Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

I recently picked up a mint Nikon D800 off of the buy/sell here on FM. It appears prices on used D800's continue to drop. Several have been sold in the $2400 range. For all that this camera offers at these prices it appears to be a great "value" when compared to new D600 prices and even used D700's that continue to sell in the $1500 range.

Jack

Shot below is Nikon D800 and Zeiss 21 2.8

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

If you are using these cameras and the left af issue doesn't impact your shooting. And you don't care for resale value of these products, then the D800 at 2400 or near that is probably the best buy in FF cameras. I would pick it over the D600 everytime.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

vchowdhary wrote:
If you are using these cameras and the left af issue doesn't impact your shooting

I think that the scare on the left AF issue while real is overblown. Nikon has acknowledged the problem and has a fix for it. Even if you are not the original owner I believe they are repairing the issue at no cost. Therefore it should no impact on value or use.

Jack

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

allstarimaging wrote:
I think that the scare on the left AF issue while real is overblown. Nikon has acknowledged the problem and has a fix for it. Even if you are not the original owner I believe they are repairing the issue at no cost. Therefore it should no impact on value or use.
Jack

It affected a significant number of bodies (>30% by some estimates) and for a while Nikon wasn't have much success in resolving the issue for bodies being sent in. Plus Nikon USA doesn't usually issue a shipping label so it's $30-$50 to send a body in with insurance. I sent mine in and luckily it was fixed on the first attempt.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

With many refurbs that will likely hit the market after the holidays, the used D800 prices will also likely continue to drop even below $2K market in the next few months. If you're a value-hunger, patience will pay.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

My d800 was fixed first time in and Nikon paid for shipping.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Bruce Sawle wrote:
My d800 was fixed first time in and Nikon paid for shipping.

Nikon paid for the round-trip?

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:10 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Nikon paid for round-trip shipping for my two D800s - from Washington state to the Melville NY repair center. This was a little over a month ago. Both cameras were fixed. I love the D800, despite the initial AF issues.
Keith W.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:33 PM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

My good friend bought his D800 used sent it to Melville and they repaired left focus no questions asked. Nikon has stepped up on this one to fix the problem and anyone who has a D800 should probably send it in before the one year is up for a check. In the meantime with what this camera can deliver under $2500 sure seems attractive.

Jack

Nov 27, 2012 at 02:12 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

To the OP's question, yes D800 sure seems a great value at $2500 when the D600 and 700 are selling for what they are.

And especially considering what 36mp would have cost you last year

But I'd still expect to lose $ on it. I could sell mine used for what I paid for it new right now (got a deal), but I won't. I can see this body keeping me happy for years to come. Have a D800 and D7000 since they share batteries, are great values for the capability, and complement each other well.

Would love to pick up another D700 someday but not at these prices.

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:35 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Sold mine for $2850, now making images with a D600

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Seems to me if you need the pixels, a used D800 may be attractive...especially since it appears Nikon has finally learned to fix the left-AF issue correctly. Otherwise, the D600 is likely the better choice for most people looking for an FX solution in most circumstances.

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:59 PM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

workerdrone wrote:
But I'd still expect to lose $ on it. I could sell mine used for what I paid for it new right now (got a deal), but I won't. I can see this body keeping me happy for years to come. Have a D800 and D7000 since they share batteries, are great values for the capability, and complement each other well.

No doubt the value of these bodies will continue to decline overtime but I'm looking at my D800 and thinking this may finally be the last camera I buy for a long time. Huge resolution, fast response and fast auto focus, great build and ergonomics, awesome dynamic range, etc. I really can't think of anything that would make me change bodies. Nikon and Canon are going to reach the point where the upgrade cycle ends and and they will need to deliver more for less. We may finally be a that point.
Jack

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:30 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

ah, so the D900 with built in wifi, gps, and radio trigger, eye tracking AF with f1.2 lenses, auto fine-tune, backlit buttons, noiseless 25,600iso, 9fps, 1080p/240fps video and selectable mp won't tempt you eh?

grass is always greener

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 06:52 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Speaking for the 'silent majority' w/no issues whatsoever...the D800 totally rocks. Makin' me money,
can crop like a 'monkey AND print LARGE, hardly ever miss a shot...in any light/degree of difficulty.
To me, it's value with a freakin' V, Jack...just sayin'

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:50 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Eh. This is a tough question.

$100 P&S vs. Old School Film: Convenient, but not really an improvement. Good luck with ISO 200.
+$400 for a m4/3 camera - gets you access to a bunch of lenses, fast primes, and good until ISO800. much better shutter response. Nice value there!
+$500 to an Olympus OM-D - gets you some more dynamic range... eh, not at double the price.
+$0 to a D7000 - cutting edge dynamic range, healthy resolution, good FPS, good shutter response, decent AF. Nice value there!
+$1000 to a D600 - access to full frame lenses. same DR. a step up in High-ISO. Sell your firstborn child to upgrade your entire lens lineup to FX, get a new tripod to handle the weight, a new bag to hold your volumous gear, pay your chiropractor for your broken back. pay your psychologist to smooth to smooth out your financially strained marriage. Value? Eh. Ok I guess.
+$1000 to a D800 - more MP. 'Pro' functions. Buy new glasses because you messed up your eyes pixel peeping. Value? PRICELESS.

In all honestly, most people don't need a D800. It's a luxury item.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:29 PM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

I just traded my D600 in for a D800, and I disagree with the bulk/volume argument against the D800. It's marginally bigger than the D600 but, for me, more comfortable to hold. Plus, I was using FF capable glass on my former D7000 (and the high quality DX glass is very nearly as big/heavy anyway).

The small increase in size/weight is negligible, IMHO, in the context of the additional weight of three or four lenses. 140 grams is really not that big a deal in the setting of carrying a DSLR setup.

Moving down to micro 4/3rds would be an actual important size/weight change, but the IQ difference, I suspect, is substantial also.

dc

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

mshi wrote:
Nikon paid for the round-trip?

Yep round trip.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:30 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

Bruce, did you call them first? I saw a form to fill in in Nikon USA site, but nothing about who pays the shipping.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Used D800 is a great value or not?

I'm just holding out for the D800's to drop to about $2K and I'm picking one up.
Probally about that time Nikon will bring out the D400 and I'll go that route.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.