Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Some recent Conversions

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Some recent Conversions

Decided to add a couple more to this post of some of my recent stuff that I've tried converting to B&W and Duotone. Comments welcome!

The last is an excellent example of how something I think turned out really well is roundly rejected by others

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Erupting Gerber(a)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Vase of Gerber(a)'s

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    73mm    f/9.0    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Katie

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/8.0    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Coffee Awakening

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/9.0    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 08:13 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:23 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Some recent Conversions

Nicely done in mono Greg! You have such an eye for these!
Douglas

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:17 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Some recent Conversions

douter wrote:
Nicely done in mono Greg! You have such an eye for these!
Douglas

Thanks Douglas! Hope you had a fine Thanksgiving!

Greg

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:36 PM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Some recent Conversions

Love the lighting and detail on this one Greg.
I believe it's spelled Gerbera.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:49 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Some recent Conversions

mrchile wrote:
Love the lighting and detail on this one Greg.
I believe it's spelled Gerbera.

Thanks John. You will have to argue with Karl Witt about the spelling...

Greg

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:38 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Some recent Conversions

Very nice set, Greg.
The second is my favorite. What an interesting vase.
The last one works well but I will not touch the cup as I'm never getting it back in place.
Chris

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Some recent Conversions

CDaescher wrote:
Very nice set, Greg.
The second is my favorite. What an interesting vase.
The last one works well but I will not touch the cup as I'm never getting it back in place.
Chris

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate that! And that vase...seems to be magical, because I shot it last week and those three Gerber's are still going strong, while the rest of the bunch wilted days ago! Perhaps it's the minerals in the metal. I have heard that if you place a copper coin in the water of a vase of tulips, they will last longer....

Greg

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:27 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Some recent Conversions

Very nice stuff but is the girl laughing at you or crying because you made her "hold still"?

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:52 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Some recent Conversions

I like the second one, Greg, although I think it could actually benefit from centering.

T

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:23 PM
GFountain
• •
p.1 #10 · Some recent Conversions

All very nice Greg but #2 is the stand out for me. Nicely done.

Greg

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Some recent Conversions

Greg,
I can see how nits can be picked with all of these, but any of them being "roundly rejected" is uncalled for.
Perhaps it's the anonymity of the internet that contributes to the proliferation of rudeness.
Summary: I like the first three images, but almost never like duotone- of any sort. But that's 100% subjective, and therefore of no meaning except to me.
My nits:
#1. The shortness of the stem bothers me a little.
#2. The size of that exquisite vase overpowers the relatively small bunch of flowers.
#3. A pretty girl with what is probably a nice smile- it's just that the shutter was probably clicked at an awkward moment. In real life, we don't see "frozen" laughs.
#4. Duotone is a very specialized form of processing and some people don't like it. That said, my nit here is that I think the crop is too tight everywhere except the top- where I'd prefer much more crop. But on the subject of "tight cropping," you and I have agreed to disagree .
Charlie

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:23 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Some recent Conversions

williamkazak wrote:
Very nice stuff but is the girl laughing at you or crying because you made her "hold still"?

WIlliam! She is smiling! But I had to crack jokes and have her parents contribute. We would do that and I would fire off some shots to go along with the more "serious" portraits. Thanks!

Greg

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:19 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Some recent Conversions

T-bone1 wrote:
I like the second one, Greg, although I think it could actually benefit from centering.

T

Thanks Tim. I tried it centered and lost the light fall, so I went back to the off-center crop....

Greg

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:21 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Some recent Conversions

GFountain wrote:
All very nice Greg but #2 is the stand out for me. Nicely done.

Greg

Thanks Greg!

Greg

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:22 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Some recent Conversions

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Greg,
I can see how nits can be picked with all of these, but any of them being "roundly rejected" is uncalled for.
Perhaps it's the anonymity of the internet that contributes to the proliferation of rudeness.
Summary: I like the first three images, but almost never like duotone- of any sort. But that's 100% subjective, and therefore of no meaning except to me.
My nits:
#1. The shortness of the stem bothers me a little.
#2. The size of that exquisite vase overpowers the relatively small bunch of flowers.
#3. A pretty girl with what is probably a nice smile- it's just that the shutter
...Show more

Thanks Charlie. Actually it was the color version of the coffee shot that has been rejected. No worries though. I see the WA as an exercise in creativity, not a judgement of my abilities.

#1 - I wanted the flower to be the subject, and a tight enough crop to reveal the detail. I guess the stem was just the victim of those ideas....

As for #2 - proportion is subjective I suppose. I struggle with it most of the time, but in this case, well, the agree to disagree thing... What I was looking at was the curvatures of the stems...

#3 - it's just one of those goofy shots. I shot about 100 images of her, differentr backgrounds, different outfits, and the toughest thing to do was get her to smile. Her's is just like her father's smile, who I went to high school with. Anyway, because of that, I was joking around and had her parents do the same, all in a effort to get her to laugh. This is one of those shots....btw, her parents absolutely love this shot!

You are right about the annonimity of the internet and the lack of manners. I struggle with how I communicate all the time, and I never try to insult, so when someone goes out of their way, it seems pretty obvious to me. But, like any place else, there will always be trolls, and FM has more than it's fair share. Want to see them? Just go to the people forum and suggest a NSFW tag on an image. The 14 year olds will come out of the woodwork!

Greg

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:32 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Some recent Conversions

gregfountain wrote:
WIlliam! She is smiling! But I had to crack jokes and have her parents contribute. We would do that and I would fire off some shots to go along with the more "serious" portraits. Thanks!

Greg

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:24 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Some recent Conversions

Greg:
I like the way you shortened the stems in the daisies in vase photo. I think it helped the comp quite a bit.
Douglas

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:44 AM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Some recent Conversions

gregfountain wrote:
Thanks John. You will have to argue with Karl Witt about the spelling...

Greg

No idea who Karl Witt is, but it most definitely is Gerbera Daisy, named after a German botanist named Gerber.

Your conversions are lovely, but I'm sorry you resent having done them. This is supposed to be fun.
Unless of course you meant to write Recent.

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:19 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Some recent Conversions

Very nice set. I like the second shot best

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password