Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800 Price Drop rumor

jtharp5695

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Price Drop rumor

This is from Cameraegg.com:

Since Nikon D800/D800E released, there is no price drop on this camera. Recently some rumors said that Nikon will reduce the price of the Nikon D800/D800E in the US on December 15th, 2012. A instant rebate like the D600.

http://www.cameraegg.com/nikon-d800d800e-get-200-off-on-dec-15th/

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:35 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Price Drop rumor

It's so insignificant. I'd call it a price adjustment, not a drop.
Reminds me of when gas goes down a nickle.

6% on the D800E
6.7% on the D800

Was already a non-discussion here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1169655

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:54 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Price Drop rumor

ckcarr wrote:
It's so insignificant. I'd call it a price adjustment, not a drop.
Reminds me of when gas goes down a nickle.

6% on the D800E
6.7% on the D800

Was already a non-discussion here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1169655

6% is a considerable price drop.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM
Diavolo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Price Drop rumor

$200 is pretty significant. I'd like to get to the point in my life where a $200 price drop isn't significant on anything but a car.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Price Drop rumor

In Holland the D800 dropped from ca. 2950 to 2385, about 20%!!
That's what I call a drop.
The D800E from ca. 3150 to 2950, about 7%

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:58 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Price Drop rumor

I wouldn't call $200 a considerable price drop -- its normal for Nikon to drop its price after the first 6 months or so has gone by ... this has traditionally happened with all of their bodies.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Yup screw the early adopters, you know the ones.

They test the firmware, are without cams for long periods because of tech support turnaround.

What price loyalty.....

Rags

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:40 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Rags Hef wrote:

They test the firmware, are without cams for long periods because of tech support turnaround.

What price loyalty.....

Rags

It's not loyalty. It's called locked-in customer base.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Rags Hef wrote:

What price loyalty.....

Rags

Nikon should take a new approach on this.

Announce new camera at 90% of final price but with the expectation that there "may" be bugs that will need to be fixed.

Make bug detection & fixes fast and easy in the first 6 months.

After the first 6 months, the price goes up to 100% value and turn-around time estimates for any fixes needed goes up by 50%

This would motivate the early adopters and limit the amount of "I'm going to wait" buyers as well as the discout expectation.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:02 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Andre Labonte wrote:

Announce new camera at 90% of final price but with the expectation that there "may" be bugs that will need to be fixed.

After the first 6 months, the price goes up to 100% value and turn-around time estimates for any fixes needed goes up by 50%

This would motivate the early adopters and limit the amount of "I'm going to wait" buyers as well as the discout expectation.

That would be fine if you were the only player in town. This will make them all run to the other camp that drops their prices vs increasing them.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

krickett
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Andre Labonte wrote:

From a business perspective: raising prices is very hard, and typically you receive a lashback. Most of the time, to raise a price, you usually have to add a feature (and 'no bugs!' is not a feature) in order to sell it to the public. Additionally, you generally don't want to so say that you are releasing a flawed product.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Agreed

What they could have is a limited edition early adopter coupon with an expiration date for people who have registered product.

That would cut down on complaints (since buyers got consideration), increase sales quickly (if they could be satisfied, especially near the end of the coupon period)

That said; a couple of years ago, Nik raised prices and didn't give a sh**t

Rags

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:46 PM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 Price Drop rumor

They will increase the price again after that. May be a new batch?

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 Price Drop rumor

It sounds weird to me. That will bring the price of the D800 closer to the D600, which according to some is not selling as well as they thought. Well...., I guess they should drop also the price for the D600 even further and we would be all happy

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:39 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 Price Drop rumor

They should just give them away. The world is ending on December 21st anyway. May as well let us record it...

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:34 AM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Well, for people who are using these cameras for income, a couple of hundred dollars is a few hours work, maybe a day. I'm guessing the pro market that needs the D800 is about saturated. Since if they need it they order in advance and don't really care about the price.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:51 AM
zippy_monster
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 Price Drop rumor

EltonTeng wrote:
It's not loyalty. It's called locked-in customer base.

krickett wrote:
From a business perspective: raising prices is very hard, and typically you receive a lashback. Most of the time, to raise a price, you usually have to add a feature (and 'no bugs!' is not a feature) in order to sell it to the public. Additionally, you generally don't want to so say that you are releasing a flawed product.

It's not that hard, especially when your business model is predicated on restricting what your customers can do rather than turning out a quality product. Nikon's jacked up repair costs pretty significantly this year already.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:34 AM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Javier Munoz wrote:
It sounds weird to me. That will bring the price of the D800 closer to the D600, which according to some is not selling as well as they thought. Well...., I guess they should drop also the price for the D600 even further and we would be all happy

My guess it would make the refurbished D800s even more closer to the D600. I was going to get a D600 sometime after the new year, but I think I might see what goes on with the D800 in the next couple months first.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:54 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Wether the hype about 36MP has gone or Nikon fears the upcomming 6D ...
point is the price of the body already went down about 21% (at amazon germany) within the last 9 month. Nikon can feel free, to add some more % to this. D600 shows the same in only 2.5 month right before christmas. As far I can remember I have never seen something like this before. But anyway I guess it is good for all of us.
The lower prise brought D800 back to No 10 again while 5D III fell to 32nd rank (Amazon germany). Before it was the opposite (12/23). Next year FF will be only a bit more pricy than the higher crop cameras and very soon it will be standard I guess.

Ralph

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:12 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 Price Drop rumor

Rags Hef wrote:

What price loyalty.....

Rags

Uh. This is the very nature of being an early adopter.

Prices on goods drop over time. If you are an early adopter, you pay more money for the privilege of using it before everyone else. Is it shocking to you that technology prices drop after the initial release?

This isn't Nikon screwing you. This is you making a conscious decision to purchase a product on or around release day, with the knowledge that it will cost less money 6 months later. If you weren't aware of that, don't blame Nikon: it's the way virtually all markets work.

If a product is half-baked or poorly serviced, that has nothing to do with the pricing issue. Products should be finished and serviced well no matter what.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password