New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

wicked-d

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

Hello, I shoot product images almost daily, and I usually shoot a variety of apertures to get differing depth of field.

I would love to be able to simply hit the shoot button once and have the camera automatically vary the aperture from say, 2.8, 8 and 22 and take a shot with each aperture. So, just like bracketing, but varying the aperture.

I can find no way to do this, but I assume there are many people who shoot products and would require a similar work flow, surely this can be done? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:50 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

I believe Magic Lantern supports this.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

I'm not aware of any Canon body that supports "aperture bracketing", though I've never owned a 1 series DSLR. Perhaps there is a 3rd party remote/tethered controller that can support such a thing. I do think it is a good idea though. I believe there are 3rd party remote controllers that can "focus bracket".

Wes N.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

If you vary aperture then you must adjust either ss or ISO which would introduce other issues such as motion or noise. If you want the best results shouldn't you leave the exposure parameters alone and use live view to focus at different point over several images? You can then use a program like Helicon Focus to combine them.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

Focus bracketing is what you want, not aperture bracketing.

Magic Lentern has it, and there is a pc based software called Helicon that does it as well.

There may be some smart phone aps, but I don't specifically know of any.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

I shoot on a tripod, so I manually vary the aperture (I shoot aperture priority) and let the camera adjust the exposure accordingly. I do not understand why bracketing for aperture is not a stock standard feature on all Pro/Semi-Pro cameras.

RE Magic Lantern, I can not find where it says it features this option and it seems to be a LOAD AT OWN RISK option which I am not comfortable with to be honest. But thanks for the info just the same.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

You can then use a program like Helicon Focus to combine them.

That is not what the OP wants. I’ve manually “aperture bracketed”, what the OP wants is an automatic “aperture bracket” with a single press of the shutter.

Wes N.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

Bang on Wes N.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

I simply shoot three different apertures, and then choose later which I will use for my needs. I do not combine anything, simply a matter of choosing at a later date, which depth of field looks right.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

wicked-d wrote:
RE Magic Lantern, I can not find where it says it features this option and it seems to be a LOAD AT OWN RISK option which I am not comfortable with to be honest. But thanks for the info just the same.

Here you go: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3113.0

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

WesN wrote:
That is not what the OP wants. I’ve manually “aperture bracketed”, what the OP wants is an automatic “aperture bracket” with a single press of the shutter.

Wes N.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

snapsy wrote:
Here you go: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3113.0

Thank you, it does in fact seem like it does do what I want, just have to get past the 'risk' factor....

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

I would like semi-automatic focus bracketing before I'd have much use for aperture bracketing.

An option to set 3 or 5 focus distances and then click the shutter once to have the camera shoot them as quckly as it can.

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

wicked-d wrote:
Hello, I shoot product images almost daily, and I usually shoot a variety of apertures to get differing depth of field.

I would love to be able to simply hit the shoot button once and have the camera automatically vary the aperture from say, 2.8, 8 and 22 and take a shot with each aperture. So, just like bracketing, but varying the aperture.

I can find no way to do this, but I assume there are many people who shoot products and would require a similar work flow, surely this can be done? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I understand what you are asking for, but I'm confused as to why you would do this or what you are trying to accomplish with this technique.

Dan

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

Another "way" to get the DOF you want, is to buy in TS-e lenses. Sure there are compromises, but so does stacking.

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:53 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

gdanmitchell wrote:
I understand what you are asking for, but I'm confused as to why you would do this or what you are trying to accomplish with this technique.
Dan

Dan, I shoot products for my web site, but I prefer a stylised shot at times rather than an 'all in focus' shot, but depending on what I am going for, I may like a shallow depth of field or a really shallow depth of field.

Some examples of the shooting I do is here: click here

The above are fairly standard, but when I want the varying depth, it is for a result such as the banner graphic on this page: click here

The above shot was taken three times at f4, f8 and f16, and I choose which I want to use later....

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:47 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

If you are in Tv mode and bracket isnt it the aperture that gets changed?

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:04 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

RobDickinson wrote:

If you manually fix the ISO then yes - otherwise it can change aperture and/or ISO.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM
wicked-d

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

RobDickinson wrote:

Yes, but with a fixed shutter speed.....

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D MkII Bracketing for Depth of Field

Ah true you will modify the exposure.

Perhaps if the lighting is constant you can record the same values to C1-3 apart from e4xposure/aperture and shoot one of each?

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.