Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Transcend CF card

JEFFERY Z71
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Transcend CF card

Tony, just another option. Try a windows computer. A little off subject but.....
Several years ago I purchased several very inexpensive CF cards. They worked in camera but would not read on my windows computer. I have one of those HP printers with all the card slots. Stuck it in there and was able to read and download the images. Card never did work straight into the computer, but was always readable via the printer. Never could understand why.
Good luck.

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Transcend CF card

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried it with a Windows computer and it could not access the card either.

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Transcend CF card

Have you tried to copy the files from one card to another in a body with two memory card slots.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Transcend CF card

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Have you tried to copy the files from one card to another in a body with two memory card slots.

I only have a 7D. Which bodies can copy from one card to another within the camera, and what is the procedure for doing so?

Thanks,
Tony

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Transcend CF card

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Do you know if that will work when the camera cannot even access the card, or just guessing that I should give it a try?

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:31 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Transcend CF card

Imagemaster wrote:
Do you know if that will work when the camera cannot even access the card, or just guessing that I should give it a try?

To give it a try

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:37 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Transcend CF card

Mailed card off to Transcend today, and will post a report of the outcome whenever I get it back.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:18 AM
BeaverMan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Transcend CF card

ah sorry, you are right. i was thinking SD.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Not on a CF card you haven't. Cf cards don't have locks only SD

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:35 PM
kpc011895

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Transcend CF card

So if the card comes back from Transcend as "not their problem". I'd recommend finding one of you computer friends who has multiple computers with multiple OSs, like I do. And see if there are any OSs that will mount your card. Generally a version of Linux will do this very well because they will be able to do everything manually. If something doesn't work on a mac after a couple tries it is rare that you'll be able to get it to work.

Kenneth

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lotuselite
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Transcend CF card

I have a Sandisk Firewire CF card reader if you want to try something different. Not sure why it should make a difference but you never know. You can give me a call as I am just down the street at 1409.

Edit, See I am a bit late now that you have sent the card to Taiwan, good luck.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:41 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Transcend CF card

So much for Transcend date recovery:

We regret to inform you that Transcend has finished the data recovery process on your device, but no data could be recovered. Unfortunately the tools and techniques that were implemented for the recovery of your data were unsuccessful. We are sorry that we were unable to assist you with data recovery of your files.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:49 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Transcend CF card

Ouch, sorry to hear that Tony.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Transcend CF card

So, did they send you back your original card in the same state you sent it?

If they did I think you can do a quick format using DiskUtility (so it will mount) and then run a data recovery app which recovers files from a (quick) formatted drive. The files names will all be wrong but it should recover all of the images. I haven't tried this on a CF card or any other SSD but I have on FDDs and HDDs with perfect success.

Unless there is something actually broken about your card I have to conclude that the guys there at Transcend are nincompoops!

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Transcend CF card

They will send a new card to me.

You can conclude all you want, but I would think their techs in Taiwan are more competent at recovering data from their own cards than others are.

You are making an assumption that the data is recoverable. That is not always the case. As for Disk Utility, that was useless as the card would NOT mount.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Transcend CF card

Yeah, the likelihood that it is actually recoverable (anyway) is fairly high - so yes, I was assuming that.

You got not nothing at all? Absolutely nothing changed in the device lists after inserting it into the card-reader?

Anyway I guess it's moot as they're not sending it back to you. <shrug>

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Transcend CF card

Bifurcator wrote:
You got not nothing at all? Absolutely nothing changed in the device lists after inserting it into the card-reader?

That's right, and it was tried on three different card-readers, one Mac computer, and one Windows computer.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Transcend CF card

Ah, yeah, then the only thing even possible at that point would've been to desolder and transplant the chip into a working card. Might be worth it in some cases... Not sure about yours.

Anyway, sorry to hear you lost all those images. Bummer!

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password