New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which way to go?

moresnowdays

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which way to go?

Basically I currently have a D5100 with kit lens, and a D7000 with 35mm 1.8.

I wanted to sell this all off, and pick up an OMD and the Pannasonic 12-35mm 2.8 lens. Then some primes like the 45 and 75 1.8 lenses down the road.

Then came along the XE1, and kit 18-55. Looks awsome, but I don't think I'm ready to go totally that way yet. Raw issues, slow focus among a few other little things. I really like it, and the quality of the lenses is supposed to be great. I think I need to wait and see on this one for a little while longer though.

I want a two camera set up as back up, for shooting weddings, protraits and nature. Right now I don't know if I can swing the funds for it all yet, and I'm torn on if I should keep the D7000. One moment I think I should keep it for the speed, the next I'm thinking I should let it go because I have not always found the AF to be as accurate as I wish it could be. They say that the CDAF of something like the OMD would be more accurate, even if it isn't quiet as fast. Ofcourse the D7000 would track in CAF better, but I don't seem to use it much. To be honest I'm not sure that I really need fast AF as much as accurate. It might really be a case that I'm nervous letting go of a good DSLR, for a mirrorless 4/3rd cam, even though reviews seem to indicate it may be a better fit for me.

On the other hand, if I sell the D7000 for the OMD, then all my lenses would have VR. I think I would like that. It would also be more affordable I think to get the faster m4/3 primes like the 45 1.8 and 25 1.4. I like the prime lenses on the D7000, but there is no VR with them.

I guess the question is would the D7000 be a good compliment to the OMD, or is there really to much overlap in what they can do? Thinking that the OMD has some edge on the D7000 with the in body stabilization that works great, is there really a point to D7000 and a couple or primes?

Maybe the OMD and a XE1 are a better compliment to each other? My other choice might be an OMD with one of the other Oly Pen cameras like the EPL5 as back up. Then they can share lenses and flash at least, and both would have some stabilization.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which way to go?

Rent first and take the guess-work out of your decision. http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/micro-four-thirds/cameras

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:03 PM
moresnowdays

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which way to go?

I thought about renting. Wish I lived in a more populated area at times, no camera stores near by.

I went to that site and threw the XE1, OMD and a few lenses in the cart to try. Looks like it would cost around $300 for a few days. It would be great, but seems like an expensive way to do it. At least if you figure that's probably about as much as I might lose if I just bought the OMD and sold it later if it didn't work out.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which way to go?

I would sit tight for another six weeks. Nikon is likely releasing another camera or two in January. I have zero problems shooting a D300 and D5100 in the dark (I'm a night shooter) using the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8. It let's a lot of light in for great focus capability. If I regularly did weddings, I'd consider this lens a "must have."

Kent in SD

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:00 PM
moresnowdays

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which way to go?

I've done my last two weddings with the 17-55mm on my D7000. Great lens no doubt, just sold it as part of my drive to move to OMD. Now comes the cold feet.

My thought was I could replace the 17-55 with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8. Sounds from reviews to be as good, and with the OMD I pick up a lighter package with great stabilization.

My thought is that the stabilization might be a big benefit during the ceremony. Everyone is holding nice and still at this point, and in darker churches I'm hoping the IBIS will let me drop the ISO and shutter speed for cleaner results.

Also, I know IBIS doesn't doing anything for motion blur, but maybe it will help my poor holding when moving to quickly myself to get a in the moment shot.

While I can shoot an entire wedding day practically with the 17-55mm, the 45mm 1.8 sounds great for protraits. Anyone care to comment how that might be compared to the 85mm 1.8 on a Nikon? I didn't care for mine on the D7000 when I had it. Might have been a bad copy though.

Oly's fast primes sound great with the lighter OMD for receptions to. Higher ISO's seem to be the same as the D7000 at least, so no lose there.

I'm going off of what I can find and read admittedly, with no way to see an OMD in the flesh with out buying or renting. Might try renting the OMD and a couple of lenses, just hate spending money that could be going toward the purchase.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:29 PM
moresnowdays

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which way to go?

Speaking of letting the light in with fast aperture. I was playing around with the D7000 tonight with the 35mm at 1.8. Still seems like to often the focus is fast, but not dead on. Maybe I go for the eyes to frequently when trying to catch focus. When it's on it is incredible, but to many not quiet on shots for me. Hoping CDAF will be more precise, even if a little slower to get there.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:33 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which way to go?

moresnowdays wrote:
I thought about renting. Wish I lived in a more populated area at times, no camera stores near by.

lensrentals.com works by shipping the rental UPS/Fedex so it doesn't matter where you are.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:54 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which way to go?

moresnowdays wrote:

I went to that site and threw the XE1, OMD and a few lenses in the cart to try. Looks like it would cost around $300 for a few days. It would be great, but seems like an expensive way to do it. At least if you figure that's probably about as much as I might lose if I just bought the OMD and sold it later if it didn't work out.

At least it's a fixed cost. You can't say with any certainty how much selling buying selling and rebuying may end up costing you.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which way to go?

Buy amazon and return one.

If you need shallow dof Fuji better. If you don't care go OMD. It's a better camera.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.