http://g3.img-dpreview.com/0AF7FFE786D0495693EFABC0BB731E7A.jpg

http://g4.img-dpreview.com/1CC05110748F430A9698BEBFCDE5FD9F.jpg

http://g2.img-dpreview.com/760CA77FA23E40D588023123C4DCB06B.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few of my daughter

You have a beautiful daughter. I have a self-imposed rule that forbids me from commenting on family members. Others will joint in, but until, enjoy knowing you did good. Jim

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:10 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few of my daughter

Nice images.

I assume you are posting here for some additional help in making them better. First the lighting in all 3 is somewhat flat and on the harsh side especially for the last image. The poses for all 3 are directly into the camera; aka deer in the headlights. There is a reason models and fashion photographers can make a lot of money. There is also a reason for shooting lots and lots in a portrait session. In addition to lighting and the technical aspects it can be really difficult to get a relaxed pose with some sense of the individual.

Of the 3 images, I think your second is the best. The pose and expression are a bit more relaxed and the lighting seems a bit more subtle. You could probably improve all 3 images further by a bit more careful processing. I would try some burn and dodge but mainly darken the background so the face further draws and holds the viewer's attention.

I tried a tighter crop and darkened the background.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:26 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few of my daughter

Indeed, a beautiful daughter. I have tried to capture my own family members but I realize that I am not a good portrait guy so I generally leave it to the pros and concentrate on intimate family events. Just the gear for lighting alone makes it a highly specialized art.

The one thing I noticed with all of these was a softness. I know it is not good to have razor sharp detail on faces, but these just looked like the focus was someplace else, but I could not put my finger on where.

I like Jim's take and maybe adding some contrast was what was needed.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few of my daughter

+1 @ lovely daughter.

Also, +1 @ #2 being the most relaxed looking of the three. Even with as lovely and engaging of a subject as your daughter, these three illustrate that getting a person into a natural state that translates well via the camera isn't the easiest thing to do. Good portrait photographers are much more about people than they are about cameras.

That being said ... Dad has done pretty well, for a dad.

Karen is more versed @ portraits, but ... here's a stab @ #2.

Color correction for cyan cast
Lightening / sharpening @ eyes
Slight blur @ BG
Overall sharpening/levels tweak

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.