Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

First basketball of the season for me and the first time out with the Canon 1d IV I just purchased. The scrimmage was split between 2 gyms and the second gym had only 3' between the baseline and the wall. C&C always welcome.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF85mm f/1.8 USM lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF85mm f/1.8 USM lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF85mm f/1.8 USM lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF85mm f/1.8 USM lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

A few more.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF85mm f/1.8 USM lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:27 AM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

nice shots

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:37 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Thanks CW100.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Bill: What is it about the first shot (meaning the exact conditions characterizing your making of that image) that sets it so far apart from the rest of this set? (The last shot has similarly strong technical qualities, but without faces it's harder to see.) That's the question I'd be asking myself if these were my photos, and I'd move forward with the goal of getting more shots like the first one. (To further my point, that third shot, by comparison to the first, looks like it was made with an older point-and-shoot. Why? What's the difference in how these images were made? Is it the backlighting? Did you have to rely on significant recovery in post? What's the explanation?)

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

You know what I'm surprised at Russ, look at how poorly the 85MM even stopped down to F2.8 which is more than one stop from wide open has handled the CA. I'm sure in PS or LR you could remove it but dang.

I also see a lot more noise than I would have expected to see. I remember my 1DMKIV handling ISO 8000 better than that.

Matt

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Russ & Matt: Thanks for the comments. The first and second shots were in the main gym with fluorescent lights and room to work behind the baseline. Shots 3 & 4 are in a secondary gym with sodium lights and strong daylight behind the players as seen in shot 4. The secondary gym only had 3' between the wall and baseline so I was forced to shoot from the corner and I knew the mixed back-lighting was causing problems I wasn't dealing with very well (I was underexposing the faces). The last 3 shots I moved across the court so the windows were behind me.

In hindsight standing may have cut the back-lighting I was getting while kneeling and I should have crossed the court earlier, as I knew the lighting was going to give me trouble. I purchased the 1DMIV on the B&S Board and only had a day to familiarize myself with the camera before heading to the scrimmage. Not being familiar with the mark IV noise it looked better than my 7D could do. I do have trouble correcting lighting color shifts and I know I let it slide when I shouldn't.

I would appreciate any setting recommendations you have for the mark IV.

Thanks,
Bill

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

1st shot is nice and clean Bill, 3rd shot a heavy crop? Too much noise for that body, I should know If you can ever afford the 70-200 2.8 IS MKII get it, that body loves that lens.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

darian9991

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Very nice pics. It seems as if you didn't need to go any higher than iso 5000. 6400 also wasn't bad, but at 8000, that was pushing it, especially because it seemed as if you were getting a lot of sunlight from the windows, but it's good to experiment. A job well done.

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:47 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

#1 is especially great, great framing, great action, great highlights, great background. Great!

Thanks for posting.

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:52 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

John, the problems were using the wrong lens, underexposing and not getting in the best location, not the camera. The first shot was full frame and the 3rd was too much crop. I had a 70-200 f2.8 mark I with me but I never used it, which was obviously a mistake. Here are the first and 3rd images uncropped.

Bill

#1 SOOC

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    85mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

#3 SOOC

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    85mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:34 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

I figured 3 was a heavy crop with how the noise looked. They look good and you'll have fun

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Bill: If you can't bring the lens to the action, you have to wait for the action to come to you. I was sure #3 wasn't a keeper without seeing the original image, but seeing the original image, well, that's an insane crop in the best of conditions and there aren't many cameras that are going to allow you to pull it off. It's my opinion that one of the keys to good photography is knowing your limits, and I'll go out on a limb and say those limits were seriously violated with the shot you posted. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to provide you with the C&C you asked for. Think of how much easier your photographic life would be if you didn't even take shots like that one, or if you did, canned them during the first run through your take.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:53 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

John and Russ, I know I tend to outreach my equipment and need to be more patient. My normal shooting location would have taken between 30-50% off the distance for that shot and I didn't think to adjust by using the longer lens I had with me. Hopefully lesson learned and I will change lenses when needed. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the harsh comments, that's what makes me work to improve. I cannot improve if I only get pats on the back.

Bill

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HS Boys Basketball Scrimmage

Bill: Yes, it's all about learning from the mistakes, which are oh so easy to make, and trying to improve each time out. I find it very useful to think through in very specific terms what I will do differently the next time shooting the same sport. For me, mulling it over, having a specific plan and setting specific goals all help to make it more likely I actually do make progress. I'll look forward to seeing where you go from here.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password