Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Compression - Video Tutorials

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Compression - Video Tutorials

I have finished my first of a long list of upcoming Photoshop Video Tutorials.

I am using Camtasia Studio. For about a 1 1/2 hour video I get about a 9-10 gig file. I have used two options for compression and they yield a file about 250 Megs. These videos are available for download online (when people pay me I send them a link).

Since I am not an expert in video software, I am wondering what would be a good or the best way to render these?

I have two main options: recording dimensions (1920x1152) and HD (1280x720). When I choose the recording dimensions the software says: "For best results we recommend using project dimensions of 1280x1024 or smaller."

So far, I have been doing MP4. But there is also AVI and M4v options among others.

I guess I am wanting to be confident that the compression makes the file size manageable for people who receive them (and so far it is) that the format is good for typical video viewing software, and I also don't want to sacrifice quality too much. I doubt many people would know what to do with a 10+ gig AVI file.

Any general suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:19 PM
JimmyStephans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Compression - Video Tutorials

Mark, I would go with the 1280x720P size in MP4.

I run a popular pretty girl website and that size works best for subscribers of my site(s).

Highly unlikely that a serious photographer would still have a monitor set at 1280x1024. No need to be smaller than that.... and even 1280x720 would be fine for them.

I do see you say 250MB for about 90 minutes... thats a LOT of compression.

I would raise that up - maybe as high as a 1000MB (1GB). I have 6 minute clips that size on my sites but we encode as higher rates.

The goal is NOT a fast download. The goal for me, and I assume you, is a quality viewing experience.

Give me your email address by PM and I'll send you a PDF we give to subscribers about MP4 format and software for viewing, etc.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Compression - Video Tutorials

JimmyStephans wrote:
Mark, I would go with the 1280x720P size in MP4.

I run a popular pretty girl website and that size works best for subscribers of my site(s).

Highly unlikely that a serious photographer would still have a monitor set at 1280x1024. No need to be smaller than that.... and even 1280x720 would be fine for them.

I do see you say 250MB for about 90 minutes... thats a LOT of compression.

I would raise that up - maybe as high as a 1000MB (1GB). I have 6 minute clips that size on my sites but we encode as higher rates.

The goal is NOT a
...Show more

Great info! Thank you! I have yet to find out how to customizer the compression. I will figure that out this weekend. Again thank you for the feedback!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM
JimmyStephans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Compression - Video Tutorials

Mark, one thing that came to mind - cropping.

Will 1280x720 cause distortion or cropping?

If you made a screen recording at a certain resolution that may be an issue. I'm curious what the resolution is of the source material.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:36 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Compression - Video Tutorials

JimmyStephans wrote:
Mark, one thing that came to mind - cropping.

Will 1280x720 cause distortion or cropping?

If you made a screen recording at a certain resolution that may be an issue. I'm curious what the resolution is of the source material.

No distortion. If the video is any different aspect ratio, it just creates a boarder (whatever color I want) around it. I think I have figured it out. I just have to see how to control the specific compression so that a balance is struck between quality and file size.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password