Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

bayvillian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

Hey all, so I just got a great deal on the mk3 and couldnt pass it up. Im coming from a mark 2 and was wondering what af setting would be best for a indoor party/engagement-session before hand. With the mark 2 I was using center point only.
Thanks

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:56 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

Set it for only using the cross AF points, and fire away. All the points have been reliable for me

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:12 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

There are 4-5 articles from Canon on this page, as well as a 44-page guide to the 1DX & 5DIII AF systems:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryID=12

Definitely worth reading. It is a fairly complex system with a lot of capability.

One thing that many folks are doing differently than with previous cameras, is abandoning Single Shot mode for static subjects and shooting everything in AI Servo.

You can have the camera quickly switch back to a "default" set of AF points with the push of 1 button. So you can use 51, 9, etc. point, then press a button to go to just 1 point.

You can do that too with a whole set of AI Servo functions.

You can also have it automatically switch AF points going from horizontal to vertical.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:27 AM
newmandoyle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

timbop wrote:
Set it for only using the cross AF points, and fire away. All the points have been reliable for me

+1... I set for the Cross Points and enjoy the results of this awesome camera!

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:37 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

There have been a lot of useful posts regarding 5D3 set-up. You should try to check'em out when time permits.

But some quick stuff I like...
-Like Tim mentioned, set the camera to use cross AF points.
-Customize the camera to allow the multi-controller stick to choose AF points.
-The default AF case is a great choice for what you'll be shooting.

It may take you some time to fully trust the outer focus points, but its so nice to be able to compose the shot in the viewfinder as opposed to having to rely on doing it in post by cropping. Enjoy the new camera and post up your impressions when you get a moment.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

You may also want to go in and set the DOF preview button to be a toggle between one shot and servo..

I leave the camera in 1 shot and then just hold down that button when I want servo.

I also have my points set to 15 points... I found the cross type to have "too" many points and it was difficult to go from one side of the frame to the other, quickly.

I also have "expand AF area :: surround" turned on... so if the point I choose can't lock focus it activates the surrounding points.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:11 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

I love moving that joystick around to focus and shoot. Much less focus and recomposing, which can be esp frustrating in low light. Using the dof button for a quick switch to ai servo is also very nice. Not directly related to focus, but I find I am shooting in M mode with auto iso more and more. Make sure to enable live view face detect for when someone less skilled uses your camera to take your picture.

RichardLavigne wrote:
I also have my points set to 15 points... I found the cross type to have "too" many points and it was difficult to go from one side of the frame to the other, quickly.

You can set the AF points to scroll from the left most edge to the right most edge if you keep moving your joystick to the left. But yes, if you have a lot of AF points, it may take you more time than you might like to move around in general.

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 02:34 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:29 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

Set for cross points but I *highly* recommend doing a small test shoot beforehand. My first 5D3 was waaaay off on the side points and I missed some shots that were personally important to me and I cannot retake them. Ever.

I trust my replacement 5D3 completely, though, after thorough (teensy weensy bit paranoid) testing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:34 AM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just got the 5dmk3 af question

After months of tinkering and experimenting with various focusing modes, including chasing bees and butterflies in flight, I find that it's best just to set the AF to all points (default). It works best for all cases, including BIF. For modes, I use AI Servo for action - BIF, one shot for non-action. The only time I do different on is for portrait I'd use single point focus aiming at the eyes.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password