Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

In the past few months, I've noticed some of my images disappearing in my Aperture library, thumbnails replaced with a triangle with an exclamation mark in it - attempting to view the image gives me "Unsupported image format" message.

After some reading, I was alarmed that the consensus seemed to be that I likely had a RAM or HDD problem that was corrupting my images, and that I wouldn't be able to save them if I didn't have previous backups.

Also thinking I might switch over to Lightroom (unrelated motivation), and LR also displays an error message with these particular images.

I use an iMac and reference the files in the same folder structure I've been using for years, since before I used a Mac or Aperture or even a digital camera.

The problem images are all RAW images shot on various Nikons.

However - I tried ViewNX software for the first time last night and so far the software can view 100% of these images (from the same folder that Aperture and LR are looking at) and successfully convert them to JPG's, which can then be read by Aperture without issue.

What might be going on, and what's the best way for me to fix it?

Thanks for reading!

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:28 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

I would backup all your images to an external hard drive before anymore get corrupted. The ones that are corrupted that the Nikon software can deal with, I would convert to TIFFs and save them to the backup drive too.

Brian A

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

Well, I do have several backups. But the computer is not exhibiting any other issues and I'd like to understand what might be causing this. And how it is that Nikon's software reads the files as well as all the other RAW files, but Aperture and LR cannot, even though they were originally successfully imported into Aperture.

I'd also prefer not to lose any RAW data, am always hoping that someday my PP skills will be far above what they are now and I'll revisit images, but a top quality JPEG is certainly preferable to losing an image entirely!

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:42 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

workerdrone wrote:
I'd also prefer not to lose any RAW data, am always hoping that someday my PP skills will be far above what they are now and I'll revisit images, but a top quality JPEG is certainly preferable to losing an image entirely!

And a lossless format, such as TIFF, will be a better safeguard than a jpeg.

Sorry, I can't be of any help on the causes, but file corruptions that leave one piece of software capable of reading and another not, aren't that uncommon.

Brian A

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

I'm able to successfully convert to TIFFs as well - wow those are big - 72mb from my D700 files. And doing some work on a RAW image vs a TIFF it seemed I had more room to adjust things on the RAW version.

Any suggestions on software which might allow me to re-validate the RAWs somehow? Or maybe take them from lossless compressed to full RAW version? Just thinking aloud here

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

I would try this. Copy all the corrupted files to an external drive and make sure the nikon sw can open them. Then delete the corrupted versions in the original locations. Then try to have Aperture or LR catalog the files on the external drive and see if they are still corrupted. If they are, I would get them opened with the nikon sw and convert to DNG if that is possible using the nikon sw. That is a file that saves all the raw data.

If it were my situation and these files were not corrupted from the outset, I would check my ram first and then my HD as one of them is probably at fault (I would guess ram). I would then either replace the ram or the drive or the computer. This is never a good thing so I would prepare for the worst right now and insure all back-ups are okay.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

ViewNX might be displaying only the built-in thumbnails rather than doing a full file conversion, in which case the files may still be corrupted. Forcing a conversion to a whole new format is what really tests the readability of the raw file.

Get hold of Diglloyd tools for about $30 or so and run the IntegrityChecker program on all of your images. It creates and stores a list of MD5 verification codes that can be compared with the file contents at a later time (such as after copying to a new drive) to determine whether or not the file has been changed.

Also get hold of ImageVerifier which uses the free Adobe DNG converter to determine which of your files are obviously too corrupted to be used (but it does not actually store the converted files). It won't identify subtle errors where a pixel has changed colour but it finds those that make the image file look not like an image file.

Both of these applications do no harm to your images.

When in any doubt about a hard drive, replace it as soon as possible. It will only get worse.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:58 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

Alan321 wrote:
When in any doubt about a hard drive, replace it as soon as possible. It will only get worse.

- Alan

This. Seriously, how much is a hard disc these days?

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:35 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unsupported image format - images getting corrupted?

Thanks - good suggestions, I am doubting I have a HDD problem however. No other issues with the computer and somehow it is only D700 RAW files being affected (I was incorrect in initial statement that it was on various Nikons, sorry). All other image types and camera files seem to be OK.

And 99% of the D700 RAWs are still fine, so it's not like Aperture lost the ability to translate those.

I will test RAM and HDD regardless and look into more conversions and the software suggestions.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.