Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

kev8d

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Our Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkI lens recently fell and shattered during a wedding shoot.

It's insured under our policy, and it looks we may be able to have the insurance company replace it after we pay our $500 deductible, but I have no experience with insurance claims.

Should I expect to see a significant increase on my payments after I file a claim? The lens is worth $1400 (so $900 after deductible)

Also, the cause of the fall was due to the wind knocking over a tripod (it was a rooftop shoot at the top of a tall building). My insurance company is not being forthcoming with whether this cause is covered.

---
Also, Canadians: Do you have any insurance company recommendations?

Thanks!

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:49 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

I would think it would be worth it... Is your deductible a per-claim deducible or an annual one?

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Would love to hear the outcome of this...

If your premiums rise by, say "only" $50/month, then it'll be 1.5 years til you "win" by filing a claim.

I hope the rest of the wedding went well.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

My damn insurance deductible just went up to 750.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:32 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Do you not have replacement value insured on the lens? If so, I'd think it was highly worth replacement consideration.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:55 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

who are you guys using? That's crazy!! I use state farm and no deductibles....filed a claim because wife dropped 85 during a wedding and I got it fixed, they paid, premium didn't go up

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:05 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

At least when I have needed to file a claim, they don't just replace it. If its repairable, they will repair it, whichever is cheaper to them.

Pay $500 deductible and get a $1500 lens, why is this even a question? I'd do that every single day of the week if I could

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

MBMK wrote:
who are you guys using? That's crazy!! I use state farm and no deductibles.

State Farm BUSINESS POLICY?

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:44 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

D. Diggler wrote:
State Farm BUSINESS POLICY?

I have that and personal article policy which is super cheap. no deductibles, and if my camera gets stollen, broken, anywhere in the planet, they'll reimburse me w/out any question. I just use the business policy for the libiality purpose. So basically I have 2 policies

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

MBMK wrote:
I have that and personal article policy which is super cheap. no deductibles, and if my camera gets stollen, broken, anywhere in the planet, they'll reimburse me w/out any question. I just use the business policy for the libiality purpose. So basically I have 2 policies

I use State Farm also, and not only did I just find out that 1/2 of my equipment isn't covered because they never added it, but I had to go back and forth with them for over a month to make sure that they understood that this was a business. They kept putting me on a personal articles policy. After I told them a third time this was for a business, and that if I was found out to be doing business under a personal articles policy, they'd deny my claim, THEN they figured it out. Why I had to do their job for them, I'll never know, but check your policy closely and the paperwork they give you. My local office is friendly as all get out, but a little dumb when it came to getting me a business policy.

Can you imagine going to filing a claim for $30k because all your gear got stolen, and then finding out that they screwed up and you weren't covered? Needless to say that would be your fault, despite paying them for their "expertise" in insurance.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:01 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

MBMK wrote:

How much you payin' a year for the two policies? I'm payin' nearly $700 a year for the 750 deductible.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:48 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

MBMK wrote:
I have that and personal article policy which is super cheap, no deductibles

"Personal article" doesn't sound like a business policy for your work gear.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:52 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

D. Diggler wrote:
"Personal article" doesn't sound like a business policy for your work gear.

You can have both. Business gear is not covered if you're not working. In other words, if your gears get stolen from your home, or during travel outside of the US, it's not covered, at least not with mine. In which case, I have my personal article policy to cover me. It doesn't have the crazy deductibles either so it works out fine since it's cheaper than a deducible.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:57 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I use State Farm also, and not only did I just find out that 1/2 of my equipment isn't covered because they never added it, but I had to go back and forth with them for over a month to make sure that they understood that this was a business. They kept putting me on a personal articles policy. After I told them a third time this was for a business, and that if I was found out to be doing business under a personal articles policy, they'd deny my claim, THEN they figured it out. Why I had to
...Show more

I hear what you're saying, that's not "State Farm's" fault. That's your agent. Fire them and find an agent that knows what they're doing.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:59 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I use State Farm also, and not only did I just find out that 1/2 of my equipment isn't covered because they never added it, but I had to go back and forth with them for over a month to make sure that they understood that this was a business. They kept putting me on a personal articles policy. After I told them a third time this was for a business, and that if I was found out to be doing business under a personal articles policy, they'd deny my claim, THEN they figured it out. Why I had to
...Show more

Who do you use? I have a great local state farm agent who would not have made the same mistake. Let me know if you want her info.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

MBMK wrote:
Business gear is not covered if you're not working. In other words, if your gears get stolen from your home, or during travel outside of the US, it's not covered, at least not with mine. In which case, I have my personal article policy to cover me.

What about coverage for theft of your gear while you're working?

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:39 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

I can still claim it. I've done it foe lens damage and they had no objections.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

If you have a full replacement policy get the new 70-200 II, well worth the $500 deductible. I have a policy with The Hartford from Hill & Usher. No claims yet.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:31 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

sivrajbm wrote:
If you have a full replacement policy get the new 70-200 II, well worth the $500 deductible. I have a policy with The Hartford from Hill & Usher. No claims yet.

I've got a policy with The Hartford through Hill & Usher and I had 3 580exii and radio poppers stolen this spring along with manfrotto stands & CP-e3's and the total came out to 2500 bucks or something, and then the staff at the Belvedere in Baltimore lifted a 100 2.8L macro, bout 1000 bucks, so those 2 claims and they dropped me. Gotta love insurance, they want your business until shit happens. Then they drop ya .

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:03 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Some years back I had my gear under a personal article policy. Over time, as I kept updating the insurer with addtional gear purchased and the serial numbers to be covered, their agent contacted me and said, "None of all that gear is being used professionally, is it? ... Because if it is - and there is a claim - and the insurance company finds out you've made even one nickel off that gear, even if the gear is stolen from your home, they will completely deny coverage".

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.