Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

allstarimaging
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

Hello,
In an attempt to get as much right in camera as possible in the past I have gotten my picture control settings to a point where the straight out of the camera files only need a limited amount of work. For those of you who have made adjustments to the in camera color control portrait settings what have you found works well for you with regard to tweaking color, contrast, sharpening, etc. Thanks
Jack

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:45 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

D2X color profiles

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:53 PM
zesto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

BenV wrote:
D2X color profiles

Had the D2X profile on my D3; didn't know it was downloadable to the D800 though.

To the OP - I do a lot of portrait work and only use RAW. I think the additional effort in PP is worthwhile.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:31 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

BEnV- I am unable to locate a link to donwload the D2x profiles for a D800 and I believe I had read that was not an option.

zesto- I only shoot RAW on an as needed basis. The D800 files are massive and for most of my shooting I actually shoot in JPEG medium files and save time on processing. I really only go to RAW when I have something that I may print or if I'm on a paid assignment. For 90% of what I do jpegs are more than adequate and even jpegs have a lot of room in them in post if needed. I can't stand sitting in front of the computer that's why I try to get it right in the camera.

Jack

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

With the D800 I now shoot with standard picture style saturation -1 with AWB2 white balance setting. These settings seem to give me the best files.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

I set it to Portrait
6 sharpening
+1 contrast
+1 saturation
-1-2 Hue (redder)

Works for most settings for me.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:18 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

Bruce and vchowdhary...this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I just bought a used D800 recently but so far I like the color that the camera delivers. I find them pretty close to the old D2X colors.

Thank you
Jack

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:36 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

I shoot raw and jpeg backup. So to my eyes for most outdoor and bright situations that works good on the jpegs.

For raw, using CNX2, I found what worked best was the Neutral setting with sharpening turned up. Only issue was that once I got dual card cameras I started to want to have a good quality jpeg (have rather impatient friends/family) to share.
The neutral setting really kills the contrast and SOOC to me it looks quite poor. But is the one where raw processing works the best IMO.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D800 in camera portrait settings??

I also would like to note that I do flip between the different settings. When shooting in a high contrast setting I will shoot in neutral with contest and saturation -1. I then adjust in post. For my general shooting with flash or in good but low light I will shoot with the Standard setting. Since I process in CNX2 these settings have more impact on the output. It's still easy enough to change with the software but I am trying to minimize the amount of color correction and WB adjustments in post. Nikon WB seems pretty good outdoors and with flash but indoors without flash it is not nearly as good as I would like. I have begun taking more custom WB and playing with the kelvin settings to get close in difficult lighting situations.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password