Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

curious80
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Today I found myself at Sony Store with half an hour to kill so I decided to play with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs side by side to see how they compare, and what is the impact of changing different settings. I am sharing my findings with those who might be interested.

The scene that I looked at was fairly high contrast with around 75% of it being the brightly lit store and 25% being the darkish evening view outside the store door (though there was still enough light that I could see everything outside with naked eye). Starting with default settings NEX-7 EVF view looked awful! It was muddy and also had orangish reddish tones - basically if you want to make someone hate an EVF you could show them that. NEX-6 was much clearer. By playing around a bit it was clear that NEX-7 was doing a lousy job at AWB under the artificial store lights (I don't know how the actual pictures looked, I was just comparing EVF view).

Setting both to the same custom white balance settings improved things a lot for NEX-7 and made the EVF views much closer to each other than before. However even after that NEX-7 EVF looked more contrasty with bright parts blown out and dark parts being pretty much black. NEX-6 retained detail in the bright parts and at the same time was showing a tiny bit of detail in the dark outside view (with the same manual exposure set on both cameras). I also played with decreasing the exposure on NEX-7 to restore the bright parts but of course as a result the dark parts were thrown into an even deeper black.

Finally I went to the step of changing the creative style and set the JPEG contrast to -3 on NEX-7. I still had to choose a shorter exposure on NEX-7 to stop the bright parts from blowing, and the final result of reducing the exposure and decreasing the contrast seemed closer to the NEX-6 view. But of course NEX-6 could play the same trick and setting the contrast to -3 on NEX-6 improved its view further with a bit more detail appearing in the dark parts. The final NEX-6 view was definitely an improvement on the best I got out of NEX-7. I wouldn't call it a day and night difference but substantial enough that it felt more natural compared to the artificial looking high contrast NEX-7 view. A random comment is that I appreciated the mode dial on NEX-6.

Based on this limited experience, if I ever buy one of these two cameras it would be NEX-6 (as I have no need for 24MP). The Tri-Navi on NEX-7 is nice in giving you all 3 exposure parameters directly - however I am not a fan of having to use the thumb for all 3 wheels. I like the canon way with thumb controlling the rear wheel and index finger controlling the front dial.

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Adam211
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

curious80 wrote:
I like the canon way with thumb controlling the rear wheel and index finger controlling the front dial.

Agreed. I don't understand why Sony doesn't do this. Also wish they gave us more control over the dials.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:09 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Isn't it just that the sensors are different and react different to the light? The image in the EVF is directly transferred from the sensor. To my knowledge the EVF on NEX-6 and NEX-7 is identical.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:32 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

briantho wrote:
Isn't it just that the sensors are different and react different to the light? The image in the EVF is directly transferred from the sensor.

How do you know that the image isn't processed before it's transferred to the EVF? I imagine that this could be better tuned on the NEX-6.

Besides, the NEX-7 isn't weak in the DR department, is it? At least some have said that the 7 has slightly better DR than the 5N, which is no slouch in itself.

@Chris: Did you also compare the appearance of image on the LCD (rear display)?

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:42 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

The EVF's are NOT identical. I have first hand knowledge of this.
The EVF in the NEX-6 is the same as the A99 and the XE-1.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:10 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Adam211 wrote:
Agreed. I don't understand why Sony doesn't do this. Also wish they gave us more control over the dials.

Another little annoyance was that in magnified play back mode on NEX-6, both the rear wheel and top dial do the same task of changing image magnification. Why not assign them different tasks when you have two dials. Would have been great if one of the dials scrolled through images at current magnification which is how canon and other companies use multiple dials in playback. These are some of those random things which tend to show that unlike traditional camera companies, Sony still doesn't have the camera controls completely figured out and you get a new experiment with every new camera Surprisingly my underrated NX200 gets all of this right even though Samsung is no more a camera company than Sony.

Of course these are not deal breakers, NEX-6 and 7 are in general very nice bodies.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:15 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

briantho wrote:
Isn't it just that the sensors are different and react different to the light? The image in the EVF is directly transferred from the sensor. To my knowledge the EVF on NEX-6 and NEX-7 is identical.

The data is certainly not fed directly from the sensor. Other than the demosaic and white balance needed, it also has to undergo tone mapping because the linear raw sensor data is not suited to how humans view the world, and also because the 14-bit RAW data has to be mapped to 8-bits or whatever is the precision that the LCD and EVF require. Obviously I can't know whether the differences are due to different EVF HW or different tone mapping or a combination of both, however at the end of the day what matters is the end result where NEX-6 was better.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:31 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

AhamB wrote:
How do you know that the image isn't processed before it's transferred to the EVF? I imagine that this could be better tuned on the NEX-6.

Besides, the NEX-7 isn't weak in the DR department, is it? At least some have said that the 7 has slightly better DR than the 5N, which is no slouch in itself.

@Chris: Did you also compare the appearance of image on the LCD (rear display)?

Now that I think about it I should also have played with dynamic range optimization. Maybe next time.

I am not sure if I am the one referred to as Chris , but I didn't compare the LCD images.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:42 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

thrice wrote:
The EVF's are NOT identical. I have first hand knowledge of this.
The EVF in the NEX-6 is the same as the A99 and the XE-1.

Good to know. I also had A99 sitting right next to these 2 (made it really convenient to compare). A99 EVF looked to match NEX-6 view but I didn't get a chance to evaluate it too much.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:45 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

curious80 wrote:
I am not sure if I am the one referred to as Chris , but I didn't compare the LCD images.

Oops, got you confused with someone else.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

curious80 wrote:
Today I found myself at Sony Store with half an hour to kill so I decided to play with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs side by side to see how they compare, and what is the impact of changing different settings. I am sharing my findings with those who might be interested.

thanks a bunch! this is very helpful.

Adam211 wrote:

i hate index finger dials, i find them worse than no dials. everybody has their ergonomic preferences though.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:42 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

I like the finger dial with full auto lenses, with manual, not at all.
I enjoy using the NEX-7 EVF, so any improvement is great.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:26 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

did the nex-6's evf seem any less sensitive to eye position than the nex-7's?

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:51 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

I wear glasses so my eye position would probably not be ideal anyway. However with neither of them I felt a need to place my eye in a special way.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

curious80 wrote:
I wear glasses so my eye position would probably not be ideal anyway. However with neither of them I felt a need to place my eye in a special way.

ah, thanks anyway. i really should find time to just go and handle a nex-6 myself. i find my nex-7 to be annoyingly sensitive to eye position (or maybe it's normal and the eyecup just doesn't fit me near as well as all other eyecups have?).

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:40 AM
you2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Did the store have incandescent or florescence lights? I find that the evf of some cameras cannot handle florescence lights very well....

curious80 wrote:

The scene that I looked at was fairly high contrast with around 75% of it being the brightly lit store and 25% being the darkish evening view outside the store door (though there was still enough light that I could see everything outside with naked eye). Starting with default settings
...Show more

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:45 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Wait, there's such a thing as a NEX-6

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:17 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

Bifurcator wrote:
Wait, there's such a thing as a NEX-6

Yes.

Rich

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:27 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

you2 wrote:
Did the store have incandescent or florescence lights? I find that the evf of some cameras cannot handle florescence lights very well....

Florescent white balance worked best so I assume thats what the light must be. They had the typical square lighting panels in the ceiling, which I suppose might be housing either florescent tubes or CFLs.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:59 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs

you2 wrote:

Totally off-topic, but just FYI it's "fluorescent".
"The name was derived from the mineral fluorite (calcium difluoride), some examples of which contain traces of divalent europium, which serves as the fluorescent activator to emit blue light." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence

"Florescence" (without the U) is an existing word but means something else: a state or period of flourishing.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/florescence

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password