Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Sitting in the rain in SF

eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Ah, the Bay Area...it's lovely this time of year. Pouring rain, gale force winds...can't wait to try to take off later this afternoon for the trip back east A quick weekend trip to visit my west coast living son as he moved to the big city from the burbs. Hopefully I will get to post some shots from our excursion yesterday where we managed to get 2 hours of no rain and even a little sun...but no card reader with me so you all have to settle for stuff from my portable hard drive which I did bring knowing I might have some time on my hands.
Hopefully you all skipped over that first part because that was a wasted 30seconds of your life you will never get back.
Ok, now to the good stuff...well, ok stuff I suppose. I really love Bateleur Eagles (Bateleur is French for tight rope walker...not sure how they got that name but I'm sure Wiki has some great made up stuff that will give us the derivation...maybe the outfits tight rope walkers wear...yeah that's it...oh I just made that up so don't quote me )...great looking birds that are basically scavengers. They are often the first at a kill so following them sometimes yields good results. Other times they just soar...and in this case that's what was happening. I have been trying to figure out what's in its talons but don't have a clue. Many are big crops but for me the interesting thing is how much the light changed going from the first to last shot...the sky is so much bluer and interesting (right UT!). I said I wouldn't post my grey hornbill...so call me a liar...but it was processed so what the hey! And the grey louries aka "go away" birds are also amongst my favorites. Just love their "mohawk" hairdoo.
And just to make it a ligit eyelaser post...a real close up....this is the star of "Eye of the Leopard"....Lagedema with probably the most famous whisker spot...sort of like Cindy Crawford's mole...
Enjoy and hope you are all having a great weekend.
Eric

1-5 Bateleur

6 Grey Lourie (not to be confused with Peter Lorre from the Maltese Falcon and Casablanca)

7 Grey Hornbill

8 Lagedema close up...note the single whisker spot between the top and second row of whisker spots...that is how she can be positively identified in a matter of seconds.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Very nice series.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:14 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Nice set Eric. The eagle looks a little bit like a vulture to me. Red face and it looks like fewer feathers around the beak (less gore sticking to the facial feathers after a meal) compared to some other eagles. I like the hornbill shot. Very good looking image.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Sweet series my friend. Can I pick the last as my fav? #1, 6 and 7 are a close 2nd.

Ted

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Hopefully you all skipped over that first part Too late

Ha that SF weather sucks, cmon up here.... oops it's just as lousy I got out for one burst of Robin today before the clouds and rain came

great looking birds that are basically scavengers Sounds like our Baldies

Oh I'm having fun on your post Eric I do like the Eagle, even if I can't pronounce the name. Mean looking guy. The Grey Lourie look like Cardinals that got too close the campfire Congrats on the twofer. I don't know why you didn't want to post the Hornbill, I really like the shot Killer tight shot of Lagedema, what a beauty!! Super set Eric.

Safe travels my friend!

Tim

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:40 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Fantastic set Eric ! Glad you got a couple of hours of sun Love the first shot . Now you have me very curious what it is carrying .
Love the lorries and the hornbill, but that last shot is outstanding !

Birdie

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:59 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Eric,
Fantastic set as usual, you should give Conrad a call if the weather clears
so he can introduce you to his hot spots this time of year.

-Tim

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:31 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Hey, Eric.
First and most important... that mole on Cindy Crawford is the only (visible-to-the-public) ugly part of her whole exterior!
Of lesser import- I really liked these images .
And finally: I just tested your theory about Wikipedia, and you are right; they say nothing about being able to see wild lagedema eagles in San Francisco. And, since you mention no other geographic location exCEPT San Francisco, I naturally assumed you saw them while you waited for your flight.
Damn Wiki! ()
Although it's much better than Funk and Wagnell ("Look it up in your..." from the old Laugh In TV program. 'Member?
Charlie

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Cools set Eric and quite an intro, I was reaching for a bookmark at one stage
Martin

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:45 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Great photos and adore the last one! Thanks for sharing! BeeBalm

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Super set Eric, and hey I really like your hornbill.

Rob

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:17 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sitting in the rain in SF

very nice Eric .. the last two for me

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:37 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sitting in the rain in SF

The leopard is great and the rest are very nice too Eric. And I didn't read any of that stuff, so I only wasted my 30 sec typing this... ~ Ron

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:43 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Jonathan Huynh wrote:
Very nice series.

Thanks for that Jonathan.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:36 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sitting in the rain in SF

KCollett wrote:
Nice set Eric. The eagle looks a little bit like a vulture to me. Red face and it looks like fewer feathers around the beak (less gore sticking to the facial feathers after a meal) compared to some other eagles. I like the hornbill shot. Very good looking image.

Thanks Ken...the bateleur actually has some great feathers around its face but it does act much like a vulture.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:38 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Ted ellis wrote:
Sweet series my friend. Can I pick the last as my fav? #1, 6 and 7 are a close 2nd.

Ted

Of course you can pick my spotty friend as a fave...it is always mine too....but thanks for the other likes as well.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:39 AM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Eric -- great shots of an eagle most of us don't get to see, many thanks for showing these. Very cool. And the leopard closeup (yet another great shot) is quite something.
Mark

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:40 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sitting in the rain in SF

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Hopefully you all skipped over that first part Too late

Ha that SF weather sucks, cmon up here.... oops it's just as lousy I got out for one burst of Robin today before the clouds and rain came

great looking birds that are basically scavengers Sounds like our Baldies

Oh I'm having fun on your post Eric I do like the Eagle, even if I can't pronounce the name. Mean looking guy. The Grey Lourie look like Cardinals that got too close the campfire Congrats on the twofer. I don't know why you
...Show more
Thanks my friend....to make it easy...you can call them Short Tailed Eagles...they are very easy to spot in the air even by me...the appear to have almost no tail feathers in flight.
Thanks about the hornbill...I guess it was a bit better than I thought at first look.
I always wonder if the leopards know how much we like to photograph them...they certainly get lots of attention.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:43 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sitting in the rain in SF

birdied wrote:
Fantastic set Eric ! Glad you got a couple of hours of sun Love the first shot . Now you have me very curious what it is carrying .
Love the lorries and the hornbill, but that last shot is outstanding !

Birdie

Thanks Roberta...I do wish I could get a look inside that clasped talon...if I was food I would have thought the bird would have landed somewhere to feed.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:44 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sitting in the rain in SF

tfoltz wrote:
Eric,
Fantastic set as usual, you should give Conrad a call if the weather clears
so he can introduce you to his hot spots this time of year.

-Tim

Thanks Tim...very kind words. I did pm him to let him know I was around but with the fam....I will definitely make more trips out there with my son living in town.
Eric

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password