New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Transcend CF card

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Transcend CF card

I was shooting until I got the message "CF card full" on my 7D. I removed that card and resumed shooting with another card. Now when I put the card in the camera, I get the message, "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera."

I am not about the format the card in my camera and lose the photos. I downloaded Transcend's RecoverX, but that is of no use since the card will not mount on my Mac. Disk Utility won't work since the card won't mount.

I'm not inclined to send the card somewhere and pay $200 to recover the photos.

Suggestions?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM
BeaverMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Transcend CF card

did you check the little tab on the side to see if it is locked? I know I have done that before.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Transcend CF card

BeaverMan wrote:
did you check the little tab on the side to see if it is locked? I know I have done that before.

Not on a CF card you haven't. Cf cards don't have locks only SD

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Transcend CF card

Tony,

A few suggestions:

1. If you have another DSLR, perhaps you can see if that can read the card in question.

2. Do a hard reset of your 7D by removing battery and backup battery. Leave these out and let the camera sit for 30 min. Then reinsert the batteries and power up the camera.

3. Check firmware and upgrade to latest version, if you haven't already.

Hope it helps.

Mitesh

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Transcend CF card

Thanks, Mitesh.

1. All other cards work fine, so it should not be the camera.

2. Same as #1.

3. Same as #1.

mitesh wrote:
Tony,

A few suggestions:

1. If you have another DSLR, perhaps you can see if that can read the card in question.

2. Do a hard reset of your 7D by removing battery and backup battery. Leave these out and let the camera sit for 30 min. Then reinsert the batteries and power up the camera.

3. Check firmware and upgrade to latest version, if you haven't already.

Hope it helps.

Mitesh

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:31 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Transcend CF card

I expect that you will be able to read the card, with no problems, on any external card reader.
After you've got the images off it, reformat the card and you'll be OK.

I don't have a 7D, but had this happen a couple of times with cards on Canon xxD bodies. Both times I had no problems reading the card with a card reader connected to my computer, and the cards worked fine in the camera after re-formatting.

Al

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:29 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Transcend CF card

Al, no, my card reader will not read the card.

Tony

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Transcend CF card

Tough luck. If the is drive readable at all, you may be able to recover the files with a data recovery program.

Transcend has a (free?) program called RecoveRx that you can download from their web site.
I've never used the Transcend program, but I've had good luck getting pictures off a corrupt card using RescuePro, which is a similar program available from Sandisk.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Transcend CF card

One general strategy for recovering data from corupted CFs: Do a google search for various recovery programs. They normally have a free trial mode available which will scan your card and if possible, list the files it can identify. If this program can identify the files it very likely can recover them from the CF. Once you have a program that can read the CF you can pay for that program with some confidence that it will work for you.
Mike K

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Transcend CF card

What is the computer you are using and where was the card formatted originally?
I know for instance that if the card was formatted NTSF then a Mac will not read it. It must be Fat32 or the newer exFAT in order for a Mac to read.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Transcend CF card

aborr wrote:
Tough luck. If the is drive readable at all, you may be able to recover the files with a data recovery program.

Transcend has a (free?) program called RecoveRx that you can download from their web site.
I've never used the Transcend program, but I've had good luck getting pictures off a corrupt card using RescuePro, which is a similar program available from Sandisk.

RecoveRx will not work because you have to have the card mounted on your computer. The card will not mount via either my camera or a card reader.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Transcend CF card

Mike K wrote:
One general strategy for recovering data from corupted CFs: Do a google search for various recovery programs. They normally have a free trial mode available which will scan your card and if possible, list the files it can identify. If this program can identify the files it very likely can recover them from the CF. Once you have a program that can read the CF you can pay for that program with some confidence that it will work for you.
Mike K

Like I said, I am not interested in paying $200 to have the images recovered.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Transcend CF card

Mickey wrote:
What is the computer you are using and where was the card formatted originally?
I know for instance that if the card was formatted NTSF then a Mac will not read it. It must be Fat32 or the newer exFAT in order for a Mac to read.

Like my other 5 identical cards, it was formatted on my 7D. The other 4 cards work, this one does not.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Transcend CF card

Transcend says I have two options:

1. Send it back to them and they will replace it with the loss of all photos.

2. Send it back to them and they will send it to Taiwan and recover the photos, then send the card along with the images on a DVD back to me. This process can take up to 3 months.

I am just waiting to see if this applies only to U.S. residents.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Transcend CF card

Imagemaster wrote:
Like I said, I am not interested in paying $200 to have the images recovered.

Most of the programs are on the order of $25, plus with this approach you have a very high probabilty of success.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Transcend CF card

Mike K wrote:
Most of the programs are on the order of $25, plus with this approach you have a very high probabilty of success.

ALL of the software programs that I have seen, REQUIRE that the CF card will mount on your computer. Since this card will not mount, none of those programs would work.

If you can direct me to another method that works, I would like to hear about it.

And if Transcend has to send a CF card to Taiwan to recover the photos, I am sure these software programs would not work in this particular case.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Transcend CF card

"Won't mount" covers a lot of ground. I'm not sure what your level of computer knowledge is, but a good disk recovery program will still work when the directory and file system metadata is seriously f***ed up and mount commands with the "usual" options will fail.

It may be that the card is too far gone for you to recover with RescuePro or similar software, but don't give up just because the MacOS GUI doesn't see it as a normal FAT file system and fails to mount it.

Ignore this advice if you've already spent a bunch of time in the shell with low level disk utilities and have ascertained why it won't mount or have tried a couple of recovery programs without succcess - otherwise the disk recovery software is worth a try. A good recovery program will still work even when a lot of the normal file system metadata that 'mount' looks for is missing or damaged.

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Transcend CF card

Since I am in no hurry to recover the images, I think I will just let Transcend recover them for me at no charge.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Transcend CF card

Sounds like you've tried a bunch of different approaches, but I did not read (hope I did not miss it) trying the card on a different reader on a different computer. You may luck out that way.

Best of luck to you, I've had a failure once and nothing I did got the card back, I did not send out for expensive data recovery either. Fortunately, the session was spread out on different cards (i'm not that smart, someone was looking out for me :-) ) and I got enough off the other cards. I now shoot with a camera with dual card slots with in camera backup for important sessions!

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:35 AM
craigbess
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Transcend CF card

Do you have a Windows machine you can try to mount it to?
I've had drives not mount to my mac because of format issues, but had success hooking to them up to a windows machine..

Will disk utility even see the card? If so that's a good sign, just means the format is unreadable.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.