New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

tgbs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

Does anyone have an opinion on a Nikon 85mm F/2 Ai-S lens, there is one available in my area for about $200.00.

Should I buy it?

Mot

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 08:03 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:50 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

Welcome to FM!

I assume that it is the f/2? It is a pretty decent lens. What camera will you be using it on?

(go ticats )

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:59 PM
tgbs

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

Avi B wrote:
Welcome to FM!

I assume that it is the f/2? It is a pretty decent lens. What camera will you be using it on?

(go ticats )

Yes it is F/2, I would be using it on a D800. I do have a Rokinon 85 F/1.4, I would use it as an alternative due to its small size.

Congratulations, the Argos took it all this year.

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:09 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

I had the 85/2 a couple years ago shooting it mainly on my D80, D300 and a couple film cameras. I loved the construction and small size particularly. I also found it to be a very sharp lens. The 'but', and the reason I didn't hang onto it was to my eye it did not produce the contrast or 'punch' that I see from my other lenses. Very subjective, take it with a grain of salt.

For $200 it might be worth it to give it a try. I sold mine for $185 if I remember correctly...

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

When I was first building my kit of MF Nikkor lenses I tried this lens because it is so affordable. I paid a bit over $200 for the lens and was quite pleased with it. I eventually invested in its big brother, the 85 f/1.4 AI-s which is three times as expensive and certainly over twice as large. It is also a great lens. But since size is important to you, my guess is you would be happy with the f/2. The problem Tony refers to with regard to contrast can be easily handled in post processing if you're comfortable doing that kind of work. I've kept my f/2 on the off chance I'd want that focal length in a smaller package, but I find myself turning more often to the classic 105 f/2.5 AI-s when I want a smaller lens. If you're not familiar with that lens, you owe it to yourself to check it out. You should be able to find a copy of that lens in EX condition for around $200 as well. I know of NO ONE who knocks that lens.

Welcome to FM. You should be aware there is a very busy thread in the Nikon forum that is committed entirely to Nikon manual focus lenses mounted on Nikon cameras. A number of participants are shooting with the D800. If you're at all considering other MF lenses, you might want to check out that thread... "Manual Focus Nikon Glass" that is at or near the top of the page most days. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

tgbs wrote:
Yes it is F/2, I would be using it on a D800. I do have a Rokinon 85 F/1.4, I would use it as an alternative due to its small size.

Congratulations, the Argos took it all this year.

Yeah sounds like a good plan.

I'm from Hamilton. But pity, no jobs there, so now I live in Toronto... Anyway, happy shooting!

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:51 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

I had it for a while and it's a great lens. I also have the Rokinon 85 1.4 and it's one of my favorite lenses particularly for portraits and video. My advice is to save up for the 85 1.8G since you already have a great manual 85, or get the 105 2.5 AIS which is also better and goes for the same price and gives you more options in FL. The 85 1.8G and 105 2.5 are better on all levels and relatively light weight. But that's up to you, and welcome to FM

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

Good advice above.

It's a very good lens, but not as good as the 105/2.5, or the earlier 85/1.8 non-AI. The drawback to the 85/1.8, though, is that it's pretty heavy and bulky, and bokeh when stopped down to f/4 or so is weird and polygonal. For a compact lens that you're likely to use stopped down, the 85/2 is great. For something used more often at wide stops, the 85/1.8 is better.

$200 is probably a reasonable, though not amazing, price.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM
tgbs

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

I like to thank to all members that have replied to my post, with their very good advise.

I have decided not to buy the Nikon 85mm Ai-S, I will wait until a Nikon 105mm Ai-S comes along.

Thank for welcoming me to this forum, I have been a member since last year, check the forum daily for news and ideas.

Thank You

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 85mm Ai-S

I've got the Samyang 85, I don't find it to be a large lens. It is a fantastic value and a really special lens, IMO.

I've also got a 105/2.5 AI. I found it at a local flea market for $130. It is pretty much in brand new shape. Lovely lens as well.

If I saw a 85/2 locally, I wouldn't give it a thought, unless I could get it for under $100.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.