Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gym Strobe question

Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gym Strobe question

Ok guys, I've tried to research this on this forum & others, via email to Novatron but have batted a big zero... Last summer I stumbled on a great deal on a set of Novatron M500's, so I bought them. I have a youth sport T&I business and use them there. However, I was wondering if they could be used for gym strobes (I currently use Lumedynes). I could not find anything anywhere on flash duration so, I don't know if these'll work. Does anyone know if these will work

Thanks,

Ralph

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:57 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Gym Strobe question

BH mentions that the flash duration is not specified by the manufacturer. I'm gonna say it's at best 50/50, but if your current lighting situation is atrocious, why not give it a go.

Unfortunately, there isn't a cheap way to test flash duration. Broncolor has a meter of sorts that also measures duration. You could make a DIY test, if you have something to compare it to, say a hotshoe flash. If you could get something to rotate or spin at a constant rate, then shot a picture of it with a hotshoe flash with a known speed at a certain power level, then shot the same picture with the m500s, you could compare if its faster or slower.

To be honest though, some of the higher powered lights, Elinchrom 600s, have t.5s of 1/2050th and t.1s of 1/700th. Einsteins are, in this regard, amazing because of their IGBT circuitry. But even they are not as fast as the Elinchrom at full power (at anything below though, they kill the competition).

My point? if full power Elinchroms blur up, then your chances go from 50/50 to slim.

Just my thoughts.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:27 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #3 · Gym Strobe question

Here's what I found on Adorama's website. It has the Tech specs and overview for your Novatron's. Hope it helps.

http://www.adorama.com/NT500M.html

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gym Strobe question

Thanks Jerry, but still no flash duration...

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Gym Strobe question

I'm usually pretty good at finding specs buried in google, but this one does seem fairly elusive.

I found several complaints about motion blur with the M500.

Here's a 2004 thread that estimates 1/125" after testing...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/132627/0&year=2004#1082970

Might be ideally suited for hypersync (SS faster than xsync with triggers to use the slow-duration decay curve like an HSS pulse).

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:10 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #6 · Gym Strobe question

might be a good chance to test out the new yongnuo 622 triggers

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #7 · Gym Strobe question

All,

Thanks for checking this out! It looks like I'm just going to have to test these out to see if they'll work. I use lumedynes currently but they are a battery powered unit. My Novatrons are AC powered.... Was just curious to see if they would work which would help shooting tournaments this winter (Lumedyne batteries are the limiting factor)...

Ralph

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password