Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sand bags and tripod hook

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sand bags and tripod hook

I am not a big user of tripods but now I have a nice tripod I am looking to use it. I am wonder how many people use a sand bag or other weight on the tripod hook? Makes a ton of sense to me, I guess one could use the camera bag. I also wonder the people who use how much weight to use?

Thanks
Mike

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sand bags and tripod hook

you want the "bag" to remain on the ground and then use a strap to create the bond between the 2 and load it but not till its in the air.
reason is if your bag is hanging in mid air and can move it changes the loading and moves things ever so slightly. I use my camera bag quite often as the dead weight.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:01 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sand bags and tripod hook

sjms wrote:
you want the "bag" to remain on the ground and then use a strap to create the bond between the 2 and load it but not till its in the air.
reason is if your bag is hanging in mid air and can move it changes the loading and moves things ever so slightly. I use my camera bag quite often as the dead weight.

Great point never thought of that

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:09 AM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sand bags and tripod hook

I never use bags to weigh down my tripod. I always travel light...one camera, one or two lenses, and the lightest bag I can find. Does not leave a lot of weight for stability. In high winds I think it would be a great idea and would defiantly agree with sums that leaving it on the ground would be best. Not sure what the best attachment system would be

A wide strap might start to vibrate in the wind...

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sand bags and tripod hook

godfather wrote:
I never use bags to weigh down my tripod. I always travel light...one camera, one or two lenses, and the lightest bag I can find. Does not leave a lot of weight for stability. In high winds I think it would be a great idea and would defiantly agree with sums that leaving it on the ground would be best. Not sure what the best attachment system would be

I hear ya here maybe a gimmick

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:47 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sand bags and tripod hook

I've used my backpack a few times for that with an adjustable strap to control the distance. As mentioned above, you don't want a freely hanging weight that will sway in the wind.

EBH

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sand bags and tripod hook

godfather wrote:

if that were only true for the entire photographic population. fortunately and unfortunately its not. if you truly wish to increase the aero dynamics of the material 3mm cord will do. as to it singing in the wind you also need to take a more holistic view. yes CF has some dampening qualities but it doesn't dampen the entire assy. there are many other factors on a tripod that are less tolerant of the wind. and that would be like everything else one top. that being the camera and lens that hood (scoop).

if you want a "sandbag" to carry around that is of course your option. a tricorner bag such as this: http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/707201.jpg are options but for me I already have enough in my pack to give it enough heft.

just another thing to carry.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sand bags and tripod hook

godfather wrote:

in a world full of infinite possibilities:

sjms 2012

X10    7mm    f/4.0    1/15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

sjms 2012

X10    7mm    f/4.0    1/15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password