Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · emulating tri-color in photoshop

frank gross
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · emulating tri-color in photoshop

Hello,

I found this website today
http://www.photoconservation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:three-color-carbro&catid=37hotographic-processes&Itemid=57

and I would like to ask for some information how I can achieve those skin colour tones in photoshop?
I understand that lighting and make-up play a part, but I am trying to understand the proportions and mixing of the colour channels - it seems Yellow, Cyan, Magenta are stronger? Others desaturated?

Thank you for any help.

Frank

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · emulating tri-color in photoshop

I'm not sure exactly what you're after when you say "those" skin colour tones.

If you mean like what is displayed in the two samples on that page, those samples are quite different so the settings emulating one are not going to be close to the settings emulating the other. Gina is very yellow-green. Jane has much less green but is still yellow-biased.

If you mean emulation of the carbro process in general, I think that is going to be tough, too. You would either need a formula that someone else has already figured out (and perhaps has translated to some kind of profile or presets for software like Photoshop or Lightroom) or access to some carbro prints from which to make your own formulas, profiles or presets.

Most companies that make presets and profiles for film stocks concentrate on more common stocks like Kodachrome, Fuji, etc.. I don't think I have ever seen one for carbro. You could double-check the offerings from companies like DXO, VSCO film, onOne, Nik Software, and Alien Skin.

If trying to create your own emulation process/profile/preset, your first problem is going to be getting reliable samples and then figure out if you want to filter out any aging effects that have occurred over time. It almost seems like you are trying to emulate the "process" that carbro used in Photoshop and I don't think that is really going to work. One process is chemical and one is digital. The only reasonable way to get there is to work backwards from a final print taking color samples.

I think your best bet is going to be to hang out on restoration and film forums and see if people who actually have access to carbro prints could give you some suggestions regarding the typical color and tone characteristics of that process. I tried "emulate carbro photoshop" in Google but most of what I got was your own posts. This thread did look interesting though if you haven't seen it:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61602.html

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:45 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #3 · emulating tri-color in photoshop

Thank you very much for this info. All helpful.
Yes, you are right in assuming I am just trying to emulate the look of the tri-col / carbro prints. I didn't mean the 2 portraits in the link specifically. I am partially col blind (in the red & green spectrum) and have a hard time looking at all these images (online) and trying to decipher the balance of colors - which are de-saturated & which are not. A software preset or an action would be ideal. I will look at the companies you suggest.

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · emulating tri-color in photoshop

Wow. You like a challenge!

"characteristics carbro print" turns up some interesting links on Google that might be helpful. If you don't find a commercial preset/profile that is satisfying, some of the samples in those links might help. With your color blindness, I would suggest bringing the samples into PS and using the color dropper to take samples. Definitely won't be easy.

Keep in mind, too, that you are bound to encounter variances due to age, ambient color temperature where the image was taken, processing variations, etc.. You may just want to experiment with some of the commercial profiles/presets and see if you can find one that you like that sort of seems "carbro-like". There are also free film presets and formulas out there if you look around. Here is just one of many sites of this type:

http://www.thelightsright.com/view/LRPresets

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password