FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Red Ring

Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red Ring

Possibly my favorite waterfall in Slovenia, though it has not always been nice to me. I've been trying to photograph it for several years now, and it always seems to have some new way of thwarting my efforts. Once it even turned out to be completely dry, aside from a little trickle running down the rocks and a puddle at the bottom with some very unfortunate trouts trapped in it. So you can imagine how excited I was to get these conditions--and, at long last, a photo that I'm willing to share.

Thanks for looking! Comments make the world go 'round.

http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/RedRing.jpg

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:10 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red Ring

Worth holding out for, I'd say. I really like views of waterfalls that include and show off the surrounding context, as often that is a key part of the experience of a waterfall. This shot does that really nicely, especially with the emphasis of the ring around the edge of the pool. Really nice image.

Dave

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:00 AM
brnord
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red Ring

Well, I'd say it was nice to you on this day - very nice shot.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:41 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red Ring

Lovely shot!

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red Ring

Beautiful, Phrasikleia.

Cheers,
Ed

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red Ring

Beautiful! What a great shot! The colors, the lighting the comp are all great! nicely done!

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red Ring

Thanks for the comments! Dave, I agree, especially with this particular waterfall that has a rather unusual setting. I can't think of too many falls that drop into a clear green pool with a 'beach' of limestone around it. That to me is what makes this one special.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:46 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red Ring

Worth the wait, I'd say. I too have several location to where I return, waiting for that perfect moment. The only difference is that I'm still waiting

Thanks for sharing,

Eric

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Ed Porter
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red Ring

Excellent image!! Very well done!

Ed

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Red Ring

Beautiful shot.

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:35 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Red Ring

Very good job here. It was definitely worth the effort and the work by you to finally capture it.

Jim

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:17 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Red Ring

Excellent location. I like the image much more without the foreground. You have some awesome autumn colours in the trees and for me that's where the image has its strength.
Ute

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:20 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Red Ring

Interesting perspective, Ute, thanks for sharing it. I'm not nearly as fond of my shots from that day that don't include the red ring. Other elements weren't offering nearly as much in the way of 'foreground interest' and leading lines for me. But yeah, the colors were terrific that day, especially set against the green hues of the pool of water (which is not always so large when the autumn foliage is peaking).

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:24 AM
Douglas_Bush
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Red Ring

This was well worth your persistence! This is a gorgeous location and the fact that I'm not real familiar with Slovenia inspires my curiosity even further. Have you considered darkening the bottom left corner? It might help guide the eye toward the waterfall a bit more but I'm not positive. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:02 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Red Ring

love the composition and the colours!

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Red Ring

Douglas_Bush wrote:
This was well worth your persistence! This is a gorgeous location and the fact that I'm not real familiar with Slovenia inspires my curiosity even further. Have you considered darkening the bottom left corner? It might help guide the eye toward the waterfall a bit more but I'm not positive. Thanks for sharing.

It's funny you should mention that corner. The last thing I did before resizing this one for the web was remove some of the burning I did in that very corner. I thought I had gone too far with it, so I dialed it back. Then I added my watermark with some white behind it to help the watermark stand out more, which had the unintended consequence of making the corner look brighter still. I really appreciate the comment and will revisit my web version of this one and maybe the print version as well.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:32 AM
teuchter

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Red Ring

Does the waterfall have a name?

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Red Ring

teuchter wrote:
Does the waterfall have a name?

I think the locals would prefer that I exercise prudence with this one, so I probably should not broadcast information about the location right in a public forum thread. If you sent me a private message, I will be happy to tell you more about it that way.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.