New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A foggy day at the beach

TTee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A foggy day at the beach

Some friends asked if I would get some photographs of them with their dogs. The fog came in lightly and I kinda liked the feel it gave to the images. C&C.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A foggy day at the beach

The tilted horizons in the first and second shots are very distracting ... more so in the first. Increase your contact a little in these as well.

Other than what I just stated, I like the over-all compositions of these shots.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:27 PM
chuckg

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A foggy day at the beach

They seem a bit loose to me. Try cropping a little closer. Nice expressions and posing.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A foggy day at the beach

I disgree with Andre a bit. This is a nit. I don't think the photos have a horizon tilt. I think the beach is sloping down towards the water. Even though the trees are out of the DoF area, the trunks appear to be going straight up. The dog's front legs -- straight up. I like them.

The fog contributes to the low contrast and the great even lighting. I wouldn't change the contrast. Doing so would take away from the calming effect of the fog.

We all see different things in photos. I'm not trying to argue with Andre... I think we just see different things in the same photos.

Nice job!

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:06 AM
russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A foggy day at the beach

Tilt/horizon looks fine to me...

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:17 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A foggy day at the beach

There may be a tilt to the first image, but doesn't bother me. I do like chuckg's comment about cropping/composing in a little tighter. With photos like these (which are really nice, by the way), I like the idea of going in close, or going WAY wide and massive negative space (although that's just my personal preference haha). Great work.

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A foggy day at the beach

Neither image seems tilted to me, they both seem level.
I agree about cropping tighter, and work on expressions. The smiles and other expressions seem forced. To me it looks like the man is looking at the camera with contempt, and the woman is trying to force a fake smile.

The fog is not a bad addition to the image.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:54 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A foggy day at the beach

I agree on the horizon being tilted on the first, so I guess the score is 3 straight, 2 tilted. The second one is harder to determine, but it doesn't distract my eye. In the first it does. I really like the images and the fog effect, particularly 1 and 3, but I'd love to see 1 rotated clockwise about 10 degrees. Nice shooting!

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:13 PM
TTee

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A foggy day at the beach

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the feedback...and I apologize for not replying sooner. I see what everyone means about cropping and will crop tighter.

Regarding the tilt, I sat with camera level to the horizon and this is the original look. The beach was greatly sloped. I debated leveling them to the eye in post but felt they added something. Looking at it more, I feel the natural slope adds value in image #2 with the dogs walking to the water but I may straighten out image #1. The fog rolled in quickly. Any longer and it wouldn't have worked. Thanks again.

Tom

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A foggy day at the beach

I agree.. level #1 a little more. The low contrast does not bother me. I kinda like it. Those dogs are so cute.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.