Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Okay, here's the situation. After a long search, you acquire your dream lens. It doesn't really matter what it is, just that it's more than you've ever spent on a single lens and fairly hard to find, much less at a good price. You stumbled across an optically and mechanically perfect copy at an estate sale a few months ago and, when the seller told you to make him an offer, you offered roughly fifty to fifty-five percent of the going rate. Then you nearly passed out with joy when he accepted the offer.

And you're happy with the lens. Yeah, there are some purchases you thought you'd make before the end of the year you'll have to put off, but you didn't acquire any consumer debt because of the purchase. And aside from possibly not living up to your impossible expectations, you're very pleased with the lens' performance to the point where you're actually planning your shooting jaunts around its use.

Then someone offers to buy it from you. And when you hem and haw about selling, they raise their already generous offer to roughly 2.5x what you paid for the lens.

So you look around and realize that availability on the lens has gone from low to only being sold in a kit with other lenses or for ridiculous collector's prices. When you point that out, his offer goes up to 3x what you paid for the lens.

What do you do?

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:40 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

So you mean it's like me finding a great copy of the Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH for $1,000 at an estate sale and then someone offers me $4,500 for it? I would sell it at $4,850 and keep using my Zeiss ZM 50/2 until I find another copy of the Lux 50/1.4 ASPH at a lower price.

Reason for my potentially "callous" attitude is that 1) it's an offer I can't refuse, and 2) someone tried to low ball me significantly just recently when I provided a decent price on a used body. Perhaps I'm still put off by the ensuing conversation where the guy tells me "are you going to sell it to me at my price or not?!"

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:51 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I forgot to mention, your dream lens is out of production.

But the 'lux example works, since they're about as difficult to get. But let's be a little more realistic about the price differences. You found your 'lux for $1000 and you're being offered $3000.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:59 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

If you don't need to sell it, why sell it? If anything, the price will continue to go up and if you ever need the money you can sell it for even more. Just make sure you don't drop it on the concrete :-)
Paul

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:02 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
I forgot to mention, your dream lens is out of production.

But the 'lux example works, since they're about as difficult to get. But let's be a little more realistic about the price differences. You found your 'lux for $1000 and you're being offered $3000.

I wouldn't sell it at $3K.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:11 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Don't sell it. If someone asked you how much you would pay for a dream come true (it IS your dream lens, isn't it?), what would you say? Money is just some green papers. Be happy and sometimes lend it to the person that gave you the offer for free if it's your friend and be happy together.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:11 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

It's funny, Paul. I ended up selling, and the one of the factors was how much I babied the lens. Generally speaking, I love my gear, but I'd rather make an insurance claim than not try to get the shot. This lens turned me into a nervous twit to the point where I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get comfortable enough to take it where I wanted it to go.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:17 AM
joxang
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Now uve sold it...tell us what it was!!!

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:21 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

It was the Leica 400/560/800 head with the 1x module. So the prices were considerably higher than the 'lux example.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:24 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I have this situation with my Leica 180/2, sort of. I love this lens, it is a true dream lens for me, but I don't use it that much, and the price has gone up about 1000 Euro since I bought it, and is slowly continuing upwards. Not 3x, but still a sizeable chunk. For now I am keeping it, but I guess I need to use it more if I were to justify that.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I am pretty emotional about lens, if I find something 1/2 to 1/3 of going rate mint copy lens I love, I will never sell it at even up to 1.5X going rate to cash out the balance unless I can buy it brand new at less

It really depend how you like that lens. No matter what price, especially if it took something special for you

If it is the one you mentioned, Leica 400/560/800 head, yes I will buy it and cash it out It is not my focal length.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:03 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Dreams when realized are no more Dreams.

If you need the money sell it.

Otherwise, life is short and needs to be enjoyed.

Use it!

P.S. So which lens is it?

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:03 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Almass wrote:
Dreams when realized are no more Dreams.

+1

Or to quote Jacques (the bowling instructor) in the Simpsons.

"Better than a deed, better than a memory, the moment... of anticipation!"

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:18 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

carstenw wrote:
I have this situation with my Leica 180/2, sort of. I love this lens, it is a true dream lens for me, but I don't use it that much, and the price has gone up about 1000 Euro since I bought it, and is slowly continuing upwards. Not 3x, but still a sizeable chunk. For now I am keeping it, but I guess I need to use it more if I were to justify that.

The Cron 180/2 is a great lens but I personally prefer the Nikon 200/2 G VRII mainly because of AF.

The one lens which I think has the highest price appreciation value is the Voigt 125/2.5 Ai-s.
I personally don't like it and the hood is so silly! They are back in the boxes and parked in the cabinet.

It went from $600 to $3000 and still climbing!

A cool crazy and undeserved 500%.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
It was the Leica 400/560/800 head with the 1x module. So the prices were considerably higher than the 'lux example.

oh sh**! i gotta start going estate sales.

if it was the lens i used most i'd keep it, otherwise i'd probably sell and buy the cheaper alternative (280/2.8 APO + teleconverter?).

i don't think i have a dream lens right now, i have the dream of some genius lens designer figuring out how to shrink my c/y 35/1.4 and rokkor 58/1.2 down to rangefinder lenses the size of the m 35/1.4 pre asph and zm 50/1.5 respectively.

i would definitely jump at the chance to get an R 280/4 apo or cv 125/2.5 apo at half price, but i'd probably just use them for a year and sell since they wouldn't get a lot of use and my daughter might want to go to college...

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:34 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Almass wrote:
The one lens which I think has the highest price appreciation value is the Voigt 125/2.5 Ai-s.
I personally don't like it and the hood is so silly! They are back in the boxes and parked in the cabinet.

It went from $600 to $3000 and still climbing!

A cool crazy and undeserved 500%.

hah, would you trade one for a R 100 apo?

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:37 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I know what you mean about using it on the street. Close to how I felt when I took EF 85L for a walk in central London at night (after working in three jobs to earn it). I have never experienced quite such a dramatic price difference, although I got lucky with Leica R in a small second hand shop once - bought the 35/2 and 180/3.4 for half the price. Both sold now

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

sebboh wrote:
hah, would you trade one for a R 100 apo?

Thanks, already got an APO 100

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:49 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Almass wrote:
Thanks, already got an APO 100

i know, i just remember you liked it better. figured you might want a backup instead of a risky investment.

edit: also, i'm just kidding (mostly). i don't have a 100 apo, but i can buy one unlike a cv 125/2.5 apo.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:52 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
It's funny, Paul. I ended up selling, and the one of the factors was how much I babied the lens. Generally speaking, I love my gear, but I'd rather make an insurance claim than not try to get the shot. This lens turned me into a nervous twit to the point where I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get comfortable enough to take it where I wanted it to go.

If it was keeping you from using it then it wasn't worth it -- better to have sold it. Its like Camron's Dad (in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) with his Ferrari. At one point I had gathered quite a collection of dream lenses, but it got to the point where i couldn't figure out which ones to take with me. It was at that point I decided to forget about the dream lenses and focus on what I could carry and still get the shots I wanted. The only one I really miss is the Rokkor 58/1.2....

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:57 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password