Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Great White Heron

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Great White Heron

Hello everyone,

besides regular critique, I'd like to receive some feedback on how to crop this one:

My preferred version is this one:

This is an alternative:

Suggestions?

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:23 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Great White Heron

Nope. I like the way you cropped the second and last equally.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Great White Heron

Very nice work, yet again.
I prefer the second version. I wonder if it would improve with a bit more top and bottom, then adding cropping less on the right to rebalance. As I think you were thinking, the original is too centered. The second follows the "rule" of placing key subject elements closer to a third and having the bird "look into the frame".
Nice work on the exposure as well.
One other consideration, a matter of taste. I would consider bumping the vibrance of the water. I suspect the image as presented is more realistic in terms of water colors, but I think a bit more drama would work.

Scott

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Great White Heron

Couple format crops @ 4:3 and 1:1

Gave it a flip as well for possible perspective change.

The thing here is that .... you've got a nice capture, so your options for presentation are many, there isn't likely to be a "right" one ... just your preference.

That being said, I think with the strong gaze of the eyes / beak leading us horizontal, I'd stay in landscape or square rather than portrait. Imo, going portrait makes it "portrait" like ... robbing the viewer of the inferred environment associated with an "environmental portrait" ... if that makes any sense.

The third one is simply a reverse (back to original orientation) of the first one (that left vs. right thing that we've debated before), and of course, the obvious drama change.

I find it interesting that I feel the third image (original orientation) has too little negative space (@ left), yet it is the exact same as the first image, which I feel is adequate negative space (@ right). Not sure how much of that is due to the flip, the drama or the frame differences. But, no matter, I guess the salient point is that they all work in conjunction with each others' nuance to induce the visual response from our viewer.

I've added the fourth one for easier left vs. right comparison ... just in case anyone was curious.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Great White Heron

First off, excellent capture. I never got one of these but tried hard for an egret, and had poor luck. White birds are tough to get properly exposed.

I always look for the technical's first which you did well but you also have a great pose, and background. If cropping is all that's left, its a piece of cake. I prefer the third. Birds are one subject I usually prefer in portrait mode.

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:31 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #6 · Great White Heron

Leighton, Scott, Kent and Ben, thanks for the feedback.

I got some "good exposure" comments, but I've got to admit I don't really deserve them... I grossly underexposed this one, I brought it up by 1 and a 1/2 stops in post Got lots of noise to deal with, so it won't really print very well I guess.

Kent, thanks for the 4:3 crop idea, it's perfect. It also solves the lack of balance Scott was talking about. I'm just not comfortable at flipping the image... it seems "wrong" for some reason - perhaps because I was there and know the bird was not positioned that way.

How did you add the 'drama' to the image?

And I also feel the same way about the negative space in both images. Perhaps someone somewhere has a good psychological explanation for that?

So here's how it's looking at the moment:

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Great White Heron

Here's a couple alternatives. I prefer not having much of the reflection in the water, and having a little more space at the top of the frame.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jabberwockt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Great White Heron

I'm a big fan of negative space in photos. I liked the first one the best.

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:41 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Great White Heron

Perhaps some noise reduction for the background, background vibrance boost, mid-tone bump (USB 16, 60, 0), and a wee bit of sharpening:

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:15 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Great White Heron

nicely done Karen
Scott

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:11 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Great White Heron

Thanks, Scott!

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:13 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #12 · Great White Heron

I must agree with Scott, very nice Karen! Thank you!
I'm gonna try to reproduce what you did and it's going to be my final version

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:29 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #13 · Great White Heron

Excellent capture of the thing's "mood". IMO, if he's facing right, I would prefer him to be to the left rather than center, and I like the water details and the reflection as framing more than I like a full crop version. If it were me, I'd even try pasting/layering or content-aware filling to the right. But that's just me.

If he's facing left, I think the Rustybug's second, though I would prefer 4X6 over 4x5.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:55 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #14 · Great White Heron

MarcG19, thanks for the feedback.

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password