Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Horse Rider Silhouette

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Hello everyone,

Looking for feedback on this image. Does it work for you? Does the black mass (a shrubbery?) on the bottom right distracts? Is it a problem that he's not the 'usual' horse rider (check his clothing, sandals and hat)?

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: forgot some basic EXIF info - 420mm f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/1600 sec.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Shrubbery? Is this Monte Python?

Not my style, but it seems to be well done.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:12 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #3 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Thanks for the feedback, Ben.

I'm sorry about the Monty Python reference, but I don't really know the word in english for that - should it be simply 'shrub'? Or perhaps something completely different?

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Horse Rider Silhouette

I like the color, the splash and the effect of the trees or whatever they are in the distance.

For me though the outline of the silhouette needs to provide a compelling image. "Compelling" may mean recognizable or distinct or unique or perhaps a combination of some of those things. Here, the silhouette is a sort-of confusing conglomerate of the rider and the horse. It's not horrible by any means but I do think this was a terrific setting and a profile here would have been a stronger image.

The shrubbery/tree blob isn't horrible either but I do think it takes away a bit from the otherwise unique and painterly horizon.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #5 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Personally I would dodge the shrubbery as it competes with the rider.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #6 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Thank you for the feedback, Oregon Gal and Eyeball.

Tried to dodge the tree blob a little, do you think it's enough?

Eyeball, I do agree that a profile here would have made a stronger image, this is something I'll keep in mind for my next silhouettes (to make the shape as simple, as clean and as easily recognizable as possible).

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Horse Rider Silhouette

gneto wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Ben.

I'm sorry about the Monty Python reference, but I don't really know the word in english for that - should it be simply 'shrub'? Or perhaps something completely different?

I love that movie, no problem on the term, just not a common way to put it here in the USA, maybe its common usage in England but it was an English film and presented as a sort of joke. I could not resist the reference.

Not to put down your image. I really don't have much I can say on this image but I hate to see an honest effort get few replies. This is sort of "I looked" message.

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:17 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #8 · Horse Rider Silhouette

ben egbert wrote:
I love that movie, no problem on the term, just not a common way to put it here in the USA, maybe its common usage in England but it was an English film and presented as a sort of joke. I could not resist the reference.

I love that movie too. Was one of the first movies I started watching with absolutely no subtitles for improving/learning english, really good movie but was not a good choice for learning purposes - I think I only understood most of the dialogues by the 3rd time I watched it, definitely not the easiest english around. But it got worse, my next learning movie was Snatch... well my english got better

Not to put down your image. I really don't have much I can say on this image but I hate to see an honest effort get few replies. This is sort of "I looked" message.

Yes, I could tell this from your first message, thanks

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #9 · Horse Rider Silhouette

gneto, I think the dodging on the shrubbery is fine, you did a nice job.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:08 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #10 · Horse Rider Silhouette

Thank you for the feedback Oregon Gal, despite being just a small area, it was quite tricky to do it - I guess I need more practice

Nov 25, 2012 at 07:39 PM
crabcakes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Horse Rider Silhouette

I love it, especially after dodging the shrubbery. I LOVE your use of "shrubbery", and since I saw the Monty Python movie many many years ago, I too use the word "shrubbery" along with telling my grandchildren that their "injuries" are just "flesh wounds!".

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:30 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #12 · Horse Rider Silhouette

crabcakes wrote:
I love it, especially after dodging the shrubbery. I LOVE your use of "shrubbery", and since I saw the Monty Python movie many many years ago, I too use the word "shrubbery" along with telling my grandchildren that their "injuries" are just "flesh wounds!".

Thank you for your feedback, crabcakes .

Telling your grandchildren their injuries are just flesh wounds is epic!

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password