh? I never would have guessed that. Excellent work!

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password