Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Looking for a few critiques

Anselben

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Looking for a few critiques

Wasn't getting any feedback other places, and would really like to know things I can improve for the future. Here are some photos I've taken that I'm happy with, and would like some critiques. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/l7fXD,mC4NM,FkGSr#0
http://imgur.com/l7fXD,mC4NM,FkGSr#1
http://imgur.com/l7fXD,mC4NM,FkGSr#2

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Looking for a few critiques

Took a stab at one.

Mostly some color balance and sharpening ... cleaned up some dust bunnies, levels adjustments.

The other two were kinda hard for me to gage, I think that they are suffering from some compression / uploading effects, so I'll defer to others.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:47 AM
Anselben

p.1 #3 · Looking for a few critiques

That's fantastic, thank you! I knew there was some work I had to do on that image, but couldn't get the original at the moment and just wanted to post. Do you think you could tell me what I could've done better overall or on a certain image?

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Looking for a few critiques

Thanks ... and btw, welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

Overall, I think you've got an eye for composition that shows promise of things to come ... that will carry you a very long way, imo. By & large, the rest become technical (or artistic / aesthetic choices) matters at how to present what you have captured in your vision.

The three images you posted, all seemed soft/fuzzy to me. I'm guessing that is a product of the downsizing / posting processes. It could also be an issue of undersharpening, low contrast / low resolution lenses, or poor processing. Hard for me to say which it is without seeing the original raw/sooc, but just be wary of those factors along the way.

The B&W seems to contrasty to me, but it also looks kinda "infrared", so I'm not sure if it is too contrasty or is supposed to be that way. The flower lacks detail, but that is back to that soft/fuzzy thing, so not much else to say on that at the moment. The one I worked on seemed to suffer mostly from low contrast.

I remember when I first started processing raw from my Canon 1D Series cameras ... they all looked like mush compared to what I had been getting out of my D70s before. The point isn't about the camera per se, but that I had to learn to process the captured image ... otherwise, I was leaving a lot on the table.

We'd all like to think that for the $$$ we spent on our camera, that it will chunk out exactly what we want our pics to be like after we push the button. While most people have long accepted the concept that models don't really have flawless skin, but that "retouching" was used for the final image ... very few give credence to a concerted effort @ post processing (i.e. finishing) as being critical to taking a captured image into a finished product.

It has been a rather rocky road, love/hate relationship for me with regard to learning my PP techniques, etc. but I'm a throwback dinosaur at how I approach learning, cause I always want to understand the theory of why something works and that takes longer to to learn, but my point is that learning about processing the image after you've capture the image can be as important as learning how to capture it.

In the old days, our film selection was responsible for our image's (standard) processed profile. Today, we have infinite options in digital regarding how to profile and process our images. As such, we have more to learn in order to have more to gain ... i.e. love/hate.

Anyway, welcome to FM and the PC forum ... HTH.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Looking for a few critiques

+1 on Kent's comments, I might add that to get better response you need to figure out how to embed the images. I am not familiar with the host you use so I can't help.

The image Kent posted looks pretty good to me, but a bit gritty. I get this sometimes with Topaz sharpening.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Looking for a few critiques

+1 ... it is over-sharpened a bit. I do that sometimes when working off different monitors.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Anselben

p.1 #7 · Looking for a few critiques

Thank you both for your responses.

Rusty, I'll definitely take those things into consideration when editing my photos next time. And you're right, the B&W was shot with infrared film and developed in HC-110 so it's a bit over contrasted naturally. But yeah, I will need to work on my post processing some more!

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:24 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #8 · Looking for a few critiques

Here they are.

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Anselben

p.1 #9 · Looking for a few critiques

Thank you! How do you embed them? Probably should have figured that out before posting..

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:03 AM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #10 · Looking for a few critiques

I'm using Chrome for my web browser. In there I right click the image and select Copy Image URL, then paste it into the forum here (no tags are necessary). Other browsers should have similar functionality, though it may be labeled slightly differently.

The first image is larger than is generally preferred here. When exporting for display on the forum I'll usually choose 1000 pixels for the longer dimension.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Looking for a few critiques

This is one of the few FM forums that allow more than 850 wide. I personally hate showing my stuff at less than 1600, but the internet is still in it's infancy.

Many images change character when downsized so much that the quality you see on a large monitor or print is entirely lost.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:02 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #12 · Looking for a few critiques

RustyBug wrote:
Overall, I think you've got an eye for composition that shows promise of things to come ... that will carry you a very long way, imo.

+1

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password