New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Horses at Sunset

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horses at Sunset

Hello everyone,

So with this picture I have the opposite problem I had with the "Plenty of Birds" one: I don't really like it that much, however people respond really well to it.

So, I'd really appreciate feedback on two specific points:
1) Does it work at all for you?
2) What would be a possible explanation for me not liking it, while a lot of other people like it? (maybe getting an answer here would be asking too much? )

Obviously, other kinds of critique/feedback are really welcome.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horses at Sunset

This is a type I have seen before, large sun (probably telephoto shot) backlit subjects. As to the style, I can see no problems. As to liking the style, I have seen a number of other styles I like less, but this is not one of my favorites.

But my photography taste is extremely narrow, so you need to discount what I like or don't like.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horses at Sunset

I think it's great.
++++ Distinct outlines of the horses with the golden glow.
++++ Golden color and exposure
- Sun almost centered but not quite. Clearly off-set or smack-dab in the center might have been a tiny bit better. Hard to say.

Really hard to find much to complain about. You might want to try decreasing the contrast of the background behind the horses a little bit to really make the horses jump off the print and give it a more 3D effect.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horses at Sunset

I'm with Eyeball.
Its a beauty.
Done before? Yes but what hasnt.
This is done very well.
Scott

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horses at Sunset

Ben, Eyeball, Scott, thanks for the feedback.

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horses at Sunset

Much of photography is about light. The reason folks like it is probably because the light is glorious. There are some composition issues such as the placement of the essential horizon and the positioning of the horse on the left, relative to the frame edge and sun position that may be what reduces your feelings for the image. Re-cropping can help some if that's the issue. Also, as suggested, changing the contrast to lighten the background and darken the foreground may also help the visual message.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:05 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horses at Sunset

AuntiPode, thanks for your comments, you might be exactly right - it could be the light drawing other people's attention.

Alright, I've changed the lighting somewhat so the horses will be more in evidence against the background (added some gradient exposure towards both right and left) and also changed the crop a little bit, what do you think?

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:17 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horses at Sunset

Crop is a loaded and sometimes confusing term. It can mean make smaller, but it can refer to how the original frame is reduced and proportioned. For this image, by "crop", I don't mean trim it more and make it more tightly composed. Crop in this case means how you reduced the full original frame to the presented image. More of the original frame would allow a better balanced view.

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:22 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horses at Sunset

This is basically the full image frame. Perhaps I should leave it like this, or just crop a little bit from the top? I don't know why, but it's like my brain has been 'disabled' with this image, I definitely can't make my mind on absolutely any crop I come up with (anyone ever had this problem with any image?)

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:56 AM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horses at Sunset

Gneto, first I'd like to say you captured an amazing image. I love silhouette captures, don't really know why.
I really just wanted to add a +1 on getting stuck with a proper crop. Many times I'll find myself cropping and re-cropping a picture 100 times not positive which looks better then the rest.

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:15 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Horses at Sunset

gneto,

FWIW, I really like your full-frame image. The extra information at the bottom provides two pluses for me:
- It tells more of the story since the horses seem to be on an island or crossing a passage between two bodies of water. Helps explain why they are walking more-or-less single file.
- Adds to the "layer effect" of the image.

The normal rule is to avoid putting the horizon centered vertically in the frame but I would ignore that rule in this case, again for two reasons:
- There are multiple "horizons" here so I think the fact that only one of them is halfway down the frame prevents the image from appearing static. Where the horses are standing, for example, is located at roughly a "rule-of-thirds" distance from the bottom of the frame.
- I really like that there is a significant amount of space dedicated to the sky gradient and sun. It provides a nice contrast in terms of color, brightness, and smooth vs. detailed.

Good job and well seen.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Horses at Sunset

+1 for Eyball's comments. I like this version best.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Horses at Sunset

Bingo @ Eyeball re: the foreground water now makes the image make more sense.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:25 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Horses at Sunset

AuntiPode, Ben, Eyeball, Scott, Nickyb21, RustyBug: thank you all for the kind comments and invaluable feedback. I'm gonna stick with this final version.

The funny thing is... after all these posts, I now do - somehow - like the image a lot more. I guess I just became "attached" to it due to the memories it brings of this forum thread

Thank you all. In the end, I think it really was about the light, like AuntiPode brilliantly (pun intended!) pointed out

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Horses at Sunset

I really like the full frame version as well, really puts the horses in context. It's the lighting that draws me in to this picture, the horses just look all warm and happy, almost like they're on their last stroll for the evening before lying down to sleep.

Jo

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:28 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Horses at Sunset

Jo, thank you very much for the feedback.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.