New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · double chin problems

JaneG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · double chin problems

Hi

I have been having a problem with a client headshot and have been researching how to avoid the double chin. I wasn't happy with the results and neither was she, but we were rushed. she a lady in her 40's/50s and the neck and jaw does need some help.

Sorry I can't post the pictures, its too sensitive for my client..I'm going back for a reshoot and this time I will be better prepared. Its good that the client is happy to let me try again and its a useful learning experience. we have to nail the shot as the deadline is fast approaching for publication.

I found this video and im going to try this approach this week and even have a go in the mirror myself to practivce my coaching.

http://laughingsquid.com/the-disappearing-double-chin-trick-for-portrait-photography/

any more tips?

Jane

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · double chin problems

Two tips: shoot from above, have her lift her chin, shoot from standing on a box or high up... It messes with backgrounds, etc, but it helps stretch the neck out and limit chins... Second, if you have someone extend the head forward, kinda like imitating a chicken, it looks stupid in real life, but isn't noticeable in pictures generally and has the same effect.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
BOB WOOD
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · double chin problems

What I do is to have the client sit down and stiffen the backbone. Then have them lean well over their belly button. Then have them lift the head up. This will tighten up the neck mucles. Try it your self. Also shoot from a slightly higher position.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:59 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · double chin problems

rffffffff wrote:
Second, if you have someone extend the head forward, kinda like imitating a chicken, it looks stupid in real life, but isn't noticeable in pictures generally and has the same effect.

When I do this I have them stick the head forward just enough to get rid of the chins. You don't want to overdo it.

brad

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:21 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · double chin problems

Basically the same as mentioned and looking at that video is the right plan. I always have client in a chair and I shoot down around 30 degrees. Long lens and the longer the better, 150-200mm. If standing which like I said I don't like because you not only deal with a face but also a body. A stiff body turns into a stiff looking face portrait. In a chair the body is under control and more relaxed without me doing anything to it. If you must stand then go 30 degrees higher using a chair and shoot down for same effect. Slight turn with the upper body so not flat with camera, face out toward me and slightly down. The video mentioned forhear out and that says it all! Watch for a slight shadow to frame the face, very slight for women.

I would take several normal shots first then work into the face tilt forward as not to have the client thinking about it or really knowing what i am trying to do. Too much thinking means stiff facial muscles and image. I prefer to get my clients to do what I want but not over think it. Works great with blondes. Harder with lawyers who like to be in charge but you just take over anyway. A 'V' neck will also help reduce how wide the face looks.It is an illusion but works. No wide rounded necklines if you want to look thinner. Cover the arms and mostly the shoulders. Again the skin showing pulls you wider. The normal shots taken will also make the difference very easy to see and mentally help the client to like the new improved look even if not perfect.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · double chin problems

Start by asking her to put her tongue on the roof of her mouth. That will remove one chin most times.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:00 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · double chin problems

Never heard that one Vancouver. Nice. Learn something new everyday!

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · double chin problems

Nobody nails it better than Peter Hurley, so if you follow his tips, you're going to improve. One thing that bears mentioning is the need for the subject to lean forward from the waist. Most people sit back, especially when a camera is pointed at them. It's a defensive posture that automatically pushes the chin down and makes the body look heavier than it is, especially if you're shooting at eye level. Having a posing table next to or in front of the subject will help to get her to lean forward, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:42 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.